You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Min bet/ 10-20% pot through streets.

edited May 2011 in The Poker Clinic
How do.  I was hoping some of you guys could offer an insight to this practise I've being seeing alot lately, both here and other sights.  Dominately here though.

The trend to min bet when blinds are small, which is then followed by another min bet (10/20 to 40 rebet to 60)
Then bet min through streets or something like 10 - 20% of pot.

I have stepped away from online for quite awhile now but am looking at doing some over the next month or two.  It used to be that these bets were suited connectors, player attempting to look strong to see flop cheaper, so essentialy worked as a stop bet pre.  But there was a thread up here the other day where a player played 7's UTG with the min stating he should min raise there to lose the minimum post....Which is odd to say the least.

If people did it as some larger scheme it would make sense to me.  But it just seems that its a very odd way to go about things.  After a while it becomes clear its not a stop bet strategy, just people not really knowing how to play their hands.  So many times I get to the turn with isolated strength IP, Pot could be 850 @ 10/20 opponent bets 80-120.  My instinct leans towards "they are inducing raise/shove" so it does work as a great stop bet.  Then you get to showdown seeing they have TPWK or something far worse.

I just dont understand the mentality.  No hand protection and definately not betting for value.  Plus they wont fold the weaker hand they've opened street with to a big value bet.  Dont get it.

Comments

• edited May 2011
    99.99% they are just bad, it can be any sort of hand from a monster to air

Be wary though when it goes minbet,minbet, big bet on river
  • edited May 2011
    Of course :)

But its just differenciating between the two.  Its just incredibly frustrating in many ways, but awesome in others.  Sooooo many times people open OOP for a tiny tiny ask, giving you way beyond price needed to contine.  Then do the same at turn.

Plus they open call raise on all streets.  Just for a player like me who likely thinks too much it just gives pause for thought wihin the hand. 

So you make your draws cheaply + get extra value.

I've wondered if its peoples clever way of using it (the tiny post flop bet) as excellent pot control, as it does act as a stop bet at times.  But then you see the hands at showdown and its always a case of "Wow...what were they thinking?".
  • edited May 2011
    Just to add,

So often if they lead and you raise on flop/turn.  They still lead tiny OOP on the next street.  Its just mind boggling.

But also when someone bets 100< into 1000 at turn/river, my hand involuntarily moves to the raise button, especially as you know they are doing it so weak.  But its pointless as you know they wont fold.

But worse still is the tiny bet on river, when you've missed everything after maybe taking control of the pot early, but knowing they are unlikely to fold 2nd pair.  So you end up HAVING to give up on an inflated pot on river for a tiny tiny bet.  I see this here more than anywhere.  Like i said, if its done as pot control/stop bet its genius, otherwise its just awful.
  • edited May 2011
    Agreed to some of these posts - it's the hardest thing in the world to let a Q high busted flush draw go when someone is betting £5 into a £50 pot but you know if you raise, they're calling with even 19th pair!!!!! 
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: Min bet/ 10-20% pot through streets.:
    Agreed to some of these posts - it's the hardest thing in the world to let a Q high busted flush draw go when someone is betting £5 into a £50 pot but you know if you raise, they're calling with even 19th pair!!!!! 
    Posted by percival09

Exactly! +1