You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Sattellite near the bubble, shove/fold?

edited May 2011 in The Poker Clinic
I'm 5/12 with 10 seats available.

The avg stack for the seat is 42k.

There are 2/3 stacks of 20k or lower.

------------------------------------------

The villain has been on my table alot and has been playing back, however that was when he had a good re-shoving stack, and needed to get more chips before he could nit up for the seat.

He's now above avg for the seat.

I have nop previous history, but he's a winniong player with a consistant winning graph on skope.

I have to conclude he wont be making a loose call against me here.

------------------------------------------
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
DOHHHHHHH Small blind  3000.00 3000.00 37148.22
LINSTA Big blind  6000.00 9000.00 45353.00
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • A

Leyster Fold     
CrazyBen23 Fold     
Wacko90 Fold     
Gunnarsten Fold     
DOHHHHHHH All-in  37148.22 46148.22 0.00
LINSTA All-in  45353.00 91501.22 0.00
LINSTA Unmatched bet  11204.78 80296.44 11204.78
DOHHHHHHH Show
  • J
  • A

LINSTA Show
  • A
  • A

Flop

• Q

Turn

River

LINSTA Win Two Pairs, Aces and 8s 80296.44  91501.22
----------------------------------------

Thoughts????

Comments

• edited May 2011

im thinking fold even with the info you have.

its a sat and your sitting comfortably. the big blind is someone who can knock you out and your only playing for 10th.

if he folds youve got 9k you dont desperatley need. he doesnt call much here but when he does your almost always out.

I can see why you've shoved though and i would have done the same with the limited time you have to make your decision lol. after thinking about it though i think its a hard to make fold.

• edited May 2011

i shove, he can only call with top 3 hands imo just UL dude

case can be said for nit folding as you didnt need to risk it but i make same move here

• edited May 2011
  • edited May 2011

I cried! Poured my beer away and went to bed.
  • edited May 2011
    if im Linsta im only calling your shove with ONE hand lol
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: Sattellite near the bubble, shove/fold?:
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    LOL , u did log off prettty sharpish
  • edited May 2011
     For me this is a very easy decision. You wait for your timer to run all the way down and then fold.

You are sat in a very comfortable position and after this hand you are out of the blinds for the next 4 hands.
     The whole purpose of satellite play is nothing other than survival. When the bubble bursts it does not matter if you have 1 chip or 1,000,000.So i just can not see the point here of risking your seat in order to steal the big blind.if there were 7 or 8+ knockouts required before the bubble then the shove would be the optimum move but this close when you are comfortable with 4 hands of no expense to come folding i think is definately the way to go.Followed by maximum thinking time on every decision from this point onwards.
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Sattellite near the bubble, shove/fold?:
    I'm 5/12 with 10 seats available. The avg stack for the seat is 42k. There are 2/3 stacks of 20k or lower. ------------------------------------------ The villain has been on my table alot and has been playing back, however that was when he had a good re-shoving stack, and needed to get more chips before he could nit up for the seat. He's now above avg for the seat. I have nop previous history, but he's a winniong player with a consistant winning graph on skope. I have to conclude he wont be making a loose call against me here. ------------------------------------------ Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance DOHHHHHHH Small blind   3000.00 3000.00 37148.22 LINSTA Big blind   6000.00 9000.00 45353.00   Your hole cards J A       Leyster Fold         CrazyBen23 Fold         Wacko90 Fold         Gunnarsten Fold         DOHHHHHHH All-in   37148.22 46148.22 0.00 LINSTA All-in   45353.00 91501.22 0.00 LINSTA Unmatched bet   11204.78 80296.44 11204.78 DOHHHHHHH Show J A       LINSTA Show A A       Flop     8 Q 5       Turn     7       River     8       LINSTA Win Two Pairs, Aces and 8s 80296.44   91501.22 ---------------------------------------- Thoughts????
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

Dooohhhh, mate what can I say I know your pain, remember I went out in 11th in this tournie shoving with top pair against trip 3s, it was analysed on the poker clinic and they said it was either an automatic fold or shove pre flop (i limped). If I played the hand again, it would be a fold every time.

I dont think im in a position to offer you any advice but you where chipped up, sometimes the adrenalin gets the better of you. It did for me.

UL mate. Keep grinding.
  • edited May 2011
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    This was me 9 days ago, still havnt played since lol.

Must get back on the waggon............
  • edited May 2011
     For me this is a very easy decision. You wait for your timer to run all the way down and then fold.   You are sat in a very comfortable position and after this hand you are out of the blinds for the next 4 hands.

we have 6bbs this is not a comfortable position by any means its super std shove and if there are a few short stacks villain should be folding everything except AA
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: Sattellite near the bubble, shove/fold? :
     For me this is a very easy decision. You wait for your timer to run all the way down and then fold.   You are sat in a very comfortable position and after this hand you are out of the blinds for the next 4 hands. we have 6bbs this is not a comfortable position by any means its super std shove and if there are a few short stacks villain should be folding everything except AA
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    Mission de-tilt dohhh accomplished wp lol raise :)
  • edited May 2011
    If he was constantly shoving into me i would of prolly got tilted as normal and shoved without thinking.. can just fold ur way to a ticket rly
  • edited May 2011
      I think the point you are making is valid but not in this situation. The average stack in this tourny is 7BB so most people are very short and with 7 people with shorter stacks 6BB is quite comfortable. The whole point of a satellite is not to win but to get your seat for the next tourny. 2 away from that seat and just about to exit the blinds with 7 shorter stacks around makes his chipstack very nicely set up to win the seat and the necessity of risking everything to steal 1BB is not there.

I personally think he can fold pre the next 10 hands losing 1.5BB in total and this will be enough for the bubble to burst and job done.

If it was further away from the bubble or just a cash bubble then i would agree with you entirely, but as this is a satellite then it changes the dynamics totally.
  • edited May 2011
    this is a shove. We can't pass up opportunities like this when our boy folds all but three hands. We get a v important bb, making qualifying a lot easier.
  • edited May 2011
    yeah its only 1 BB but its six more hands crow foot
  • edited May 2011
    All the people saying shove weren't playing the tournment, there was no need to shove if you were watching the other table - everytime we are in the big blind dosen;t mean we lose it, 80% of the time everyone was folding
  • edited May 2011
    I 'm not sure what u should do, but most people advocating a shove are doing so as they think his calling range is tiny so I'm wondering do they think we should shove any 2 here?
  • edited May 2011
  • edited May 2011
    I 'm not sure what u should do, but most people advocating a shove are doing so as they think his calling range is tiny so I'm wondering do they think we should shove any 2 here?
    Posted by grantorino
    this is a very good point and given Dohhhs read on the opponent(flimsy as it maty be) yes i would be shoving pretty wide in this spot

what he should call with and what he could call with could be two very different things
  • edited May 2011
    Regretting starting this thread now. everytime I open the clinic it makes me think about it again !!!!

I felt alot better and had forgotton all about it after the early replies.

But Ben is probably right, I didn't have to do it.

Still dunno how he can find aces there though, it's just the way things r going at the mo ! :'(

• edited May 2011
    For me its probably one of the most standard shoves i cud think off. u wer just redic ul.

Its pretty results orientated to say fold into the seat wiv 6bb coz we lost.

I dont think you could wish for a better spot to get ur chippies in.