You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The dangers of Micro stakes

edited May 2011 in The Poker Clinic
I'm a general break even player. - I tend to play micro stakes as I just enjoy playing and don't really like the feeling when my Bankroll gets chipped away massively ( playing at higher stakes).

lately I've been getting more & more infuriated with Micreo stakes players, - here is two hands from tonight. In both cases I got knocked out of a DYM!. Can anyone advise if I did anything particularly wrong? or was I just unlucky?

Hand one......

Hand History #372441740 (21:39 16/05/2011)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
PuppetJack Small blind   15.00 15.00 1935.00
russwuss Big blind   30.00 45.00 1940.00
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • J

blondie116 Fold        
marty1 Raise   60.00 105.00 1970.00
ANNMARTY Call   60.00 165.00 1720.00
stakes77 Fold        
PuppetJack Raise   135.00 300.00 1800.00
russwuss Fold        
marty1 Call   90.00 390.00 1880.00
ANNMARTY Call   90.00 480.00 1630.00
Flop

• A

PuppetJack Bet   240.00 720.00 1560.00
marty1 All-in   1880.00 2600.00 0.00
ANNMARTY Fold        
PuppetJack All-in   1560.00 4160.00 0.00
marty1 Unmatched bet   80.00 4080.00 80.00
PuppetJack Show
  • A
  • J

marty1 Show
  • A

Turn

River

marty1 Win Two Pairs, Aces and 7s 4080.00   4160.00
& second hand...

Hand History #372456384 (22:06 16/05/2011)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
koonikki18 Small blind   75.00 75.00 2762.50
PuppetJack Big blind   150.00 225.00 1352.50
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • J

clairamon Fold        
gimpyboy Call   150.00 375.00 1835.00
ktc2 Fold        
koonikki18 Call   75.00 450.00 2687.50
PuppetJack All-in   1352.50 1802.50 0.00
gimpyboy Call   1352.50 3155.00 482.50
koonikki18 Call   1352.50 4507.50 1335.00
Flop

• K

koonikki18 All-in   1335.00 5842.50 0.00
gimpyboy All-in   482.50 6325.00 0.00
koonikki18 Unmatched bet   852.50 5472.50 852.50
koonikki18 Show
  • K

PuppetJack Show
  • J
  • J

gimpyboy Show

Turn

River

• Q

koonikki18 Win Pair of Kings 5472.50   6325.00
Anyway, - onto my final Question. - Do you think I'll fare better if I move up the stakes and just focus on improving my game?

(after these games I played 3x DYM at low stakes & won all three!)

Kind regards,

PuppetJacks.

Comments

• edited May 2011
    I dislike the stack with the AJ. So easily dominated there. Also wouldnt 3-bet pre.

The Jack hand is just unlucky u played it right,

Onto your question. Volume is the key. Something thats taken alot to drum into me. And its only know i realise the importance of it. What i do now, is i keep a little word diary on my computer. A different file for each day (pu8t into a folded with sub folders of months) and i keep progress of what ive played and when and how i did. By doing this you can also figure out what your mind set is.

Another tip ill give. Is record some videos if you like. google Camstudio and talk over your thoughts. i done that, and alot of top quality players where able to help me. I think by seeing how im playing in what disipline for a period of time helps them, rather than just one or two hands.

Hope this helps.

P.S welcome to the forums (seen youve only made a couple of posts)
  • edited May 2011
    Don, - I get your point about the A-J being easily dominated, in that case however he had been raising a lot pre (& on the flop) then slowing down or folding to resistance, so I thought he may well be at it  (which he kinda was, becase his 7 kicker wasn't exactly the mother of all kickers) It's just my luck that the river did me in.

that said, I had an almost identical hand earlier except he actually hada set. - oops.

Lesson learnt I guess.
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: The dangers of Micro stakes:
    Don, - I get your point about the A-J being easily dominated, in that case however he had been raising a lot pre (& on the flop) then slowing down or folding to resistance, so I thought he may well be at it  (which he kinda was, becase his 7 kicker wasn't exactly the mother of all kickers) It's just my luck that the river did me in.  that said, I had an almost identical hand earlier except he actually hada set. - oops.  Lesson learnt I guess.
    Posted by PuppetJack
    sounds like hes doing this with a wide range then from TPBK (top pair bad kicker) but likley looking at a split pot, as any over card to a 7 nulifies his kicker. To a set. So my advice to you is against this guy just wait for a spot. Play top set like you did here and laugh when he snaps all in.
  • edited May 2011
    I like how u played both hands, got in ahead just ul
  • edited May 2011
    I like how u played both hands, got in ahead just ul
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    YG can i ask you why you like the play in the AJ hand?
  • edited May 2011
    At micros top pair good kicker is the nuts in stt or nl4, people with worse pay us of as it happened did just UL

The person would not shove if they had a 6, I think we're beating too many hands to fold unless you have a good read on the opponent
  • edited May 2011

You got it in ahead both hands and got unlucky, so don't worry too much.

The first hand is ok to 3 bet if he is opening for a min raise frequently (say once or twice each orbit). Otherwise a call is fine.

If your going to 3 bet make it bigger..... you made it 150, and your out of position. Almost all of the time you are going to get 2 callers.
    Make it around 220.... you will then probably get folds often enough to make it a profitable play preflop, and when you get called, it will more llikely be 1 player instead of two.

• edited May 2011
    hey there, i play alot of small dyms and personally i wouldnt of shoved with the jacks, the blinds are still quite small, plus not near the bubble, players will be willing to risk more as they would still have time to recupperate there chips back, therefore i would of raised 3x bb, then see a flop, ppl will generally call anything at these stakes with a ace or king in there hand hoping to hit flop(even ragged aces). i would of seen the flop, if a overcard hits c~bet to try and find where you are, chances are the player with 9s would of folded as kings are scare card, if the other with kings calls then be suspicious that he has the king. unfortunately you would of lost some chips(but not all) and then look for a better shoving spot. just be wary that at micro stakes ppl will risk alot more in early stages as losing 1.15 or less of your bankroll isnt going to hurt as much as. this is how i would of played the jacks in this situation, hope this helps and good luck.
  • edited May 2011
    Hand 1 i wouldn't personally 3b the AJ. but once u do u obv av2 get it in.

Hand 2 the shove with jacks is 100% standard, ul
  • edited May 2011
    hey there, i play alot of small dyms and personally i wouldnt of shoved with the jacks, the blinds are still quite small, plus not near the bubble, players will be willing to risk more as they would still have time to recupperate there chips back, therefore i would of raised 3x bb, then see a flop, ppl will generally call anything at these stakes with a ace or king in there hand hoping to hit flop(even ragged aces). i would of seen the flop, if a overcard hits c~bet to try and find where you are, chances are the player with 9s would of folded as kings are scare card, if the other with kings calls then be suspicious that he has the king. unfortunately you would of lost some chips(but not all) and then look for a better shoving spot. just be wary that at micro stakes ppl will risk alot more in early stages as losing 1.15 or less of your bankroll isnt going to hurt as much as. this is how i would of played the jacks in this situation, hope this helps and good luck.
    Posted by Crunchybob
    u do realise that this hand is at 75/150 and he starts the hand with ~1.5k. making what you advise impossible?
  • edited May 2011
    apologies, i didnt see the stacksizes earlier just the blinds and how many people were still left in. i still wouldnt of jammed, jacks are dangerous to play at low stakes, as u can clearly see people will called with ace high, king high, without a care in the world as losing a small amount of money(buyin for dym) £1.15 or less is a risk they're willing to take to put themselves in a good position. had it been the late stage of dym or higher stakes do you really think someone would call with k 2? i prefer to see a flop and find out where i am.
  • edited May 2011
    1. I dont see much reason to 3bet pre if your only read is he opens lots,bets flop and slows down. Once you do you are always stacking on this board, whether shoving or flatting and letting him keep firing is better is villain dependent

2 nh

Crunchybob, shoving JJ is good when they call with K2
  • edited May 2011
    apologies, i didnt see the stacksizes earlier just the blinds and how many people were still left in. i still wouldnt of jammed, jacks are dangerous to play at low stakes, as u can clearly see people will called with ace high, king high, without a care in the world as losing a small amount of money(buyin for dym) £1.15 or less is a risk they're willing to take to put themselves in a good position. had it been the late stage of dym or higher stakes do you really think someone would call with k 2? i prefer to see a flop and find out where i am.
    Posted by Crunchybob
    lol there are some that will!!

but at d end of the day if u get called by ace rag etc, gettin it in as ~70% fav will leave u as a winner long term, plus u will get folds some of the time too.

shipping it with jacks there is 100% the right move imo

• edited May 2011
    each for their own, but personally i wouldnt shove jacks in this position, especially at micro stakes, imagine your not all in grantorino, then see that flop, would you then insta jam or would you c bet or check to see where you are? im not saying shoving jacks is wrong and had the blind been larger and nearer the bubble ofc i would shove.