You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

MTT'S - Take a coin flip early v chip leader - yes/no - discuss

edited May 2011 in The Poker Clinic

Early MTT Level 2 - your 4th in stacks you clash with chip leader.

Do you take this coin flip or not

Do you happily take this flip to put you as big stack or not

If not why not, sooner or later you are going to have to flip for your tournament why not just flip it now

Discuss

:)

Comments

• edited May 2011
    In Response to MTT'S - Take a coin flip early v chip leader - yes/no - discuss:
    Early MTT Level 2 - your 4th in stacks you clash with chip leader. Do you take this coin flip or not Do you happily take this flip to put you as big stack or not If not why not, sooner or later you are going to have to flip for your tournament why not just flip it now Discuss :)
    Posted by rancid

For me it would depend on how much I spent on the tourney, how many people are in it, how far the cash prizes go down.  How well you know CL is also a factor.

With having a small BR I like to play the max hands for my money! 

I personally wouldn't but I'm 10 on the TK nit scale!
  • edited May 2011

The big stack always wins, they make it that way so that I will bust and enter another tourny, hence paying more rake - so no! ;)
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: MTT'S - Take a coin flip early v chip leader - yes/no - discuss:
    The big stack always wins, they make it that way so that I will bust and enter another tourny, hence paying more rake - so no! ;)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I was very close to hitting the ignore button :)
  • edited May 2011
    If you have an edge over field fold

If field has an edge over you call

This is assuming its exactly a 0EV spot. I just do whatever I do in a cash game this early, so if theres money already in pot I take the flip
  • edited May 2011
    I'd like to see an example but I'm assuming were taking a decent PP against two overs, being on either side of the flip?  Or 12 clean outs Vs TPGK on flop?

Pre flop, I likely fold.  Am not a huge fan of allins early as a rule, especially if I think the field is generally weak.

Post flop with money invested I'm more likely to take the shot, based on odds/price.

But I do have a tendancy to race badly.  Much happier to jam knowing I'm racing (understanding I'm being called), than call racing.
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: MTT'S - Take a coin flip early v chip leader - yes/no - discuss:
    I'd like to see an example but I'm assuming were taking a decent PP against two overs, being on either side of the flip?  Or 12 clean outs Vs TPGK on flop? Pre flop, I likely fold.  Am not a huge fan of allins early as a rule, especially if I think the field is generally weak. Post flop with money invested I'm more likely to take the shot, based on odds/price. But I do have a tendancy to race badly.  Much happier to jam knowing I'm racing (understanding I'm being called), than call racing.
    Posted by AMYBR
    Essentailly 48%-52% -
    AK-QQ etc...

Do players feel comfortable taking these flips early doors
    Forget example hands just basic theory/strat/approach to the game

example i have ak you have qq- lets flip for MTT chip lead early doors

yes or no
  • edited May 2011
    According to little miss Vicky Coren your flipping 60/40 with the AK/QQ spot :P

10J suited being the only clean 50/50 flip to the under pair.

In terms of your above question, the only answer I can give is your only folding the Q's to layered bets believing your beat by K's A's.  J's being very different as your flipping far worse vs a 3/4 bet jam range.

But If i Have Q's and I know KNOW my opponent holds AK, I 'm not always happy to race it off, Just as I wouldnt J's vs any AK/Q KQ combo