You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Was this the best way of playing this monster?

edited May 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Did i play this monster proply? It payed off in the end though and yay i made thursdays £33 bounty hunter final not bad from £1.60 entry :)Hand History #370447398 (22:45 10/05/2011)PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancemaddarterSmall blind 100.00100.005760.00biggs10Big blind 200.00300.001953.32 Your hole cardsKK   tonytubs65Fold    gerryatricFold    oakley04Call 200.00500.004603.34adz777Raise 600.001100.0014228.34maddarterFold    biggs10Fold    oakley04Call 400.001500.004203.34Flop  95K   oakley04Check    adz777Check    Turn  K   oakley04Bet 200.001700.004003.34adz777Call 200.001900.0014028.34River  5   oakley04Bet 200.002100.003803.34adz777Raise 600.002700.0013428.34oakley04Call 400.003100.003403.34adz777ShowKK   oakley04Muck66   adz777WinFour Kings3100.00 16528.34

Comments

• edited May 2011
    i would raise bigger on the river, like to 1000 or so
  • edited May 2011
    ummmm

always tough to say, in a satellite people play a lot tighter so perhaps- I think in this instance, you're not getting much more. There's just no hands that can play back at you. I still think think that my preferred play here would be betting one of the first two streets- you're in position, which makes it a lot easier.

When people raise preflop, they c-bet almost all the time. Unfortunately, that's also an ideal board to c-bet- only 1 high card which is bang on your range, so it looks believable, and as you actually have top set the chances of him having a king are minimal. So checking behind to try and get him to hang himself isn't the worst idea. If you do bet it, I'd have a short dwell up before betting 1000- people sometimes mistake that for weakness. If he calls, absolutely check that turn and see if he tries a crazy river play.

If you check flop, I definitely bet turn. This is a little more risky- if he has something, he'll be more likely to call you since he thinks you're trying to buy the pot, but with 1 card to come- if he doesn't have much, he always folds. Probably folds if he's on the draw too. 

River, better off making a much bigger raise, but if you've had a bet before, you can try and get a little more out of him. Don't be so concerned about him folding that you miss out on potential value when he has a random 5 or something.

WD on qualifying for the BH, best of luck! :)
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: Was this the best way of playing this monster?:
    ummmm always tough to say, in a satellite people play a lot tighter so perhaps- I think in this instance, you're not getting much more. There's just no hands that can play back at you. I still think think that my preferred play here would be betting one of the first two streets- you're in position, which makes it a lot easier. When people raise preflop, they c-bet almost all the time. Unfortunately, that's also an ideal board to c-bet- only 1 high card which is bang on your range, so it looks believable, and as you actually have top set the chances of him having a king are minimal. So checking behind to try and get him to hang himself isn't the worst idea. If you do bet it, I'd have a short dwell up before betting 1000- people sometimes mistake that for weakness. If he calls, absolutely check that turn and see if he tries a crazy river play. If you check flop, I definitely bet turn. This is a little more risky- if he has something, he'll be more likely to call you since he thinks you're trying to buy the pot, but with 1 card to come- if he doesn't have much, he always folds. Probably folds if he's on the draw too.  River, better off making a much bigger raise, but if you've had a bet before, you can try and get a little more out of him. Don't be so concerned about him folding that you miss out on potential value when he has a random 5 or something. WD on qualifying for the BH, best of luck! :)
    Posted by DeucesLive

Thanks for the good feedback :) much appreciated and thanks 

• edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: Was this the best way of playing this monster?:
    i would raise bigger on the river, like to 1000 or so
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    i put him on a high pocket pair or a ace high with maybe the 9 or even the 5 the way the betting and calling was going i made the 600 bet look weak as i was hoping he'd come over the top if he'd hit the full house or if he thought his 2 pair was good? but probly like you said making it 1000 he would of called anyway if he'd hit hit, again thanks for the feedback much appreciated :)
  • edited May 2011
    Just me, but I lead flop, if he folds here it was unlikely he had many hands to improve to anyhow.  I'd rather put a bet out and hope he peels or maybe looks to play back at me. 

Chances are as good he thinks your C betting with a wide range as they are that he floats/plays back at you.  May as well get some chips in going to the turn.  As i said he folds flop, likely he folds turn, equally he called the turn, chances are he calls flop bet.
  • edited May 2011
    bet flop, raise river bigger
  • edited May 2011
    shove the river - your only getting action from a house so hopefully there house is big enough to call
    just put the pressure on, takes a very good player to lay down a house, so stick it to em.

Massive hands like these are so rare and so hard to get value out of as only big hands will pay you.
    Whatever you manage to get is a bonus and is soley dependant on the villians hand so whatever you do is good.