You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

AA Line Check

edited May 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Villain hasnt got out of line, flats opens pre a good bit, doesnt seem terrible

Interested in what people think of this line, fwiw I considered folding flop much more than I cosidered raising

Turn I have no idea what 1/3 pot bet means, is it more likely a draw?

journeyboy
Small blind  £0.10 £0.10 £27.10
punxxs_13 Big blind  £0.20 £0.30 £41.68
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • A

grantorino Raise  £0.80 £1.10 £46.47
xxxx Call  £0.80 £1.90 £43.45
trojan57 Fold     
bubbles29 Fold     
journeyboy Fold     
punxxs_13 Fold     
Flop

• Q

grantorino Bet  £1.43 £3.33 £45.04
xxxx Raise  £6.19 £9.52 £37.26
grantorino Call  £4.76 £14.28 £40.28
Turn

grantorino Check     
xxxxBet  £5.60 £19.88 £31.66
grantorino Call  £5.60 £25.48 £34.68
River

• J

grantorino Check     
xxxx Check    

Comments

• edited May 2011
    This deep i'd play it exact same
  • edited May 2011
    I dont think i'd check turn with flush draw out there, villain could easy have AJ suited or AK

river pretty safe was your plan to check / call? busted flush draws etc id prob do small value bet on end £9
  • edited May 2011
    Turn check is standard when I flat flop, no?

Yeah planned to c/c reasonable sized river bet. Not sure theres that many hands I get value from if I bet
  • edited May 2011
    Seen as you're very deep I like the way it's played, big bonus getting the check behind on river. ;)
  • edited May 2011
    did you think about c/r turn when he makes that bet? its just to small if he has you beat
  • edited May 2011
    I think descision really should be made on flop your 3 betting to pot commit or making a bizarre fold on a dry board. The flat makes no sense to me.  If hes made a set are you folding turn?

I know your games solid, but just seems a really bad line with A's HU, your way ahead or very unlucky to be behind.  River goes check check, I assume your calling a bet?  This hand should have been decided on flop IMO.  Going into check call mode is utterly bizarre.  You should be extractimg, not backing off, if it turns out your behind its unavoidable.  Its literally a perfect board to get raised on with A's w/out the A hitting.

If you update the post showing you lost the minimum, opponent holding Q's/3's its utterly immaterial.

He's as easily raising AQ, KQ two spades than a set on the flop.  I do not understand the defensive line. 
  • edited May 2011
    This bugged my obsessive brain, so got up and fired up the laptop again.

I just dont get it, seriously.  You play cash, 6 handed, find A's isolate to one player.  Get a great flop, then shutdown action, adopting a check call strategy because you met resistance on the flop.

Essentially you have the 4th nuts.  If your opponent has set mined are you check folding turn/river? No. 

Why the defensive line??  From his pov he's betting so many hands for value.  You shut down action fearing the worst!  You go brole its very unlucky/cooler, but you have to bet for value here.

You are uber critical of every post I put up at larger stakes than this, yet play this hand this way.  Its bonkers...

Why are you looking to bluffcatch/pot contol/cr.  Just put some money in there.
  • edited May 2011
    Love the line, would have played it the exact same way. I see way too many donks go broke with one pair, and just because it's the "bullets", they're suddenly allowed to go broke with it. Nah, i reckon you played it spot on.

Definitely can't 3bet flop with just one pair no draw,
    Definitely can't then lead the turn as his flop range is kinda polarized with such a huge raise (Sets v FD's) and you betting has no real value. You want FD's to keep barreling, and you don't want to give sets another chance to raise you.
    Definitely can't check-raise turn as some villians may check behind with FD (even though with him jamming pot in your eye on the flop, i think by the turn you should start to feel easier about your hand)
    Definitely can't lead river, same reason as before, way ahead-way behind sitch, so give him the lead.

wp nh, ship the mohnies.
    Cheers,
    Carlos Smitalos
  • edited May 2011
    Both more than 200 bigs deep, I think it's fine. Is an argument to to rr flop but once the decision has been made to flat it is c/c all the way.
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: AA Line Check:
    Turn check is standard when I flat flop, no? Yeah planned to c/c reasonable sized river bet. Not sure theres that many hands I get value from if I bet
    Posted by grantorino
    Sort of but was your plan to check-raise then? then not too bad but as goes check, check on turn surely your missing out value on the river. I think your getting called from someone with a queen on the river too so defo some value out there, I dont mind check/call mode sometimes but looks to me that you have missed value here. Like AMYB says pretty ul if you are beat and you havent really put them to test other then bet out flop and called
  • edited May 2011
    i'd like to add how the villain has played the hand the only hand i think that beats you is QJ which he bets river
  • ybyb
    edited May 2011
    I think c/ring the river would be terrible.

I'd play it the same, nh wp imo.
  • edited May 2011
    i'd like to add how the villain has played the hand the only hand i think that beats you is QJ which he bets river
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    When the villain raises the flop, it gives us a massive headache.....

We have 1 pair out of position 240xbb deep on a wet-ish board facing a big raise......

Remember on the river, we are first to act, we don't know he's going to check behind. I think you're letting his check behind influence your analysis. 

I'm not worried about missing value here, I've got a very marginal hand, I will be happy to see a check behind!!

• edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: AA Line Check : Sort of but was your plan to check-raise then? then not too bad but as goes check, check on turn surely your missing out value on the river. I think your getting called from someone with a queen on the river too so defo some value out there, I dont mind check/call mode sometimes but looks to me that you have missed value here. Like AMYB says pretty ul if you are beat and you havent really put them to test other then bet out flop and called
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    Turn didnt go check, check. I possibly could lead river, and i would if turn checked thru, but I think its very thin and he may bet a busted flush, which i think is a big % of hands I beat
  • edited May 2011
    did you think about c/r turn when he makes that bet? its just to small if he has you beat
    Posted by N1CK
    I think its likely Im ahead after turn bet, but Im not sure he calls a raise with much of range I am ahead of and if he 3bets me it sucks
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: AA Line Check : Turn didnt go check, check. I possibly could lead river, and i would if turn checked thru, but I think its very thin and he may bet a busted flush, which i think is a big % of hands I beat
    Posted by grantorino
    Oh yeah sorry me not reading properly lol, in that case ignore all above played fine imo. obv calling river bet if they bet
  • edited May 2011
    I think descision really should be made on flop your 3 betting to pot commit or making a bizarre fold on a dry board. The flat makes no sense to me.  If hes made a set are you folding turn?
     Possibly on a spade turn, otherwise no. If I was sure he has a set i fold flop, and I dont think folding flop is completely out of the question here
    I know your games solid, but just seems a really bad line with A's HU, your way ahead or very unlucky to be behind.  River goes check check, I assume your calling a bet? Yes
      This hand should have been decided on flop IMO.  Going into check call mode is utterly bizarre.  You should be extractimg, not backing off, if it turns out your behind its unavoidable.  Its literally a perfect board to get raised on with A's w/out the A hitting.
    Really? that depends on his raising range. If I 3bet how many of his wores hands continue this deep? 
    If you update the post showing you lost the minimum, opponent holding Q's/3's its utterly immaterial. He's as easily raising AQ, KQ two spades than a set on the flop.  I do not understand the defensive line.
    Well, he mightnt always raise fds, he prob doesnt raise KQ (I cant see why he would, unless he thinks I spew lots) he wont always raise AQ imo. Obv results dont matter 
    Posted by AMYBR
    Whether i can get it in on flop depends on 2 things:
    1. His flop raising range after flatting my utg open pre 225BB deep
    2. What he does with each part of that range if I 3bet
  • edited May 2011
    Was a bit tilted when I wrote that so sorry if It came across critical.

This pot does boil down to one simple thing for me.  Opponent lets you off very cheaply at turn and river.  You clearly have the best hand  I assume when river goes check check.  Say opponent does make huge value bets on turn river, if you feel you have got lucky and gone behind, your calling one more large bullet at turn, very least.

SO YOU HAVE TO 3BET FLOP, the extra bet there gives you far more information going to the turn then being forced to call two extra streets at half+ pot sized bets.  Plus If you havent gone behind you take back the control in the hand extracting value.

All this talk of seeing people go broke with A's when sat 240BB deep.  Its a 6 max cash game, HU to the flop!  I disagree, Villain has to raise what he may perceive as your standard c-bet Holding QA QK KK, perhaps slightly weaker Q.  He may be inflating pot with spades.  His raise gains him the information that he needs going to the turn, otherwise he is left flatting three streets.

Like I sad if you've got unlucky here, you go broke, reload.  The defensive line with A's @ 6 max on that board is just kind of a waste. 
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: AA Line Check : I think its likely Im ahead after turn bet, but Im not sure he calls a raise with much of range I am ahead of and if he 3bets me it sucks
    Posted by grantorino
    it just looks like a weak continuation of a fd, by calling it just gives him a good price for a bad bet, i dont think your going to get owned here much
  • edited May 2011
    Was a bit tilted when I wrote that so sorry if It came across critical. This pot does boil down to one simple thing for me.  Opponent lets you off very cheaply at turn and river.  You clearly have the best hand  I assume when river goes check check.  Say opponent does make huge value bets on turn river, if you feel you have got lucky and gone behind, your calling one more large bullet at turn, very least. SO YOU HAVE TO 3BET FLOP, the extra bet there gives you far more information going to the turn then being forced to call two extra streets at half+ pot sized bets.  Plus If you havent gone behind you take back the control in the hand extracting value. All this talk of seeing people go broke with A's when sat 240BB deep.  Its a 6 max cash game, HU to the flop!  I disagree, Villain has to raise what he may perceive as your standard c-bet Holding QA QK KK, perhaps slightly weaker Q.  He may be inflating pot with spades.  His raise gains him the information that he needs going to the turn, otherwise he is left flatting three streets. Like I sad if you've got unlucky here, you go broke, reload.  The defensive line with A's @ 6 max on that board is just kind of a waste. 
    Posted by AMYBR
    It does if we raise again........By flatting we keep our range wider therefore giving him less information. All he knows from our flat is that we haven't got total air. We could have flush draws, combo draws, strong top pair, weak top pair, he's still non-the wiser.

If we stack off an go broke on the flop here, I think we'd be kidding ourselves if we attributed it to bad luck.

• edited May 2011
    Was a bit tilted when I wrote that so sorry if It came across critical. This pot does boil down to one simple thing for me.  Opponent lets you off very cheaply at turn and river.  You clearly have the best hand  I assume when river goes check check.  Say opponent does make huge value bets on turn river, if you feel you have got lucky and gone behind, your calling one more large bullet at turn, very least. SO YOU HAVE TO 3BET FLOP, the extra bet there gives you far more information going to the turn then being forced to call two extra streets at half+ pot sized bets.  Plus If you havent gone behind you take back the control in the hand extracting value. All this talk of seeing people go broke with A's when sat 240BB deep.  Its a 6 max cash game, HU to the flop!  I disagree, Villain has to raise what he may perceive as your standard c-bet Holding QA QK KK, perhaps slightly weaker Q.  He may be inflating pot with spades.  His raise gains him the information that he needs going to the turn, otherwise he is left flatting three streets. Like I sad if you've got unlucky here, you go broke, reload.  The defensive line with A's @ 6 max on that board is just kind of a waste. 
    Posted by AMYBR
    LOLZ
  • edited May 2011
    I'm not saying call a 5 bet all in on the flop.  I'm saying you have to find out whats happening in the hand.  I dont mind the flat on the flop If you intend to do something other than enter check call mode on turn/river.

Its just cheaper, if you have gone behind, to put the three bet in on the flop, than call two more streets at halfpot+.  Which frankly your going to be.  Also every street you call, your just getting more pot stuck if you are behind, maybe facing an ugly jam on the river.

If you've decided you need to get away from the hand, you need to decide on the flop.

You say you may fold if spade hits turn?  Why let him see the turn at the price he sets you??
  • edited May 2011
    his small turn bet makes me wantr to c/r but i think calling is fine planning to c/f river to a biiiig bet and when a spade falls down.

getting it in on the flop w/o reads/history of him massively overplaying top pair is pretty spewy this deep.

• edited May 2011
    I'm not saying call a 5 bet all in on the flop.  I'm saying you have to find out whats happening in the hand.  I dont mind the flat on the flop If you intend to do something other than enter check call mode on turn/river . Its just cheaper, if you have gone behind, to put the three bet in on the flop, than call two more streets at halfpot+.  Which frankly your going to be.  Also every street you call, your just getting more pot stuck if you are behind, maybe facing an ugly jam on the river. If you've decided you need to get away from the hand, you need to decide on the flop. You say you may fold if spade hits turn?  Why let him see the turn at the price he sets you??
    Posted by AMYBR

Please explain if I 3bet (a) what you expect him to do (b) what I do if he calls/shoves
  • edited May 2011
    Its not so much about what you expect opponent to do, its what he actually does. 

You say early in this thread that you considored folding the flop when he pushed back, instead you flat, proceeding to the turn, likely paying off two more bets.  Say you do 3 bet cheaply flop, he 4 bet jams, flats or folds.  The 4 bet gives you more info than you had.  It more clearly defines his range.  He flats, a worry also.  This is problematic as value bets on further streets now become larger.  Alternatively he folds.  Your 3 bet signals the strength of your hand, as scary to him as his 4 bet potentially is to you.  So yes, deny value on later streets.  But as it stands, you do not know where you are.

This is not going to be the last bet in the hand.  He now proceeds to pay you off with the worst hand, shuts down, or extracts value from you.  But you have lost the momentum and ability to generate a much larger pot.

How do we lay down K's to A's, Q's to K's?  We garner more information with each bet.  You shut down all action here fearing the set, or that he improves to a flush, but you let him attempt to improve as cheaply as possible here.

I understand the pot control line, or bluff catch line.  But it isnt the route I take.  Thats my honest answer whether you think its right or wrong.  I dont want to be left hoping he builds the pot for me, or being forced to pay off turn and river bets, or being forced to fold if  Ilet the spade fall.
  • edited May 2011
    Played fine imo
  • edited May 2011
    Its not so much about what you expect opponent to do, its what he actually does.  You say early in this thread that you considored folding the flop when he pushed back, instead you flat, proceeding to the turn, likely paying off two more bets.  Say you do 3 bet cheaply flop, he 4 bet jams, flats or folds.  The 4 bet gives you more info than you had.  It more clearly defines his range.  He flats, a worry also.  This is problematic as value bets on further streets now become larger.  Alternatively he folds.  Your 3 bet signals the strength of your hand, as scary to him as his 4 bet potentially is to you.  So yes, deny value on later streets.  But as it stands, you do not know where you are. This is not going to be the last bet in the hand.  He now proceeds to pay you off with the worst hand, shuts down, or extracts value from you.  But you have lost the momentum and ability to generate a much larger pot. How do we lay down K's to A's, Q's to K's?  We garner more information with each bet.  You shut down all action here fearing the set, or that he improves to a flush, but you let him attempt to improve as cheaply as possible here. I understand the pot control line, or bluff catch line.  But it isnt the route I take.  Thats my honest answer whether you think its right or wrong.  I dont want to be left hoping he builds the pot for me, or being forced to pay off turn and river bets, or being forced to fold if  Ilet the spade fall.
    Posted by AMYBR
    lol at the bolded part.

its a bit much you telling me to 3bet then giving me no idea how to proceed if he calls/folds. You say I get more info, which is true to a certain extent, but how do you want me to use that info. Say his flop raising range is the following hands AQ, fds, sets, how do you think these react to a 3bet? ie what actual info does the 3bet give me?

Personally I think if I 3bet it has to be with a view to getting it in, but I doubt that is profitable against his range this deep (I at least understand the reasoning behind that line, and will explain why I doubt its profitable if you like)
  • edited May 2011
    in case anyone is interested villain had 33
  • edited May 2011
    I'd have joyfully took you on a trip to value city, He let you off the hook here :p
  • edited May 2011
    lol, if you were me you 3bet the flop and valuetown yourself.

know what you mean though, his river check is really weird, his small turn bet helped too:)