You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Playing a marginal hand.

edited May 2011 in The Poker Clinic

How bad was this really?

This hand has been bugging me all day at work.

I dont mind seeing a cheap flop with this hand OTB but what comes later makes me question whether there is such a thing as a cheap flop!

However, I cant seem to accept that I did anything horribly wrong.

What do you reckon?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceDadandLadSmall blind £0.02£0.02£3.05cazmartBig blind £0.04£0.06£1.55 Your hole cards85   BoxsterCall £0.04£0.10£2.83bradders11Fold    aRTy4freeCall £0.04£0.14£0.54ZedsDeadBaCall £0.04£0.18£3.01DadandLadCall £0.02£0.20£3.03cazmartCheck    Flop  27A   DadandLadCheck    cazmartBet £0.04£0.24£1.51BoxsterCall £0.04£0.28£2.79aRTy4freeCall £0.04£0.32£0.50ZedsDeadBaRaise £0.40£0.72£2.61DadandLadFold    cazmartCall £0.36£1.08£1.15BoxsterCall £0.36£1.44£2.43aRTy4freeFold    Turn  A   cazmartCheck    BoxsterBet £0.72£2.16£1.71ZedsDeadBaCall £0.72£2.88£1.89cazmartCall £0.72£3.60£0.43River  J   cazmartCheck    BoxsterAll-in £1.71£5.31£0.00ZedsDeadBaCall £1.71£7.02£0.18cazmartAll-in £0.43£7.45£0.00cazmartShow22   BoxsterShowJA   ZedsDeadBaShow85   BoxsterWinFull House, Aces and Jacks£6.89 £6.89

Comments

• edited May 2011
    I'd just flat flop, on turn would get rid

before looking at the opponents hand i had a hunch someone had AJ, dont mind limp pre and check on flop as its multiway i wouldn't be betting as likely 1 of the others has an ace. Should always be weary of your flush if the board pairs but at nl4 i wouldnt worry about that as a general rule im happy to stack of with flush unless strong read at this level.

In summary i dont think anythings terrible here but probably play it different and lose a little less
  • edited May 2011
    your action on the flop is the horrible part, 5 way pot with ace on flop, why did u raise big? you have no hand there, and its not the spot to semi bluff. end result is prob the same tho
  • edited May 2011
    I would fold pre.... its not the fact of placing the 4p to see the flop, its the price you need to pay to see the rest of the streets......as I think your stating in your OP, and the fact you are likely to lose more with this hand than you win over tme

but as played, as YG said. Flat flop, deffo fold turn. To be honest it sounds like they were insulting your play by your OP. I wouldnt take any notice of someone that doesnt raise pre with AJ or either of them if they cant bet a decent amount on the flop with those hands.

They would have deserved to be out drawn had they lost imho.
  • edited May 2011
    fold pre, flat flop esp getting 8/1
  • ybyb
    edited May 2011
    fold pre
    call flop
    fold turn
  • edited May 2011
    If your raising that much on the flop you may as well just put it all in.  Your basically saying I hope someone has an A, also that I hit my flush.  If one of them raises your 40p all in I assume your calling the rest after the disproportiante raise, you are looking for action?  If they all flat and turn bricks you've put the extra in for nothing if one of them elects to make a big bet.  But at that level they arent folding the A.

I dont mind the flat pre, you connect well its all good, you dont connect its a blind gone.  But I think You could have been more cautious post, or conversely alot more agressive, if that was the action you were looking for: A vs flush draw.
  • edited May 2011
    Also you say its bothered you all day at work, I'm a tad obsessive also (big understatement) alot of people have replied fold pre, everyone having their own playboook. 

You think Daniel Negrenue folds pre there?  He'd likely raise TBF, but nothing wrong with experimenting with the suited gapper, small ball strategy bud.  I'd like to think he knows alittle something :)

(Despite being crushed in all HSP seasons...)
  • edited May 2011

Thanks everyone for your replies.

However, AMYBR hit the nail square on the head.

The table was limping more than a Napoleonic Wars re-enactment society. so I knew I could see a cheap flop safe in the knowledge I wasnt getting raised from the blinds.

I was delighted to see the Ace, instantly assuming that there must have been at least one raggy ace out there. 

However there were also more callers than a bingo hall convention playing, so the oversized bet was designed to thin the field right back, whilst giving my flush draw a nice little return should my 2-1 shot hit.

Unfortunately it hit alright, right in the goolies!

The only thing I dont quite understand is why I might have shoved the flop? This would have further reduced the possibility of any action given there was hardly anything in the pot at that stage, no?

Cheers,

Z.
  • edited May 2011
    Yes last bit correct.  But if your willing to call the jam regardless after your 40p raise on flop + feeling that they will not fold the A, You push out all but the A (or possibly better flush draw), but most importantly YOU GIVE YOURSELF EVERY OPPORTUNITY TO WIN.  Big pot with flush, reasonable pot uncontested if folds round.

The impression I got was you werent prepared to fold.  You liked the draw and were happy to go with it, yes?  Take the battle to them, you making it clear your happy to take Ax vs your clubs hoping someone has exactly that, which at those stakes they arent folding for 40p or 2.40.  Dont leave yourself calling their jam, or being pot stuck at the turn. 

I'm not saying I take the same line, but leave them with the decision, rather than giving yourself tricky ones when a brick hits the turn.  Isolate the most likely hand, the A.
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: Playing a marginal hand.:
    Yes last bit correct.  But if your willing to call the jam regardless after your 40p raise on flop + feeling that they will not fold the A, You push out all but the A (or possibly better flush draw), but most importantly YOU GIVE YOURSELF EVERY OPPORTUNITY TO WIN.  Big pot with flush, reasonable pot uncontested if folds round. The impression I got was you werent prepared to fold.  You liked the draw and were happy to go with it, yes?  Take the battle to them.  Dont leave yourself calling their jam, or being pot stuck at the turn.  I'm not saying I take the same line, but leave them with the decision, rather than giving yourself tricky ones when a brick hits the turn.  Isolate the most likely hand, the A.
    Posted by AMYBR
    OK cool.

Thanks very much.

Z.
  • edited May 2011
    Just to add I wouldnt do this at higher stakes.  Your bet size sets the line here, your NOT FOLDING.

Smaller stakes, you are getting called by the A, you have the equity to take it, forget the ducks.
  • edited May 2011
    Dont shove to only get called by better hands, especially if you think As or better fds dont fold. The reason for this should be obvious

You are only a 4/1 shot to hit on turn, you cant assume you wont face action on turn. Flatting flop is much better imo, you are getting direct odds and you hardly ever fold out the A by betting

Amybr, Negreanu is playing high stakes not 4NL, he is usually playing very deep and his hand reading skills are generally very good. I doubt OP can hand read as well as Negreanu and I think Negreanu might adjust his game slightly to play 4NL fish
  • edited May 2011
    Very true. But if he wants to experiment with it, thats his choice.

Again, if you read back you'll see I say I wouldnt take this line, or play this way at levels where you care about the money.

The advice I give is specifically relative to how the OP elected to play the hand.  He clearly wants the action.  It is obvious he is happy to get his money in with the draw, hit or miss - equally obvious that opponent wont fold A.

If he chooses this approach at this level, putting in the big raise on the flop looking for action believing the A will come along, his premium play is the jam.  Gets maximun value if he makes his hand, doesnt leave himself in no mans land on turn/river gives himself 2 ways to win.

Again, I said he could have approached it cautiouslt (flat the flop), but if he chooses to go with the draw then he may as well go for the draw big, generating the small stake big pot on the flop..  Miss, rebuy.
  • edited May 2011
    why do you want to generate a big pot if you are always behind?

if you like gambling as an underdog fine, dont see why op would bother posting here if that was his attitude
  • edited May 2011
    Read the post thoroughly bud.  Key issue, if AJ hand or set of ducks 3bet the flop raise he was getting it in regardless.  He wanted the action, he clearly was happy to inflate the pot on his draw. 

• edited May 2011
    yeah once he raises flop he shouldnt fold. Raising flop is still bad though, if they call with all the likely better hands in their ranges. If he wants action he can gamble anyway he wants, if he wants to play winning poker he shouldnt raise this flop (big or small) imo
  • edited May 2011
    If you read, you'll see that I did advocate the cautious route also.  I stated I personally wouldnt take the line he takes.

But thats not say the uber aggressive route is without merit.  Hes seems happy to gamble there, as he himself confirmed.  So If you are going to gamble there, you may aswell gamble for stacks, rather than leave yourself pot stuck at turn river.  He knows where he is mostly, hence the name of the thread.