You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What does this mean?

edited May 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Been playing a little while now and always have the SkyPoker "Recommended hand requirements based on position" handy for when I start playing badly (a lot of the time!).

One phrase has always puzzled me. It lists:
additional hands that may be playable from the
 blinds if the pot size grows accordingly
 What does ...if the pot size grows accordingly..... mean in this context?

Comments

• edited May 2011
    i imagine it means if there is a raise and multiple callers thus giving you very favourable pot odds with marginal hands like small suited aces or suitec connectors
  • edited May 2011
    Im not familar with skys recommended requirments based on position you mention but its probably talking about your pre flop pot odds/implied odds with the more speculative hands.
  • edited May 2011
    are the recommended hands as useful as the hot-o-meter?
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: What does this mean?:
    are the recommended hands as useful as the hot-o-meter?
    Posted by grantorino
    I don't think the hot-o-meter takes position into account.
  • edited May 2011
    i imagine it means if there is a raise and multiple callers thus giving you very favourable pot odds with marginal hands like small suited aces or suitec connectors
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    The implication being that, if the pot doesn't grow "accordingly",  you just call?
  • edited May 2011
    I dont think the hot-o-meter takes into account that the game we are playing is poker
  • edited May 2011
    I dont think the hot-o-meter takes into account that the game we are playing is poker
    Posted by grantorino
    Lol. I thought I sensed your tongue firmly in your cheek!
  • edited May 2011
    Im not familar with skys recommended requirments based on position you mention but its probably talking about your pre flop pot odds/implied odds with the more speculative hands.
    Posted by TWRAMYEP
    It's part of the Poker Tips section of the Sky Poker School. I'd be interested in a seasoned player's opinion of the advice given there, bearing in mind it's aimed at new players.
  • edited May 2011
    Say you are playing 5p/10p, 8 handed in the big blind with Js9s. Consider the following examples:

a) Everyone folds except one player in late possition who raises to 5x the big blind (50p) and is called by the button.

b) A player in early possition makes a raise of 4x the big blind (raise to 40p ) and three other players flat call.

In the first example it is wise to fold. The pot is £1.15 with only two players in and you must pay an additional 40p to see a flop. And judging by the early action both players will most likely have over cards or even have you dominated with AJ or JJ.

In the second example the pot is now £1.75 with four players in and you must pay another 40p to see a flop. In this spot you might consider a call with the idea that you could hit the flop hard and make a huge pot. Say the flop comes KsQsTd..... you have flopped a straight with a re-draw to the second nut flush and a straight flush. But with all that paint on the board there is also a good chance that one of the four players has hit a pair, two pair or even maybe a set. You will get paid off so big if this unlikely flop occures that it's worth making the call for 40p.

The important thing to remember is that if you miss here you have to fold the flop. Don't chase a flush or a straight and don't think that a pair or jacks or nines will be good enough.

Check out this article by Victoria Coren for some interesting thoughts about these sorts of hands: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/may/11/poker-victoria-coren?INTCMP=SRCH
  • edited May 2011
    hot-o-meter is the best thing ever btw
  • edited May 2011
    hot-o-meter is the best thing ever btw
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    I'd never played poker of any sort until December last year when i sort of stumbled across from skybet. I had to keep the hot-o-meter on just so i knew which hand beat which hand lol. It kept telling me i was on fire! I could'nt understand why i kept going skint! Its firmly switched off now. Good for double checking the % tho'!