You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Odd spot, with Reg player. What line to take on river?

edited May 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Live £1/2 cash game 7 handed.  I bought in for £250, turned it into around £620 over three hours.  I'm not playing my A game, but am connecting well.

There's a guy at the table who I've played with at Leeds a couple of times.  He's a bit of an any 2 guy, with no real understanding of the game or how to extract value.  This is pretty key to the hand will go into more detail in a moment.

I find 9d10 UTG, bit of a limpy table, I limp.  Game hasnt been too lively pre, get to the flop see what happens.  Any 2 chappie Limps the button, SB completes, BB says go ahead.  Readless on Blinds

£8 in pot flop comes out 8d9cKs.

Blinds check I check back feeling like I likely have best hand, but want to see any 2 guys action, then intend to bet turn.  Any 2 guy checks back

£8 pot 8d9cKs   Jd

In principle a good card.  Open ended STR FLSH, up and down str draw, 4 to a flush... 1 pr.  Blinds check.  I make it £6, any 2 guy click raiss me to £12, instantly.  Blinds fold.

I'm always calling, but I've only seen him do this with the nuts in the past.  In the past he then has proceeded to min raise any bet made on the river, just getting no value at all.  Maybe it could be a ploy to get played back at.  But this hand was like a carbon copy of another hand i'd played where i had a set and he'd turned a disguised insane straight.

Anywho I call  £32 pot 8d9cKs  Jd  9s

So I miss the big hands but make trips. (With 9d10d).  I am a a nit, also you guys know I fall in love with my reads.  But the hand just feels so familier!  I think about repping the boat or 10Q, but he isnt going to fold the kind of hand I mostly think he has.  So I do something I've never done, bet 1 blind, £2.  Click raise ed to £4 instantly.  I put the chips in my hand and put them in the pot, flipping my card sat the same time and saying "I missed, made trips but I dont think they're good".

He smirks, shows 107o.  Guy on my right says "You did great to get away so cheap", which I have to agree with

Thing is I love it, against a good player I lose alot of money potentially there.
Questions are: 
Do you inflate pot at turn?
You have the 8th likely nuts (10th in reality I think tho).  You may have just got pretty lucky, do you try and extract more at the river despite board being pretty scary?

Comments

• edited May 2011
    The specific reason I ask is its been said lately that I fall in love with my read and am too focused on the psycological aspect of the game, which I think holds truth.

Against other players, I go for a bit of value on the river, beating enough hands to feel its worth it, but shutting down any significant action.  Dont want to be results focussed on it, trying to see if its the issues mentioned above getting in the way of potential value :p
  • edited May 2011
    Firstly, you do fall in love with your read bud, thats a fact.  But you do read well so its not entirely a bad thing.

Secondly I think you have to extract a little.  Betting the £2 is your ego again, just getting tricky for the sake of it.  Against Mark's range there, your killing most of his holdings.

I know that you do fold to a serious bet from him, but you had no real way of knowing he wasnt going to pop you back big after the last time you needled him for the same mistake...

Your read could easily have been way off base.