You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

30nl. Shove, or value bet?

edited May 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Very first hand at the table.

Villain is a low stakes HU cash player, and does very well at the lower levels.

First time I've really seen him at 6max cash, so no reads, but I imagine coming from a HU background he's fairly aggressive and competent in bvb situations.

Pretty sure he's taking a shot here, or is only recently rolled for the level, as I haven't played him before, I'm not sure how this will effect his game and didn't want to make any assumptions without watching a few orbits first.

The hand has played out pretty standard so far, I've sized the bets to leave a pot sized bet behind to give me the option of shoving the river......

But is this neccesserily the best option given the limited information I've got?

Would you shove, or value bet? And what size?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
shaun09 Small blind  £0.15 £0.15 £31.79
DOHHHHHHH Big blind  £0.30 £0.45 £29.70
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • Q

kingadg26 Fold     
RyanRio115 Fold     
shaun09 Raise  £0.75 £1.20 £31.04
DOHHHHHHH Call  £0.60 £1.80 £29.10
Flop

• A
  • Q

shaun09 Bet  £1.20 £3.00 £29.84
DOHHHHHHH Raise  £3.90 £6.90 £25.20
shaun09 Call  £2.70 £9.60 £27.14
Turn

shaun09 Check     
DOHHHHHHH Bet  £6.30 £15.90 £18.90
shaun09 Call  £6.30 £22.20 £20.84
River

shaun09 Check     
DOHHHHHHH

Comments

• edited May 2011
    I check behind im a wuss and think he's got a flush and i have played him before but ages ago so half readless half knowing he's pretty solid

KJ spades? him, i would probably re-raise pre although we're out of positon i think he could be raising pretty wide here
  • edited May 2011

You wouldn't even bet????
  • edited May 2011

Got to agree with YG here, cant see many hands you beat that Shaun calls with here.
  • edited May 2011
    no i told you im a wuss/nit lol i just have a horrible feeling after calling the flop and turn he has the nuts but knows your aggro and you have a hand so checks
  • edited May 2011
    I'd 3bet pre, as played shove, if you bet £10 then he shoves he prolly does have the flush but you'll feel horrid making the call for the extra £8
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: 30nl. Shove, or value bet?:
    no i told you im a wuss/nit lol i just have a horrible feeling after calling the flop and turn he has the nuts but knows your aggro and you have a hand so checks
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    Can I turn it into a bluff then and represent the nut flush, thus encouraging him to fold a weaker flush such as 89 of spades?
  • edited May 2011
    i would probably re-raise pre although we're out of positon
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    lmao, reminds me of doh slating you in another topic for not reading the hand properly :p
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: 30nl. Shove, or value bet? : Can I turn it into a bluff then and represent the nut flush, thus encouraging him to fold a weaker flush such as 89 of spades?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    No hes not folding a weaker flush
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: 30nl. Shove, or value bet? : No hes not folding a weaker flush
    Posted by CrazyBen23
    haha yeh, was just patronising young gun again for being such a nit.

Surely we have to bet the river, it's just a matter of how much!

Checking behind in these situations, as young gun suggested, would mean we miss out on so much value!

Nothing tilts me more than Gary Nevilles face, Phillip Schofields voice, and people continually not reading hand histories properly before replying. 

1/2 times it's excusable but ffs Young gun it's every single time almost. 
  • edited May 2011
    lol tilt a dohhh love it :P

well i dont think any value bet on the river we are getting called by worse, what hands do you think we beat which he shows up with here? He defo doesnt fold any flushes whether its low or not, by shoving i think your only getting hands that you crush fold anyway. Me a nit from you lol thank you
  • edited May 2011
    Yeah I check back also.  Pots big enough not to really need to jump in with both feet.  He's jamming on you with the spades, folding missed hands + weaker A.

• edited May 2011
    AK, AJ, AT, A9, A8, A7, A6, A5, A4, A3, A2, KQ, QJ, QT, Q9, KK

I think he has Ace x alot here.

I honestly thought this was a super standard spot to value bet, I was just unsure about how much........

So I'm pretty surprised to get so many cautious replies.
  • edited May 2011
    I bet. I don't think he has a flush here, you're pretty ul if he does, and it's a very good check on the river (or he just has a weak flush).

I think I make a weakish value bet to £8 or so, I reckon he has AK/AJ, may pay you off with AK, not with AJ. Could have A5s, perhaps- he's unlikely to just flat your reraise with A7 on that board.

I think £8 has a chance of being paid off by worse, betting more is pretty much getting called by a flush and nothing else. He looks like he's trying to get to showdown as cheaply as possible to me, rather than trapping- so don't let him. Be ruthless. £8-10 is a nice price to charge him to see your cards.
  • edited May 2011
    Only issue is if you bet £8 and opponent jams on you, you cant fold.  Pot would at £48, £10 to call.
  • edited May 2011
    Yeah a value bet maybe he got AK, the K being a spade.
    He don't like the turn card much so he scared of a flush me thinks.

£12,25 seems apt, but your not folding to a shove if you bet less he may move on you and jam with this he knows you ain't folding so he can't bluff you. If he shows you the flush then just kick something and call yourself a donk :D

I know nothing about the player but hey he might have the flush but I just can't see why he would play it that way. You raised his flop bet and then he checks the turn when the spade comes :s Seriously you have shown him so much action why is he not going for value.

What happened ?
  • edited May 2011
    All true.  But look at the action on the flop.  That would scare me most of all, he lead calls, much more likely to be a draw than a naked A.

Easily make his hand on turn, elects to check as knows Opponent has at least top pair.  Gets what he wants smooth calls turn.

River checks again.  He either has an A10/9 hand or is playing a flush deceptively against a very transparent Apic hand.  So when it comes down to weighing up the value bet against perceived value, its pretty marginal IMO, I'm happy to check it back.
  • edited May 2011
    All true.  But look at the action on the flop.  That would scare me most of all, he lead calls, much more likely to be a draw than a naked A. Easily make his hand on turn, elects to check as knows Opponent has at least top pair.  Gets what he wants smooth calls turn. River checks again.  He either has an A10/9 hand or is playing a flush deceptively against a very transparent Apic hand.  So when it comes down to weighing up the value bet against perceived value, its pretty marginal IMO, I'm happy to check it back.
    Posted by AMYBR
    Yeah most of the time in this spot everyone and his dog checks back.

Look at it this way if you have the flush would you check the river.
    Why would you when your loosing so much value by not betting the river.
    You know the guy will 9/10 check back on that board so you have to bet your flush on the river.
    So hence why he may not have the flush :s
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: 30nl. Shove, or value bet? : Yeah most of the time in this spot everyone and his dog checks back. Look at it this way if you have the flush would you check the river. Why would you when your loosing so much value by not betting the river. So hence why he may not have the flush :s
    Posted by rancid

Yep fully agree :)

But take the thinking and approach up a level.  Doh's range here is pretty well defined here after re raising flop.  You can then play your made flush in two ways against a transparent hand.  Your are potentially missing value on the river, but many would gamble the option to check raise the pot committed player.

But as its first orbit at table, why stick both feet across the line without a feel for opponents tendancies?
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: 30nl. Shove, or value bet? : Yep fully agree :) But take the thinking and approach up a level.  Doh's range here is pretty well defined here after re raising flop.  You can then play your made flush in two ways against a transparent hand.  Your are potentially missing value on the river, but many would gamble the option to check raise the pot committed player. But as its first orbit at table, why stick both feet across the line without a feel for opponents tendancies?
    Posted by AMYBR
    This guy is taking a gamble by checking the turn and not betting for value.
    I think unless you hand is well disguised you can not check the turn praying this guy is going to bet and you check/shove on him. If he had a hidden straight or something yeah why not check as the other guy is going to bet for value on the river. With the board showing a flush to anyone 9/10 players will check/back given the oppurtunity. Basically it just makes no sense to check the river in this spot with the board as it is unless he is holding such a weak flush. If Doh is thinking he may be holding a weak flush then hey ho what you going to do just shove it up him ? Will he fold his weak flush, because he looks like he gone into check/call mode.

i LOVE THIS GAME
  • edited May 2011

I agree there are some flushes in his range, but it's blind v blind against an experienced heads up player, albeit at lower levels....

He knows full well that raising from the small blind in a heads up situation with a wide range is the way forward, and that making a pair is a strong hand heads up!!

He also knows I'm aggressive/spewy, whatever u wanna call it......

.........and I can bluff multiple streets

It sucks really bad if I v bet and get raised....but that's a different debate, we have to play this spot optimally first, before we get to that point......
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: 30nl. Shove, or value bet? : This guy is taking a gamble by checking the turn and not betting for value. I think unless you hand is well disguised you can not check the turn praying this guy is going to bet and you check/shove on him. If he had a hidden straight or something yeah why not check as the other guy is going to bet for value on the river. With the board showing a flush to anyone 9/10 players will check/back given the oppurtunity. Basically it just makes no sense to check the river in this spot with the board as it is unless he is holding such a weak flush. If Doh is thinking he may be holding a weak flush then hey ho what you going to do just shove it up him ? Will he fold his weak flush, because he looks like he gone into check/call mode. i LOVE THIS GAME
    Posted by rancid
    Lol share the sentiment at end there :).  Your right, I did say it would be a gamble to check hoping opponent builds pot for you.

Thing is we know you have to bet your hands for value.   But there are many other players who would be happy to slow play their made flush here.  Over sample size betting your hand for value is the best line to take.  Many people dont think along these lines, or approach the game in such a broad way.  He does risk missing out on huge value holding the flush, but he easily still could gamble this line, more so at turn than river though.

Just in this instance, with not feeling the flow of the game yet or opponents tendancies (being the first hand) I'm happy to check.  Dont need to felt him this quickly :)
  • edited May 2011
    My read would be that he was dissapointed that the turn wasn't a spade and is looking a free card?  If, as you say, you were prepared to shove river, I'd say do it now!
  • edited May 2011
    I would value bet about £12 and call shove, surely we are ahead more times than not and plus I think we get a call off a lot of Ax hands we beat.  What flushes are we losing to that raise BB, say 89s and KJs.  The fact he is heads up player and knows your spewy(you words not mine) makes either move ok but think shoving may fold a few more Ax hands.  
  • edited May 2011
    Show us that you bet and he had a flush then doh lol :)
  • edited May 2011

Betting seems pretty thin, on the other hand I expect him to have AK lots. If hes good he's not leading river with a flush, he either c/r turn or calls and checks river to you.

Fcuk it, readless with top 2 bvb I stick it in, hope to get called by AK maybe a heroic AJ. I think this is pretty close though. I dont see any point in betting small, hes either herocalling with a bluffcather or folding

• edited May 2011
    do a jam if you think his image of you is bluffy/spewy.
  • edited May 2011

Just to wrap this up, I bet 7.50 on the end, got a call and won the hand.

I thought I'd probably missed out on some value, so to see people saying they would have checked behind really surprised me.

Thanx for all replies, abit of an eye opener.
  • edited May 2011
    I check behind im a wuss and think he's got a flush and i have played him before but ages ago so half readless half knowing he's pretty solid KJ spades? him, i would probably re-raise pre although we're out of positon i think he could be raising pretty wide here
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    He's in position and should be 3betting. Make it enough thats if he calls He would be as well as being all in i suggest 12 bucks here. Both Value and inducing a stupid bluff.
  • edited May 2011
    Sorry only read the first page but there you go.
  • edited May 2011
    i would probably bet £11 or something and expect him to have Ax