You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Middle set vs 3/4 Scandanavian, battling for sidepot. Aim to improve or get out of way?

edited May 2011 in The Poker Clinic
I'd check shove, if hes got it meh

Comments

• edited May 2011
    Playing £1/2 cash 5 handed this morning.  I'd bought in for £300, getting stacked early after getting cheeky on the button and flopping the nuts.

So am sat about £700.  Standard of play has been pretty good mostly.  Pretty drunk guys sits down on my left with £50, never seen him before but he's wasted so am liking the prospect.  I raise UTG+1 with 4's to £5, drunk guy calls in the CO LAG calls the button SB blind folds, BB makes it up.

£20 in the pot flop comes out 245r.

Middle set, boards not my favourite.  BB checks.  I bet £12, drunk guy calls LAG makes it an even £50.  I've played this guy alot in the past, he's at least 3/4's Scandanavian.  He loves to bluff.  Happy to fire three barrells constantly.  If you called him down with A high you'd be doing ok.  But I figure he has to know I have something, raising pre, opening flop.  I have to feel like he knows its not a standard c-bet.  I've got a few tells on him.  But I definately got a confidence/I want action vibe off him.  I'm genuinely fearful he has A3 or 5's.  But as he could just as easily be betting the draw or 7's or higher, potentially air I call.  Drunk guy beats me into the pot.  I know hes just flushed £50 to one of us.

£170 in pot going to turn 245   10 I'm still sat with around £650.  Opponent having maybe £250.

I just have to decide to price him in here or find a window.

I'll only put the result up if someone asks.  Without being results orientated, in terms of EV+ what line do you take?  Your OOP with 3rd set.  Guy is a known trickster but I will openly say his level of confidence seemed high. 

I was talking about betting for info yesterday and  I think LOL-raise and grantorino input is right for the vast majority of situations.  This was running through my thoughts at time.  My first impulse was to bet £60 to see if he came back at me.  If he jams on me there in the side pot I'm getting all the info i'll likely need.  But conversly I'm pot stuck.  Live I'm gregghogg esque, fearing the worst probably too frequently.  Another key issue, I'm getting to see his hand either way with main pot.

Fringe issue, flushed too much money Thursday, happy to make it up on that session (bad I know).
  • edited May 2011
    Couple of qs. Are you 350bb deep with lag

What do you mean by lag, from posts about your game lag could=spewbox imo. Is he good or bad?

I'm definitely betting flop bigger, and I'm usually 3betting without a very good reason not to

will post more when you answer qs above 
  • edited May 2011
    No Q's.  Lag, loose aggressive player has 240Bigs left.

His A game is good, his range can be REALLY hard to find, never speaks, but it just depends on the game he's brought to the table.  His range is really wide there mostly.  But the £50 make up auto brings drunk guy in, so he knows his hand has to showdown vs random drunk guy.

"from posts about your game lag could=spewbox imo"  could we lay off the back handed incendary comments please.

I'm curious as to your bet flop bigger comment.  I think the £12 finds their range pretty well, help pot along on its way.  I bet bigger than the 3 bet, if I elect to make it is substantially bigger.  I dont want to push out air or draws, overall am happy to get two calls and play from flop onwards.  Am getting played back at, called down with a pretty huge range.

• edited May 2011
    you say its 1/2 and he has £240 left thats only 120bb???

i think c/jam turn is best way to play it.

you could lead smallish to look weak and rep middleish strength hand that will fold to a raise if u say he is aggro and likes to bluff etc
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: Middle set vs 3/4 Scandanavian, battling for sidepot. Aim to improve or get out of way?:
    No Q's.  Lag, loose aggressive player has 240Bigs left. His A game is good, his range can be REALLY hard to find, never speaks, but it just depends on the game he's brought to the table.  His range is really wide there mostly.  But the £50 make up auto brings drunk guy in, so he knows his hand has to showdown vs random drunk guy. "from posts about your game lag could=spewbox imo"   could we lay off the back handed incendary comments please. I'm curious as to your bet flop bigger comment.  I think the £12 finds their range pretty well, help pot along on its way.  I bet bigger than the 3 bet, if I elect to make it is substantially bigger.  I dont want to push out air or draws, overall am happy to get two calls and play from flop onwards.  Am getting played back at, called down with a pretty huge range.
    Posted by AMYBR
    Ok, I phrased that badly, I meant the players in the games you play not you. I also find people often describe villains as lag who are just loose and bad. No offense was meant.

Im betting flop bigger from value from the tonnes or worse hands out there, I doubt betting a few £ more makes much difference to villains calling or raising range. I would want this guy to raise me more. 

Imo 3bet flop, he may try push you off with pair+draw, 2pair etc this deep. Asplayed I prob c/r turn and get it in
  • edited May 2011
    Just me but I am check/calling turn & river

I am beating so much of his range, he probably got overpair plus might aswel give him the chance to bluff if he does this regular

if he shows me str/ or better set then I sigh and go get myself a drink from the bar

• edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: Middle set vs 3/4 Scandanavian, battling for sidepot. Aim to improve or get out of way?:
    you say its 1/2 and he has £240 left thats only 120bb??? i think c/jam turn is best way to play it. you could lead smallish to look weak and rep middleish strength hand that will fold to a raise if u say he is aggro and likes to bluff etc
    Posted by LOL_RAISE

Yep my bad, mostly still asleep. 

Does his bring up to £50 make you more concerned or less?  It is the exact figure of 3rd player.

Thanks for the mutiple views so far.
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: Middle set vs 3/4 Scandanavian, battling for sidepot. Aim to improve or get out of way? : Ok, I phrased that badly, I meant the players in the games you play not you. I also find people often describe villains as lag who are just loose and bad. No offense was meant. Im betting flop bigger from value from the tonnes or worse hands out there, I doubt betting a few £ more makes much difference to villains calling or raising range. I would want this guy to raise me more.  Imo 3bet flop, he may try push you off with pair+draw, 2pair etc this deep. Asplayed I prob c/r turn and get it in
    Posted by grantorino

This highlighted line did play massively into my thinking.  But I really was in two minds.  If he is weak he knows well enough to fold, plus he's probably folding all the hands I want to keep it.  I think strongly he folds 7's through 10's.  Only thing he really calls me with is the hands I hate or perhaps he 4 bet jams 67, that would potentially be his play.  But I do think he knows what a lead 3bet OOP means from me, he has decent instincts.  But in manys ways your right, he is paying me with sooooooo many hands.

I am having profile issues but did get your PM grantorino and thankyou.  Cant reply just now.
  • edited May 2011
    Shove we have middle set simples :)
  • edited May 2011
    Shove we have middle set simples :)
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN

Well this is another thing.  I've seen many people on this forum state you should always be getting as much across the line with a flopped set, readless and regardless of board.  I've never agreed with this, not to say I believe its wrong (factor in the pot size/implied odds and odds to fillup if he's caught miracle board)  I do think this is where I differ from you online guys. Where your dealing with huge volume and happily grinding out the EV+ spots.

With playing less hands live your dealing with much more hand/player specific information.  Capitalising and safeguarding where neccessary. 

But as always if all the roadsigns point east, its sometimes unwise to go west.
  • edited May 2011

As Julian Thew or someone said on the show before if you dont go broker set vs set then you have played it badly, if your vs flopped straight its ul but you have outs, same if your up against flush although we're obv in worser shape. Basically i'm never folding a set

• edited May 2011
    As Julian Thew or someone said on the show before if you dont go broker set vs set then you have played it badly, if your vs flopped straight its ul but you have outs, same if your up against flush although we're obv in worser shape. Basically i'm never folding a set
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    I agree with this completely on an unco-ordinated board.  Phil Ivey said much the same a couple of years ago, in that over volume its just bad practice.  You cant play scared fearing the overset.

I do think its a little different on a wet board.

• edited May 2011
    since when is 245 10 a wet board? and flop a rainbow how dry do u want it lol
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: Middle set vs 3/4 Scandanavian, battling for sidepot. Aim to improve or get out of way? : I agree with this completely on an unco-ordinated board.  Phil Ivey said much the same a couple of years ago, in that over volume its just bad practice.  You cant play scared fearing the overset. I do think its a little different on a wet board.
    Posted by AMYBR
    you can usually go broke lighter on  a wet board

I cant see why you dont want to get it in v this guy. If you were HU with him its a standard 3beton flop imo, the shortie in the middle complicates things a bit, as he shouldn't really hava a bare draw ever, and same goes for you if you 3bet. I couldnt fold this at any point with out a cast iron read.

Also when you say you are thinking about bet for info on turn if you are considering b/f turn that is an absolutely horrendous line imo
  • edited May 2011
    Any how I'm about to go out for a non poker related evening, Imagine that....

I'll put the result up then hopefully have a few posts to read when getting in.

Villain did have thew bloody A3.  I really had a bad feeling about the hand from the early raise.  I just didnt think there'd be that many hands he'd choose to raise flop with.  Its a good bet.

We can talk about folding sets as DOH says but in reality, not that profitable or even that easy.

I went down the worst route lead, call finally, hoped to see a cheap river filling up.  Thing is math wasnt too far off (ish)

I lead out £85, he jams, i do a little song and dance to try and save face if he flips 5's or A3 (ego, ego, ego).  £505ish in pot £160ish to call, having 7 outs if I am behind 15% ish ftw.  Against a pure rock I MAY talk myself into a fold on flop turn, but not here.  My gut feeling could easily have been wrong.

But happy days, drunk guy reloaded, reloaded, reloaded.. went to bank reloaded endlessly :)  I took my fair share.  But he got really abusive and hostile, received multiple "friendly" warnings (nose to nose) from pretty large gentlemen.  Continued taking the mick, destroyed the game ended up big fight in function room.  Other random guys just stands up and puts him on his ar se full blow.

You guys miss this fun stuff on internet :)
  • edited May 2011
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN

True but you have to look at the action also.  Potentially your only raising two players there slim.  Your either way ahead or way behind, better to decide early.
  • edited May 2011

The line of flat flop raise, lead blank turn doesnt make sense to me

hand is a cooler

• edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: Middle set vs 3/4 Scandanavian, battling for sidepot. Aim to improve or get out of way? : you can usually go broke lighter on  a wet board I cant see why you dont want to get it in v this guy. If you were HU with him its a standard 3beton flop imo, the shortie in the middle complicates things a bit, as he shouldn't really hava a bare draw ever, and same goes for you if you 3bet. I couldnt fold this at any point with out a cast iron read. Also when you say you are thinking about bet for info on turn if you are considering b/f turn that is an absolutely horrendous line imo
    Posted by grantorino
    Agree, which is why i put it out of my mind.  I actually listened to you guys :p  - Well mostly Lol Raise :p  (joke)
  • edited May 2011
    lol what is this.
  • edited May 2011
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    While I agree with you that you meant to go broke with a set as you just ain't folding unless there's an obvious flush on board or simliar.

Given the fact you is not folding then why not just check/call because regardless of what comes if your not folding if he shoves the flop/turn/river. Maybe even check/call turn and shove river.
    Becuase the way i see it nothing will alter the outcome if you shove flop and get called or check/call.
    It's all going to be the same :s
    Do you see my point or am I talking gibberish.
    I suppose you could argue that you want to get it good but if it goes bad then hey same result.

Once you can see he has a hand and is willing to go to war or bluff then all is good with me as i have a set.

• edited May 2011
    No, not jibberish fully agree.

It should have been in on flop.  I had a bad feeling on it and guess I wanted to leave myself a bolthole on later street, which in reality was unlikey to happen.  Or improve to 4's full at turn. 

If I do flat flop it can only be with the intention to bluff catch through later streets, not realistically fold to any card not pairing the board.

• edited May 2011
    no because once you go in check call mode you lose your equity, we want marginal hands and draws to fold. c/c just gives them a cheap way to catch up at least if you shove you get them to make the mistake by getting in bad, other times they will fold and others your be behind but your have outs. rarely are we drawing to the 1 out eg set over set which is just ul
  • edited May 2011
    no because once you go in check call mode you lose your equity, we want marginal hands and draws to fold. c/c just gives them a cheap way to catch up at least if you shove you get them to make the mistake by getting in bad, other times they will fold and others your be behind but your have outs. rarely are we drawing to the 1 out eg set over set which is just ul
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    I agree with the don't let them catch up especially in multi way pots.
    I think either line is ok depending on the action
    There's another thread on here regarding flopping a set where DOh and LOL_RAISE state they would check and let others catch up so they would hang themselfs
    It's an intresting debate.
  • edited May 2011
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    you are forgetting Moobs this is live 245 is a wet board in 1/2 cash live lol everyone plays every hand no matter what it is lol but i'd still go broke in this hand the only way im getting off this hand is if the turn was an A,3 or 6 where i know especially live that im beaten but the turn 10 just means im setting the other guy in and binking a house on the river getting up and rubbing all his money on my t i tties
  • edited May 2011
    Its kind of like I said earlier I think this hand does highlight the difference between online/live cash.

Online I likely put it in on the flop without even thinking too deeply, but this may be part and parcel of my online failings as a rule.

Live I have many more tools at my disposal.  Its not a simple EV+ hand.  I can really take my time, try and get villain to give something away by waiting him out.  EV+ your doing your stack always online, absorbed into larger game.  Live it may take you the rest of the night to regain the loss, even then only if your lucky.

But I agree money was always going in unless I am 100% certain, but against this opponent, never happening.  TBH tricky fold against any opponent, nigh on impossible.  Even with the gut feeling it changes nothing.  Would have been very nice to fill up though.

• edited May 2011
    what is a 3/4 scandanavian?
  • edited May 2011
    Hugely over aggressive, maintains pressure through the streets with questionable holdings.  Prepared to fire 3 bullets without really caring about result.
  • edited May 2011
    lol, was waiting for that q about 3/4 scandi

I cant see how you are ever folding here, so best line depends on how likely he is to keep betting combo draws etc, how likely he is to go nuts on flop with worse hands. My default is 3bet flop and snap a shove
  • edited May 2011
    Iv never heard of it .....i like it tho lol
  • edited May 2011
    It's a toss up between reading a Damon Runyon novel, or reading one of your tales of an east yorkshire gambling den - both very entertaining :-)

My question relates to the 3/4s Scandinavian thing - is this a poker term I am unfamiliar with? Or is it a reference to the fact that your opponent hails from a Nordic ethnic group??

edit - didn't notice there was a page 2 on this thread where the "3/4 Scandinavian" issue is addressed!! :-)