You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Was I too agressive/impatient?

edited May 2011 in The Poker Clinic

Getting short and thought "Ach just shove"

Also, I shoved a sI didn't want 2 people coming along. Was I right?
Was there tells?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
ste1722 Small blind  15.00 15.00 1517.50
STOCKY8A1 Big blind  30.00 45.00 4150.00
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • K

Glenelg Raise  60.00 105.00 1530.00
BRNolan Fold     
butt55y Fold     
g-master Fold     
ste1722 Raise  165.00 270.00 1352.50
STOCKY8A1 Call  150.00 420.00 4000.00
Glenelg All-in  1530.00 1950.00 0.00
ste1722 All-in  1352.50 3302.50 0.00
STOCKY8A1 Fold     
Glenelg Unmatched bet  57.50 3245.00 57.50
ste1722 Show
  • A
  • J

Glenelg Show
  • K
  • K

Flop

• J

Turn

• A

River

• J

ste1722 Win Full House, Jacks and Aces 3245.00  3245.00

Comments

• edited May 2011
    all in is fine

Just a loose call with AJ tbh
  • edited May 2011
    You go for maximum value and his call is just terrible.  You go to the flop 70/30 ish getting unlucky.  You should be happy you generated the awful call.  Result shouldnt matter too much.  You played well, he played awful, it just didnt end well.

If I have K's and think I can generate a call by AJ, I'd take it EVERY SINGLE TIME.  UL
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: Was I too agressive/impatient?:
    You go for maximum value and his call is just terrible.  You go to the flop 70/30 ish getting unlucky.  You should be happy you generated the awful call.  Result shouldnt matter too much.  You played well, he played awful, it just didnt end well. If I have K's and think I can generate a call by AJ, I'd take it EVERY SINGLE TIME.  UL
    Posted by AMYBR
    Thanks guys. I thought that.
    THen good news/bad news....I doubled 57.50 up to circa 400 and then got busted!  Was more impressed by doubling up TBH. lol

Pad
  • edited May 2011
    Bad beat yaaaawwn.
  • edited May 2011
    Bad beat yaaaawwn.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Sorry to bore you dude. 
    Just trying to see if I could learn from hand or have done something different?

• edited May 2011
    You got it in as a 70/30 fave, what more can you do ?
  • edited May 2011
    dude, the guy has only been playing 2/3 mnths, he might not of known he was 70/30 fav. give him a break. kind regards phil
  • edited May 2011
    Big fat +1, was about to say the same.  Good for you Pod.

Seems like it takes less time to say nothing than be that way.  Guy was genuinely asking
  • edited May 2011
    had it been me putting the hand up fair enough, but like you say he was asking a geniune question
  • edited May 2011
    You've under-represented your hand to this opponent by over-betting your hand and got a loose call (he probably has you on sevens or around there TBH).  Well played.

It'll be interesting to discuss if people think this is a long term better strategy than betting smaller.  But in this instance it worked out perfectly.
  • edited May 2011
    Funnily I was going to say that if I'm sat with Apic I'd likely perceive the bet as protecting exactly the range you mention Tommy.  Just then becomes flip or no flip.

The very fact that our perception is the same kind od shows that we automatically perceive the small 3 bet as a sign of strength, whereas the jam is likely introducing an element of weakness. 

Had a friend who decided to open jam super strong and he told me he couldnt believe how often he got paid.  So there is logc to it.  Takes stones to potentially scare off all that value though :)
  • edited May 2011
    Jamming definitely shows more weakness than strength. The amount of time you see a re raise to 400 or 500 here with the kings is high. Gives away the strength hand, jamming puts you on a broader range :)

p.s. easy dudeskin, the guys trying to learn!
  • edited May 2011
    youve got 50big blinds your not getting short this is deep stacked for a tournament!!!!

i think on a whole 3betting smaller is probably better but in specific situations i do like jamming
  • edited May 2011
    Question:  Big MTTs aside where you rarely see people enough for solid reads, would you need to balance your over betting range for it to continue to work long term?
  • edited May 2011
    tommy, if i understood your question i would love to answer it
  • edited May 2011
    I play in alot of 50/1 1/2 cash games where I hugely overbet as standard due to the dynamic at the table being so loose.  I only limp 3 bet jam 3bet jam, 4 bet jam.  Perhaps flatting drawy hands last to act.

But I'm only really looking to to play hands where I'm happy to get my stack in pre, as otherwise even at 10 -25 BB pre, your still getting 4 way action.  Its the only way to isolate.  Through many of my threads you'll see that I have said this is my approach in these particular games.

It is very profitable.  Because may people have more money than sense.  You get many rec players even at those reasonable levels, who are happy to ship it with 10 7 o because once upon a time they flopped a straight with it.

There have been many many nights where I just 3/4 bet jam, limp jam and get action all night long, I have truly said this in many many posts.  Many, Many players are just careless enough to pkay big allin pots with the cards in the air, despite the fact their opponent has a VPIP of maybe 8%
  • edited May 2011
    Question:  Big MTTs aside where you rarely see people enough for solid reads, would you need to balance your over betting range for it to continue to work long term?
    Posted by TommyD
    Your only over betting with a bluff or the nutz arn't you.
    Not going to be many occasions where you can overbet anything else and it actually goes to showdown ?
    I suppose the best time to overbet with the nutz is when you know the oP ego can not take the thought of being bluffed and they are holding a biggish hand
  • edited May 2011

youve got 50big blinds your not getting short this is deep stacked for a tournament!!!! i think on a whole 3betting smaller is probably better but in specific situations i do like jamming
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    You are of course right Lol.  I think I was being impatient.

Wacko90 - taken on board!

Dudeskin - Thanks for reply.  How do I know if i've got KK that I'm going in 70/30?  (Is it because we now know the other hand was AJ??)

Pad