You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

SPT Sat hand. Not sure i played it correctly despite result

edited May 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Ok opinions on this hands.

Background info

The opponent had gave me vast number of difficulties on Sunday, and in fairness id be pwnd. However i felt with posision on the oppoent i could reverse the edge. I hadnt actually got to show down (infairness on Sunday i just had one of those nightmare days where what little you do get is 3rd and 4th pair). I hadn been on this table long. Id pretty pretty tight through out, only big hands i had was flopping TP + NFD v flopped straight and Kings v AT AIP. however that was on a previous table. So this table has very little info.

The hand

I decided to flat pre, simply for this i was 4th or 5th in chips at the time with 5 seats going and the opponent was chip leader. I didnt exactly want a big clash. Also there is two shorter stacks behind which i was also giving the option for them to squeeze, allowing me maybe to take a player out. However when the flop comes 9 high i feel its all or nothing. I know the opponent isnt likley to let go of TP, however i think its unlikley hes hit the board. I also felt the shove was just the right amount to price in a flush draw(hopefully with just one over) which i would happily try to dodge.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
MacMonster Small blind  100.00 100.00 2275.00
Keevil Big blind  200.00 300.00 2500.00
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • J

CARPETMAN Raise  400.00 700.00 10852.50
M4VERICK Fold     
The_Don90 Call  400.00 1100.00 4400.00
MacMonster Fold     
Keevil Fold     
Flop

CARPETMAN Bet  1100.00 2200.00 9752.50
The_Don90 All-in  4400.00 6600.00 0.00
CARPETMAN Call  3300.00 9900.00 6452.50
CARPETMAN Show
  • J

The_Don90 Show
  • J
  • J

Turn

River

• K

The_Don90 Win Pair of Jacks 9900.00  9900.00

opinions on the whole hand please. The flat pre i think was an error looking back.

Comments

• edited May 2011
    In Response to SPT Sat hand. Not sure i played it correctly despite result:listening to a recent interview with a world class tournament player (on Sky I think) who said 'I almost always flat a pre flop raise with pp up to and including JJs'. So, maybe that answers part 1 of the hand.
    You also had position.
    Part 2 :flop looks great for you(especially with your read on villain), he bets and you all in. Standard play I think.
  • edited May 2011
    Your stack being what it is I think you can only jam.  Yep you control pot against potential villain, but you dont protect it vs blinds.

The pro comment regarding flatting J's downwards would be for deeper stack play.

Either way though, nice score :)  You'll likely be flipping vs most of their squeezing hands
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: SPT Sat hand. Not sure i played it correctly despite result:
    Your stack being what it is I think you can only jam.  Yep you control pot against potential villain, but you dont protect it vs blinds. The pro comment regarding flatting J's downwards would be for deeper stack play. Either way though, nice score :)  You'll likely be flipping vs most of their squeezing hands
    Posted by AMYBR
    my whole logic of the flat was based on the stacks of the blinds, 10/11BB each. therefore i dont think either will flat. I certainly know the BB is good enough not to flat at this point, might have been wrong about the SB as i hadnt played him before.

I also think a squeeze could be made alot lighter than AK/AQ/KQ/AA/KK/QQ aswell from the blinds, would like to hear others opinions tho.
  • edited May 2011
    I agree with what you say, but why introduce the needless risk into a straightforward pot pre? Bb's getting what 6/1 when short?  I'm coming in with alot of hands there, maybe even just to stop and go any flop

But then again if you have a pretty good feel for how the tables playing I guess its silly not to use it. 
  • edited May 2011
    I didnt realise that hand u flat pre, well i forgot that

I HATE IT!!!! worked out but dont do it again
  • edited May 2011
    I dont understand why you flat pre then shove that flop