You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Have to feel like played perfect..I think. So tilted looking for some reassurance mostly :(

edited May 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Made a big commitment to 3 table 25c/50c 10 hrs a day this week.  Mainly to see if can gather some quantifiable results, or if I need to retire from online forever.  I am mainly a live MTT/cash player, but I think the real money is from Multi tabling online cash, but you have to have the right skillset/approach.  Which I dont think I do to be honest.  Not enough patience, I get bored and dont give opponents enough credit, my game relies to heavily on live reads/feel and I'm not geared enough towards EV+.  I play from my gut far too much.

Was doing well mostly increased BR from $600 to around $2700 in around 3 days.  But then for two days everything just started to fall apart.  My mind deals with the swing badly so am pretty certain it did inpact my game.

If I'm really honesty it is this clinic that has helped me pinpoint my online flaws and leaks.  A couple of you probably know that a few months ago I'd have come up with external sources for my failings, but I think I know better now :p

Anywho the hand.  I'd moved up to $1/$2 chasing my losses (yes yes i know) putting my last $370 on the table. Increased up to about $440 and decide to play one more orbit.  Fold Fold Fold.  Last hand A's UTG.  The big blind is awfully spewy as is UTG+1

BB Spew/luckbox around $550.  Only player involved in hand.

I want him in the hand so make it $5.2 pre all other seats fold.  He ponders, re pops me to $26.  I've been pretty inactive so I think he 3bets me alot there with paint hands, he's pretty aggressive as standard with marginal holdings.

I make it $80 to go, am wanting him to thing I have an AK/Q type hand.  Against less aggro/spewy players I likely make it around $57-65.  Anywho he click raise me back to something like £134.

I'm really tempted to jam here and hope he has Q's K's.  But i decide my stack is slightly to big to 6bet all in  5bet @ $134 vs 6bet Jam $440.  As he is (should be) folding pretty much every hand to the 6bet jam.  So I..................................flat, In position. 

8d9d2c $270 ish in pot I have around $300 behind.  Opponent checks.  Board is slightly wetter than I'd like.  I can only jam the last $300 in hope I get called by 10s through Ks, also given pot size 10J or two paint D's (but I hold the Ad)

So I jam and He tanks.  Calls me with 67o, doesnt even have to wait till the river to hit his 5 :(.

This is likely my last foray into your seedy online world (joke :))

Please feel free to strip the play to pieces.  I would like to say I dont hate the 5 bet flat pre, as he folds out the 67o pre to the 6bet jam + all other holdings.  We've isolated, guy is pot stuck if connects post but easily folds pre.  But I do think I likely 6 bet jam live....

Comments

• edited May 2011
    In Response to Have to feel like played perfect..I think. So tilted looking for some reassurance mostly :(:
    Made a big commitment to 3 table 25c/50c 10 hrs a day this week.  Mainly to see if can gather some quantifiable results, or if I need to retire from online forever.  I am mainly a live MTT/cash player, but I think the real money is from Multi tabling online cash, but you have to have the right skillset/approach.  Which I dont think I do to be honest.  Not enough patience, I get bored and dont give opponents enough credit, my game relies to heavily on live reads/feel and I'm not geared enough towards EV+.  I play from my gut far too much. Was doing well mostly increased BR from $600 to around $2700 in around 3 days.  But then for two days everything just started to fall apart.  My mind deals with the swing badly so am pretty certain it did inpact my game. If I'm really honesty it is this clinic that has helped me pinpoint my online flaws and leaks.  A couple of you probably know that a few months ago I'd have come up with external sources for my failings, but I think I know better now :p Anywho the hand.  I'd moved up to $1/$2 chasing my losses (yes yes i know) putting my last $370 on the table. Increased up to about $440 and decide to play one more orbit.  Fold Fold Fold.  Last hand A's UTG.  The big blind is awfully spewy as is UTG+1 BB Spew/luckbox around $550.  Only player involved in hand. I want him in the hand so make it $5.2 pre all other seats fold.  He ponders, re pops me to $26.  I've been pretty inactive so I think he 3bets me alot there with paint hands, he's pretty aggressive as standard with marginal holdings. I make it $80 to go, am wanting him to thing I have an AK/Q type hand.  Against less aggro/spewy players I likely make it around $57-65.  Anywho he click raise me back to something like £134. I'm really tempted to jam here and hope he has Q's K's.  But i decide my stack is slightly to big to 6bet all in  5bet @ $134 vs 6bet Jam $440.  As he is (should be) folding pretty much every hand to the 6bet jam.  So I..................................flat, In position.  8d9d2c $270 ish in pot I have around $300 behind.  Opponent checks.  Board is slightly wetter than I'd like.  I can only jam the last $300 in hope I get called by 10s through Ks, also given pot size 10J or two paint D's (but I hold the Ad) So I jam and He tanks.  Calls me with 67o, doesnt even have to wait till the river to hit his 5 :(. This is likely my last foray into your seedy online world (joke :)) Please feel free to strip the play to pieces.  I would like to say I dont hate the 5 bet flat pre, as he folds out the 67o pre to the 6bet jam + all other holdings.  We've isolated, guy is pot stuck if connects post but easily folds pre.  But I do think I likely 6 bet jam live....
    Posted by AMYBR
    So many things are wrong with this I don't know where to start. But I'll try.

The overriding problem is you are looking at the wrong things. Yes, you got aces and played them fine- it's kind of tough to play them badly, let's be honest. Bash the raise button and get monies in.

The bolded things in your post are the main things you need to look at, imo. BANKROLL MANAGEMENT. You do NOT stick all your bankroll on the table in one go unless you hate money! Poker is a game of swings and variance, and yes- your opponent played his hand like an idiot. No different to how you played by putting all your roll in play, however.

You say the clinic has fixed your leaks- maybe on a technical level, but poker is infinitely more than that. You have serious leaks still in terms of coping with tilt, bankroll management, and learning that moving UP to chase your losses is a bad idea!!!!

Seriously, stop and think about it for a second- you are focusing on totally the wrong thing. If you're managing your roll, and playing at a sensible level, then losing a hand or two is not an issue. $600 at NL50 is not an adequate roll- it's not awful, but it's far from what you should have in front of you. Do not play unless you have 20 buyins, and if you drop below say 15, move down a level- NOT UP!

This, in my opinion, is the advice you should be looking for and taking on board- not technical stuff which is neither here nor there- fwiw you seem to have a good grasp of the game. Some of the best players in the game are permabroke though because they can't manage their roll.
  • edited May 2011
    Don't wanna sound a tw4t but you clearly know what your doing wrong, only you can sort it out (what deuceslive highlighted in bold)
  • edited May 2011
    Yep I fully agree with this.  This is exactly why I laid the thread out as I did,  I'm acknowledging the bare bones of my issues, mainly that I have hidious BRM and set myself up to mega Tilt online.

This is why I listed one of my huge flaws as patience, whereas live I'm probably one of the most patient untiltable people I know.  I get sucked out on online, my steam level hits defcon 5 and thats it.  Whereas live my emotions are just so much in check.  I kind of think it is the intangible nature of online.  Within the time frame I choose my money is mine, its not "virtually mine"

But as I said my online approach is hugely flawed.  I have zero BRM, but I cant play at levels that are meaningless, I play worse than S Farha after a night on the beers.

The money really isnt the hugest issue for me, as it comes from a % of online winnings.  But I tilt myself so bad and tend to loose confidence in my game when losing online. 

But again, you are hugely right.  I dont think the technical side of my game is hugely at fault.  It is my hidious BR managment and over commiting.  Anyone have a magic cure to BR issues?

• edited May 2011
    Don't play online cash with all your br!
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: Have to feel like played perfect..I think. So tilted looking for some reassurance mostly :(:
    In Response to Have to feel like played perfect..I think. So tilted looking for some reassurance mostly :( : So many things are wrong with this I don't know where to start. But I'll try. The overriding problem is you are looking at the wrong things. Yes, you got aces and played them fine- it's kind of tough to play them badly, let's be honest. Bash the raise button and get monies in. The bolded things in your post are the main things you need to look at, imo. BANKROLL MANAGEMENT. You do NOT stick all your bankroll on the table in one go unless you hate money! Poker is a game of swings and variance, and yes- your opponent played his hand like an idiot. No different to how you played by putting all your roll in play, however. You say the clinic has fixed your leaks- maybe on a technical level, but poker is infinitely more than that. You have serious leaks still in terms of coping with tilt, bankroll management, and learning that moving UP to chase your losses is a bad idea!!!! Seriously, stop and think about it for a second- you are focusing on totally the wrong thing. If you're managing your roll, and playing at a sensible level, then losing a hand or two is not an issue. $600 at NL50 is not an adequate roll- it's not awful, but it's far from what you should have in front of you. Do not play unless you have 20 buyins, and if you drop below say 15, move down a level- NOT UP! This, in my opinion, is the advice you should be looking for and taking on board- not technical stuff which is neither here nor there- fwiw you seem to have a good grasp of the game. Some of the best players in the game are permabroke though because they can't manage their roll.
    Posted by DeucesLive
    +1 good advice

• edited May 2011
    i probably cant offer you any advice whatsoever lol. but just want to say, sometimes play abc poker. im not a pro or do it for a living but i would of jammed it in, you must of known u were going to eventually jam on the flop beforehand?

hope u manage to sort ur problems out :)
  • edited May 2011
    I think I put this up because sub conciously I wanted telling off :)

I honestly dont know how to fix my BR issues, I really dont.  I think it may be better to put myself on a break til I do.

I know in my mind (have known since I burnt my 5 figure BR) its probably a big part of my online problems but I just keep repeating same mistake.

"Some of the best players in the game are permabroke though because they can't manage their roll.
    ".  Well put dueces, this is me totally - excluding the best players bit.
  • edited May 2011
    plus, i think they call it the meta game(the game within the game). if he calls an all in with 67 his mental.
  • edited May 2011
    There really is a difference between knowing your issues + knowing how to correct them. 

Because I dont know how to fix them, I think I need to give it up until I do.
  • edited May 2011
    the best players in the world wouldn't survive with 10 buy ins or anywhere around that.
    you look like a good live player, and you've mentioned you base alot of your game on instinct and getting a read on your opponent - online, this is so much harder to do, i've played both live and online cash, online i play much more solid because of that reason, plus the fact i play so many different opponents each day i have no chance of getting a read on them. 
    If you're playing seriously, as in making a living of it, i'd advise atleast 40 buy ins if you're playing online, because of the fact you'll be multi-tabling, so more money at risk etc ... with live, you can have less obv because only one table, but you just have to make sure you have the right figures behind if things go wrong. If you play recreationally, like myself, you still need a good roll of atleast 20 buy ins i'd say (online). 
  • edited May 2011
    I have a really solid 5 figure Live roll.  I've played fulltime live for about 3 and a bit years now and it does pay me solidly.

But I am also a mental health nurse and am not opposed to picking up a night shift or 2 a month through an agency, if the need arises (which pays preety well).

About 4 years ago I had a huge solid start online turning $300 into about $27k pretty darn quick but I did scoop a pretty big win in a branded online MTT.  But I flamed that BR even quicker, just going on what I perceived to be a sick run, but I think my perception has somewhat changed now.

Following this loss I've always maybe had a grudge towards online play :) Never really commiting to it as the gradient to equal previous success is so high.  I think unconciously I have something to prove online and it just interferes with my game really badly.  I have alot of online baggage that I cant really find my way out of.

But as you say my game is based around live play, this causing me huge issues online.  I have had some BLACK t shirts made with AMYBR written in block white on chest, so next GUKPT i do ok in people may see im not such an idiot live :p
  • edited May 2011
    Hand is ok, although I jam over the 5bet, I think most bluffing hands will give up when a 5bet is called. I also dont like the 2.5bb open this deep

Your brm is brutal, you know this find a way to fix it. Same goes for tilt.

Personally, and I know the money meaning very little to you will make it difficult, I think you need to start grinding at 10 or 20NL and get to know how to play straightforward poker with very few reads. I havent played 50NL here, but on the major sites the standard of play at 50NL is way ahead of the live games you play (judging from what you post). Playing low stakes and learning how to play simple ABC poker to max value, then learning to adjust to thinking players as you move up is the way to go. You need to start from close to scratch and grind
  • edited May 2011
    Agree, but have known it for awhile, just CANNOT MAKE IT STICK.  Have reached out to a couple of potential coaches as I'm pretty sure I'm not going to overcome the online hurdle one my own.  Am hoping that figuritively playing with a man on my back may cause me to course correct.

In alot of ways I'm a big fish in little ponds live, or ponds I elect to swim in.  I'm fully aware of this.

Lol, but insight into my own issues...........Why do you think i picked A M Y B R as a user name????  :)  Was meant to be a permanent reminder

• edited May 2011
    Stop being a girl and sort it out )

I know how you feel, I still do it  - put 50% of my BR on a cash table or entry into a massive MTT taking a shot and it goes bad

Maybe we are in the same bracket where we just want it all very quickly and even though yeah we can quadraple a roll very quickly for example. We can also loose it very quickly because we have no discipline or BRM.

I think I have come to the conclusion that just ain't going to happen, going to have to build a roll slowly unless a few MTT wins come along at the level I am playing.

They do say money rolls upwards to the 10% of winning poker players. All the players that take a win from poker end up giving it all back through lack of BRM and the willingness to gamble above there ability.