You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is this a common reaction on reaching the money?

edited May 2011 in The Poker Clinic

Having now studied the stats/% on this hand I now realise this was a STUPID shove!   Against pairs, 6's and above and i'm stuffed??  Think I was sucked in by the same suits!

Comments

• edited May 2011
    Entered a deepstack tourney tonight.  (I blame Acidman/Amybr btw!)

98 runners and top 10 cash.  Played really well for a couple of hours, and then when I knew I was in the money I seemed to, I don't know, relax? 
    Anyways, here is my first hand after knowing I was in the money.....(it was a VERY aggressive table)
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    Glenelg Small blind  1000.00 1000.00 28605.00
    BLOCKBUSTE Big blind  2000.00 3000.00 17150.00
      Your hole cards
    • J
    • Q

butt55y Raise  4000.00 7000.00 98512.50
    bigbow1507 Call  4000.00 11000.00 7740.00
    brunoboy51 Fold     
    Glenelg All-in  28605.00 39605.00 0.00
    BLOCKBUSTE Fold     
    butt55y Call  25605.00 65210.00 72907.50
    bigbow1507 Fold     
    Glenelg Show
    • J
    • Q

butt55y Show

Flop

• K

Turn

River

• Q

butt55y Win Full House, 10s and 7s 65210.00  138117.50

GUTTED at not making final table!!!!

Flame away!!

Pad
  • edited May 2011
    Lol what are youy blaming me for!  I give you words of encouragment, you enter an MTT and finish in the top (paid) 10% :)  Well done sir.

It is the trend when people are relatively new to MTT format.  They nit up around the bubble, the bubble bursts then they breathe a sigh of relief then deny themselves the true fruit of their labours.

Mainatain the A game and focus, let everyone else "relax" (great choice of word btw).  Immediately post bubble ppl fly out of MTT's.  Dont be part of that crowd, only scratching the surface of the money.
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: Is this a common reaction on reaching the money?:
    Lol what are youy blaming me for!  I give you words of encouragment, you enter an MTT and finish in the top (paid) 10% :)  Well done sir. It is the trend when people are relatively new to MTT format.  They nit up around the bubble, the bubble bursts then they breathe a sigh of relief then deny themselves the true fruit of their labours. Mainatain the A game and focus, let everyone else "relax" (great choice of word btw).  Immediately post bubble ppl fly out of MTT's.  Dont be part of that crowd, only scratching the surface of the money.
    Posted by AMYBR

Nit up round the bubble!!!! It took 30 mins to break!  NOT an excuse but was kinda distracted.

You are quite correct - after bubble it went mental!!!

Lesson learnt!

Thanks

P
  • edited May 2011

Post some reads on villains. I think shoving is prob ok.

You will generally get called lighter  after bubble bursts than immediately before it though

• edited May 2011
    I don't like shove, initial raiser has big stack (so can call light) and did so from UTG then 2nd player has flatted off a 3rd of their stack so can't really fold LOLz. If it was limp, limp then I'd be more likely to shove.
  • edited May 2011
    The squeeze-shove looks fine to me.

You'll only have 14 bigs left after this hand if you just fold, so gambling now before you get too short isn't at all unreasonable. QJs has very good equity against the villains opening range. You don't have enough fold equity to make them both fold, so you know you'll have a caller. Obviously it's bad news if he flips over an overpair or a dominating hand like AJ. As it was you had excellent odds for your race against the pair, the dead chips in the pot made this a +ev spot for you. This is a bold move and a high variance play, you're going to bust out often, but when you do take the pot down you'll give yourself a great chance to push on and win the whole thing.
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: Is this a common reaction on reaching the money?:
    The squeeze-shove looks fine to me. You'll only have 14 bigs left after this hand if you just fold, so gambling now before you get too short isn't at all unreasonable. QJs has very good equity against the villains opening range. You don't have enough fold equity to make them both fold, so you know you'll have a caller. Obviously it's bad news if he flips over an overpair or a dominating hand like AJ. As it was you had excellent odds for your race against the pair, the dead chips in the pot made this a big +ev spot for you. This is a bold move and a high variance play, you're going to bust out often, but when you do take the pot down you'll give yourself a great chance to push on and win the whole thing.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    Also, the blinds were about to go up!

This was going through my mind. There were 2 people with huge stacks 90k and everyone else had around the 20/30k iirc. so I was kinda desperatet to get out of the pack! 

Thanks for input.