You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

NIT ALERT! AQ facing big raise on ace high flop...

edited May 2011 in The Poker Clinic
I don't see what hes check raising me with that im beating, the best hand he check raises that im beating is AJ and hes not doing that with AJ, no draws out there, was tempted to check the flop for some reason, wish i did now.

Do you fold here? Think hes a reg or is that another hardman with some numbers after it? :S so prob tight, my guess is 88

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceSANDFORDSmall blind £0.20£0.20£37.40F_IvanovicBig blind £0.40£0.60£39.60 Your hole cardsAQ   bingo633Fold    studsyRaise £0.80£1.40£34.71hardman07Call £0.80£2.20£49.37CrazyBen23Raise £3.20£5.40£87.40SANDFORDFold    F_IvanovicCall £2.80£8.20£36.80studsyFold    hardman07Call £2.40£10.60£46.97Flop  KA8   F_IvanovicCheck    hardman07Check    CrazyBen23Bet £6.80£17.40£80.60F_IvanovicFold    hardman07Raise £19.20£36.60£27.77CrazyBen23Fold    hardman07Muck    hardman07Win £22.99 £50.76hardman07Return £12.40£1.21£63.16PrevClose windowNext

Comments

• edited May 2011
    yh hes a reg 33rd in that league thing so sud be playing fairly tight

+ sat with 100bs i hv him covered
  • edited May 2011
    way action plays pre and post my mind goes straight to 8's, he calls a raise then calls behind the initial raiser, calling your three bet.  He's likely hoping you have AK/Q
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: NIT ALERT! AQ facing big raise on ace high flop...:
    way action plays pre and post my mind goes straight to 8's, he calls a raise then calls behind the initial raiser, calling your three bet.  He's likely hoping you have AK/Q
    Posted by AMYBR
    Soulreads ftw ;)
  • edited May 2011
  • edited May 2011
    im not folding for 100bbs, id cbet quite alot smaller aswell
  • edited May 2011
    Why did you 3bet pre? (Not saying its bad, just interested in your reasoning)

Did you just put nit in your title, or have you reads that he is a nit? How does original raiser play? Has there been much 3 betting? What is your image likely to be to villains? These are all factors in how we play the hand

I'm generally not a fan ot folding TP in 3bet pots, but you are slightly deep and its hard see him bluffing/value raising worse, so fold I guess.
  • edited May 2011
    3bet pre so blinds dint come in aswell, wanted it heads up.

I meant nit as in am i making a too nitty fold, wasn't that much of an interested hand looking back, i just posted it straight away after it happened lol

And well dunno about how they play and all that cos im always on aloda tables, people go in a few sectoins for me, reg, unknown with notes that hes a muppet and just unknown ppl who i wanna play against cos there easiet to make ££ from

and yh lol_raise cbet is abit too big, dunno about getting it in tho lol
  • edited May 2011

While getting it heads up is probably nice for us, Im not 3betting unless I know someone is likely to call with worse when i have AQs.  You are trying to get heads up with raiser, whether this is a good plan depends a lot on how wide he calls 3bets

Folding TP in 3bet pots usually means you are making a mistake somewhere in the hand. In this case I really cant see an unknown reggy looking villain doing it with worse, and folding is fine imo. I prob wouldnt be folding against original raiser though (or else i wouldnt be 3betting pre)

• edited May 2011
    Well its also not only getting it heads up, its making us take the innecitive, (cant spell) and what do you mean 'I prob wouldnt be folding against original raiser though (or else i wouldnt be 3betting pre)' so you'd just call pre? problem with this is it gets us in a pickle with a good looking hand but someone can hv a raggy ace with two pair or smth or a set, which i'd prob call down with = costing more money, but by 3betting like this it makes hardmans hand easy to spot
  • edited May 2011
    Yh defo flat pre IP, 3bet just makes a crazy big pot with a not massive hand. On flop close to folding but I probably wouldn't.
  • edited May 2011
    Well its also not only getting it heads up, its making us take the innecitive, (cant spell) and what do you mean 'I prob wouldnt be folding against original raiser though (or else i wouldnt be 3betting pre)' so you'd just call pre? problem with this is it gets us in a pickle with a good looking hand but someone can hv a raggy ace with two pair or smth or a set, which i'd prob call down with = costing more money, but by 3betting like this it makes hardmans hand easy to spot
    Posted by CrazyBen23
    First of all I dont mind anything you did in the hand

Bet basically for 2 reasons, to get value from worse hands calling, or as a bluff to get better hands to fold. There are other reasons to bet sometimes, but these are the really important ones

If you 3bet pre it should be for value (bluffing with AQ sounds really bad to me) so worse hands should call. If the original raiser calls with more better hands than worse then 3betting is bad. Gaining initiative is nice, but its not so great if his calling/raising range crushes us.

So when I 3bet pre its because I think villain can have hands like AJ here and 100BB deep I'm happy to get it in. If he cant have hands like AJ then 3betting pre was probably a mistake
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: NIT ALERT! AQ facing big raise on ace high flop... : First of all I dont mind anything you did in the hand Bet basically for 2 reasons, to get value from worse hands calling, or as a bluff to get better hands to fold. There are other reasons to bet sometimes, but these are the really important ones If you 3bet pre it should be for value (bluffing with AQ sounds really bad to me) so worse hands should call. If the original raiser calls with more better hands than worse then 3betting is bad. Gaining initiative is nice, but its not so great if his calling/raising range crushes us. So when I 3bet pre its because I think villain can have hands like AJ here and 100BB deep I'm happy to get it in. If he cant have hands like AJ then 3betting pre was probably a mistake
    Posted by grantorino
    Ah right i see, i think regs wouldn't call with worse rly like AJ but non regs prob would, so i hv to think about who to 3bet this sorta hand with and hv reads... tyyy for advice :D