You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Player notes

edited May 2011 in The Poker Clinic

Ive never really put notes on players before, maybe calling station or very loose, but ive always mainly just left it to see how the player is playing at that time.

Now i want to take it a bit more serious and put proper notes, so i can have additonal info to help on decisions but im unsure what to put.

What do you guys normally put as notes on players?

Should i include specific big hands or just there general play?

Comments

• edited May 2011
    One of the most successful online players of all time openly states he makes no player notes, or considors table selection. (Patrick Antonius)

He says he does exactly what you say, feels the action as it is at table.

Myself, I only keep notes of very significant motions using a clear abbreviation code.  How a player will tend to bet pre, through streets, draws, hand selection from position and 3/4 bet range.

But in truth time is so short on here it becomes very difficult to use the knowledge you've saved IMO.

They really need to bring in TB
  • edited May 2011
    Keeping notes on total idiots is prob the most important thing for note taking
  • edited May 2011

I write players actions at all stages.  There was a good thread about this before where some players showed the the things they would write and shorthand they used so try searching for that. 

Example would be say limp called 3x raise pre flop with AA, shoved on double suited flop unimproved.

You dont have much room on sky but could shorten to say - l/c 3x pfr AA, AI on DS f UI.

Open up one table and make sure you write at least one note on every player.  If you do this you soon notice players who check all streets with the nuts and some that bluff the river with a massive overbet. 

• edited May 2011
    do what I do and have a load of swear words.
  • edited May 2011
    You gotta work out your own short hand, so u can instantly recognise what a note means.

I'll open a table n copy a few a couple of note boxes, prob better than giving advice....

-------------------

20nl played him HU on 6 max table.
    5x utg w/AK, didnt fire any c bets on Q high board.

-------------------

50nl, limp utg.x2
    20nl small 3bet AK barrelled weak x3 when missed

------------------

30nl called utg open w/78s
    played AA weird didnt 3b from bb then c/c 2 streets

-----------------

Bought in £12 @ 30nl.
    big flop raise multi way w/ J high flush draw
    Wow - watching, cbet flopped fh, c/c turn, c/min r river

---------------

ded money donk - l/c pre w/K5s, gave 2 streets bottom
    pair, turned into bluff otr - limping alot - LOLLLLL

--------------

Those are just some notes off 1 nl30 table thats running atm......

Theyre not v detailed, but they include things that will jog my memory and remind me of how they play.

The guy I played HU must be bad or I wouldn't have played him.

Buying in short - he's always gonna be bad.

"LOLLLL" means he's done something stupid, bad enought to make me smile, or say "wow"

limp utg = bad

open limp the button = bad 

etc etc.

• edited May 2011
    Here is an example I have taking from a certain player that has found their way into my notes. 

L/Pa UTG- QJo+, 44+ A8s+...MP- A8o+, 22+, 65s+
    Limps all 2 suited cards and weak A's
    Never limps folds, Never folds to 3bets
    Ch/Clls btm pair 

Basically, Determine whether thay are Tags, Lags, Passive etc and I always put this at the very top. Then try squeeze in some Opening ranges From certain positions, this will hand you with hand combo's. Note some Limping cards. Whether they fold to 3bets or not. Then throw in a few swear words, or DONK, FISH, EASY MONEY. Haha, hope ehis helps.
  • edited May 2011

Thanks for advice all, ill start putting this to some use.