You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

A question about pocket aces.

edited May 2011 in The Poker Clinic
I've been playing 1c/2c on a couple of other sites to try to build my online bankroll. I've been doing ok recently and am up $20 in the last week.

Thing is, about half the time when I get aces I don't see a flop and just win the small and big blinds.

If it's folded around to you on the button with AA is there any logic in just limping so that the blinds might hit a pair and think that they are winning? Obviously this is risky since you have no idea what they have, I'm just so sick of getting AA and only picking up the blinds and a couple of early limpers.

Comments

• edited May 2011
    Play here and u will get 5 callers
  • edited May 2011
    most times better to take the blinds limping loseing all your stack  no way u want 5 going to flop with pocket aces  no chance
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: A question about pocket aces.:
    Play here and u will get 5 callers
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    oh how i crave to be able to blind steal

pointer for OP. winning a small pot is better than losing a big pot.
  • edited May 2011
    Never ever ever limp with Aces......it will end in tears more often than not
  • edited May 2011
    DONT LIMP WITH ACES EVER, unless you have a 100% read that someone behind you will raise but then i would still probably not limp.

Don speaks sense for a change, win a small pot dont lose a big one
  • edited May 2011
    I know how you feel especially at the micro limits, you wait an hour for aces on a table of stations only to find your 6x raise folds out everyone preflop. This doesn't mean you can ever limp, only time I would think about limping is maybe late in an MTT in the SB when I know the BB is very aggro, but even then shoving looks a lot weaker.
  • edited May 2011
    its worse when you get them in the bb and for the last half hour the table has been crazy with big pots galore only for this hand to be folded round to you, profit 1 sb
  • edited May 2011
    how big are your raises, sometimes if u raised stupid amount ppl will fold as its pretty obvious u have a monster hand especially if you been playing tight. :)
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: A question about pocket aces.:
    DONT LIMP WITH ACES EVER, unless you have a 100% read that someone behind you will raise but then i would still probably not limp. Don speaks sense for a change, win a small pot dont lose a big one
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    :)
  • edited May 2011
    I like the way everyone says raise but no one gives a good reason to raise

While winning a small pot is better than losing a big one, similarly winning a big pot is better than winning a small pot.
  • edited May 2011
    Limping with AA isn't the worst play as long as you mix it up, however 6-max i would never limp, if it's a full ring game yes you can.
    Also, if you do decide to limp and get say 4 or 5 handed post flop, just fold if people are showing strength, against 3 or more opponents, together they're favorite to win the hand- i think! 
  • edited May 2011
    yeh..why would he raise, his only sitting there with pocket aces ;-).
  • edited May 2011
    well I think he should raise, but there were 9 replies in front saying raise without one giving a good reason imo which is strange.

I think he should raise for value, will expand more on it later if necessary
  • edited May 2011
    look at your position, if late a small raise or call is ok
    if early 3 or 4 xbb is good
    you need to establish the tables fold to a raise level 4 or 5 or 6BB's, just balance that out with your raise size bearing in mind your position

essentially if your raising 3x and your getting action then ok you have your answer, raise all hands the same

some table will call any raise upto x6 other table will fold to 3x

players at this level are not evaluting this kind of info so you can mess about with raise levels
    There just looking at there cards and if they fancy calling with KK, A4, 67, 99, KQ, JJ, 23, 48

have fun