You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

what should i do?

edited May 2011 in The Poker Clinic
ive been playing the micro tables for the last few weeks and have done quite well, started with £15 and after 2 withdrawal of £100 each ive gstill got £100 in my account. the problem lies here, since sunday ive ran like a wounded donkey.

sunday evening i lost interest in it it got that bad which had resulted in me titling at the tables altho i did no damage,
monday was a killer i lost buyin after buyin and 90% of the time i got money in well in front only for them to river it and today has started in the same way, im down a couple of buyins. the majority of the time its the flush hitting which i think is making it worse coz its the same situation time n time again.

now i know im doing lots right and getting my money in front but im on the dreaded downswing, i still have 25 buyins at nl4 but i want some thoughts on what i should do. do i carryon n hope it changes or take a break for a day or two?

and i cant wait till its my turn to bink the 2 outer in the rare times i get my money in behind

Comments

• edited May 2011
    I personally think if you have been doing well at NL4 why change it? i dont mind taking a shot higher but your proving to crush nl4 so wait till you build up to £150+ again and get onto nl8 and work your way up the ladder.

Some people say play more, some play less if your on a downswing. it really depends but if your getting in good 90% of the time then i would say play more. review your hands and see if your making any common mistakes, or if you are getting a bit complacent which i have done in the past maybe a few days,weeks of and come back when you fancy the challenge again

GL at the tables bud

Kind Regards
    John
  • edited May 2011
    ive not changed much about my game, maybe been a bit more aggressive with my big hands, ive done 10 buyins at in little over a day, couple of occasions the oppo has flopped top set on a rag board n the moneys went in on flop, few times ive got the money in with jj qq v under pair n it spikes, the rest has been people chasing flushes ive got all their money in by the turn only for the river to bring it. dont get me wrong theres been a couple of times ive got it in bad as well n a a couple where ive wasted.

ive not moved onto nl8 yet, i played 1 table on the odd occasions while playing nl4, ive had past misconceptions of grandeur before so i prefer to take my time and withdraw some to enjoy.

i know its just varience as i seem to get money in the middle quite easy
  • edited May 2011
    I'm not a rocket scientist but I think's it's pretty clear what your problem is you are withdrawing WAY too early. If you have built up £300 playing NL4 then surely you could move on to the higher levels, NL8 easy and then make profit faster and on to NL10 I'd say with 30 BI's would be very comfortable.

NL4 for me is not a level where you can withdraw it's just crazy !
  • edited May 2011
    I'm experiencing a horrendous downswing also.  Card dead and outdrawn perpetually.  But your obv doing something right.

If you are tilting and feeling negative as you seem, maybe a day or two off wouldnt hurt.

May the bink be with you :)
  • edited May 2011
    There's not alot you can do really. 

If you're swing is due to run bad, you must still be playing well.

Just gotta keep doing what you're doing and the rest will take care of itself.

If you're playing badly and making mistakes that are costing you money, then that's a different story.......and a break would probably help in this situation......But you aren't....so just keep putting the hours in until you feel the swing is effecting your judgement.
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: what should i do?:
    I'm not a rocket scientist but I think's it's pretty clear what your problem is you are withdrawing WAY too early. If you have built up £300 playing NL4 then surely you could move on to the higher levels, NL8 easy and then make profit faster and on to NL10 I'd say with 30 BI's would be very comfortable. NL4 for me is not a level where you can withdraw it's just crazy !
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    i aint fussed about moving up the levels just now, that will come when th money doesnt mean as much, im out of work so have £300 in my account doesnt make a lot of sense when some of it ould be in my back pocket ( ive got a mates wedding coming up so thats covered) 

im comfortable with the amount im playing just now. its just nice to take some out and enjoy it. im trying to learn lessons from past mistakes  
  • edited May 2011
    There's not alot you can do really.  If you're swing is due to run bad, you must still be playing well. Just gotta keep doing what you're doing and the rest will take care of itself. If you're playing badly and making mistakes that are costing you money, then that's a different story.......and a break would probably help in this situation......But you aren't....so just keep putting the hours in until you feel the swing is effecting your judgement.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    im making one or two mistakes but im keeping them to minimum, i realsie its time to switch off when i make them.

i feel good when im playing, had a short session there and i made 1 really bad call that i now i should never have made but i recovered from that and carried on without thinking about it.
  • edited May 2011
    im gonna give it 1 more night before i decide whats best. i value all opinions gave so far.
  • edited May 2011
    take out money if you want, the idea of poker is to make money. Just stay rolled for level you are playing. It might make sense to try build your roll to make bigger money but if you need the money I dont see why you would leave it there

You are prob running bad, you were prob on a bit of a heater before if you spun 15 into about 400 that quickly playing 4nL. Just ensure that running bad hasnt caused you to tilt a little and start playing bad. Look back thru your hands, if this is the case maybe take a short break and think about how to plug your leaks
  • edited May 2011
    take out money if you want, the idea of poker is to make money. Just stay rolled for level you are playing. It might make sense to try build your roll to make bigger money but if you need the money I dont see why you would leave it there You are prob running bad, you were prob on a bit of a heater before if you spun 15 into about 400 that quickly playing 4nL. Just ensure that running bad hasnt caused you to tilt a little and start playing bad. Look back thru your hands, if this is the case maybe take a short break and think about how to plug your leaks
    Posted by grantorino
    tilt was a bit of an issue when i looked back over hands but i knew the warning signs when i was playing so i logged off after the hands were played.

i just completed another 2 hour session and despite donking off a buyin very early in a race i played my normal game, much like yesterday, i have been keeping a clear head thru it all n its helping me cope. a while back it would have seriously done me in. ended up slightly in profit, this i will take as ive had several days like this over the weeks

as i said in previous posts i will try to build a bigger roll when circumstances change
  • edited May 2011
    this hand shows how bad i was running but i finally binked not just a 2 outer but a 1 outer, changed my whole session there, clawed back a good bit.not just here but on other tables
    paddy Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £3.19
    allaway01 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £1.28
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • K

FRED1986 Call  £0.04 £0.10 £3.67
    wereISevr1 Raise  £0.20 £0.30 £7.98
    TINTIN Raise  £0.84 £1.14 £3.24
    SUPERSLICK All-in  £0.70 £1.84 £0.00
    paddy Fold     
    allaway01 Fold     
    FRED1986 Call  £0.80 £2.64 £2.87
    wereISevr1 Call  £0.64 £3.28 £7.34
    Flop

FRED1986 Check     
    wereISevr1 Check     
    TINTIN All-in  £3.24 £6.52 £0.00
    FRED1986 All-in  £2.87 £9.39 £0.00
    wereISevr1 All-in  £7.34 £16.73 £0.00
    wereISevr1 Unmatched bet  £4.10 £12.63 £4.10
    FRED1986 Show

wereISevr1 Show
    • Q

TINTIN Show
    • K
    • K

SUPERSLICK Show
    • K
    • J

Turn

River

• K

TINTIN Win Full House, Kings and 6s £11.68
  • edited May 2011
    I know how you feel i have done this so many times because i lack discipline and I have thrown so much money away playing online on tilt/drunk/row with the wife  etc.... :D

Honestly you just have periods where you run so good and then you feel like you running really bad
    It's just varaince and the good run you have had does not last forever.

Just take a couple of days off or just play through it.

If your going in ahead it's not your fault just bad luck

If you keep on making bad calls etc.. then just try and plug this in your game
    They call it a grind because you don't always run so good, just average :D
  • edited May 2011
    I'm not a rocket scientist but I think's it's pretty clear what your problem is you are withdrawing WAY too early. If you have built up £300 playing NL4 then surely you could move on to the higher levels, NL8 easy and then make profit faster and on to NL10 I'd say with 30 BI's would be very comfortable. NL4 for me is not a level where you can withdraw it's just crazy !
    Posted by Dudeskin8

+1

You hit the nail on the head.

• edited May 2011
    normal service resumed, got losses back n a bit extra. glad i tried to play thru it n not take the time off. up 12.5 buyins = £50
  • edited May 2011
    glad you back on track tintin, you have a game there very rarley seen at NL4, certainly in the times ive played with you ive enjoyed some "sane" poker. although obviously neither of us are likley to make money off eachother pending AA v KK situations.

I think withdrawing is fine, youve felt the need, and im in a similar situation to you so youve decided to stay at your current level which your winning at and withdrew some pennies. Nothing wrong with that as long as your keeping yourself rolled.

Best of luck mate. And i hope to see you at the tables again. Although not until im ready to return to 6 max (may actually do some today hunt for C4P lol)
  • edited May 2011
    glad you back on track tintin, you have a game there very rarley seen at NL4, certainly in the times ive played with you ive enjoyed some "sane" poker. although obviously neither of us are likley to make money off eachother pending AA v KK situations. I think withdrawing is fine, youve felt the need, and im in a similar situation to you so youve decided to stay at your current level which your winning at and withdrew some pennies. Nothing wrong with that as long as your keeping yourself rolled. Best of luck mate. And i hope to see you at the tables again. Although not until im ready to return to 6 max (may actually do some today hunt for C4P lol)
    Posted by The_Don90
    ive just passed 3000C4P mark so thats another 50 coming my way at start of month, i actually think i will reach the 4000 point mark with ease as well
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: what should i do? : ive just passed 3000C4P mark so thats another 50 coming my way at start of month, i actually think i will reach the 4000 point mark with ease as well
    Posted by TINTIN
    Lol, this is insane.

I play 30/40 and bits of 50nl.....

£5/10 mtt's and a few £10 sngs.....

And I've only just made 2k points.

------------------------------

re withdrawing/moving up ........I've been at the same level for like 3 years, although I'd like to move up, it deffo aint a problem worth worrying about as long as you're winning.
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: what should i do? : Lol, this is insane. I play 30/40 and bits of 50nl..... £5/10 mtt's and a few £10 sngs..... And I've only just made 2k points. ------------------------------ re withdrawing/moving up ........I've been at the same level for like 3 years, although I'd like to move up, it deffo aint a problem worth worrying about as long as you're winning.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    and i never played tillthe 6th of the month when i received last months C4P which was £15. as you said its all about volume
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: what should i do? : ive just passed 3000C4P mark so thats another 50 coming my way at start of month, i actually think i will reach the 4000 point mark with ease as well
    Posted by TINTIN
    How in the he ll do you manage 4k C4P at NL4???
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: what should i do? : How in the he ll do you manage 4k C4P at NL4???
    Posted by silentbob
    From my very rough records I reckon you get 4-5 points per table per hour at 4NL... so thats a lot of tables and a lot of hours!!!
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: what should i do? : How in the he ll do you manage 4k C4P at NL4???
    Posted by silentbob
    im not there yet but ive put in the hours, not as much as i could havemind you.
    im now 5 tabling for about on average 7 hours a day but only increased in the last week from 4.

its been a grind and if i had anything better to do i wouldnt have got anywhere near that.

im at 3100 just now by time i log off iwill be around the 3200 mark so that will be about 250 for today. i missed the first 5 days this month while waiting for last months C4P to come in other wise i would be chasing 5k