You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Trying to learn. What did i do wrong?

edited May 2011 in The Poker Clinic

Im really wanting to learn as much as possible and improve my game. What did i do wrong this hand?

Hand History #375654437 (20:40 26/05/2011)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
LIONS444 Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £6.44
DMUSS69 Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £7.77
  Your hole cards
  • A

PairedLady Fold     
power1983 Fold     
anthony462 Fold     
ace001 Raise  £0.40 £0.55 £3.60
LIONS444 Call  £0.35 £0.90 £6.09
DMUSS69 Call  £0.30 £1.20 £7.47
Flop

• A

LIONS444 Check     
DMUSS69 Bet  £0.60 £1.80 £6.87
ace001 Call  £0.60 £2.40 £3.00
LIONS444 Fold     
Turn

DMUSS69 Bet  £0.80 £3.20 £6.07
ace001 Call  £0.80 £4.00 £2.20
River

• J

DMUSS69 Bet  £2.00 £6.00 £4.07
ace001 Call  £2.00 £8.00 £0.20
DMUSS69 Show
  • J

ace001 Muck
  • A

DMUSS69 Win Two Pairs, Jacks and 7s £7.40  £11.47

Comments

• edited May 2011
    Hey mate. I dont play these stakes or have any read on the oppo but imo...

I like the raise on the button, he then bets out(which could mean he has a bigger ace or bluffing) i might of maybe re-raised to test his nerve as a ak or aq or aj hand might of re-raised pre flop.

I cant see much wrong else, his just a bad player, who happened to hit 2 pair on the turn and river.

Not sure if at anypoint during the hand you though he was bluffing and perhaps give him a re-raise to show strength.

v v v lucky guy there tho.

hope this helps
  • edited May 2011
    A6s is fine raising the button

if you want to find out where you are on the flop raise his bet, if he calls or plays back then get ready to fold )

it will work out cheaper than calling down 3 steets and finding out he got a better ace
    it may also fold out certain weak aces that your not beating

in this case you fold him out unless he is just a spazzzzzzzzzzzzzzz/zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • edited May 2011
    can people who want to reraise to see where they are at, tell me exactly where they are at if raised/called.

Sounds like turning top pair into a bluff, which might be ok sometimes, but I dont like it readless
  • edited May 2011
    Fine pre,

on the question i just think you got commited to the call button, on the flop i would defo pot bet with weak ace and a flush draw out there. you let others do your betting which is the opposite if you have a hand bet,bet, bet

also once you bet on flop & maybe turn and called i would then probably slow down because we only have 1 pair and get to showdown cheap as possible or fold to any serious strength
  • edited May 2011
    ^^^^
    guy donks into him on flop, are you raisng pot here with Arag?
  • edited May 2011

It's a fold pre playing 40xbb.

GT - In what sorta situations would it be fine to turn top pair into a bluff?

Against total nits I guess???
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: Trying to learn. What did i do wrong?:
    It's a fold pre playing 40xbb. GT - In what sorta situations would it be fine to turn top pair into a bluff? Against total nits I guess???
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    not often, prob close to never on this board.It might be possible with very good reads against a player who folds lots to raises.

I was more kind of thinking that if the people who want to raise to see where they were at  just said they were bluffing I could see some sort of sense in it. Without reads I would really hate turning it into a bluff here
  • edited May 2011
    i think you played it fine.
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: Trying to learn. What did i do wrong?:
    In Response to Re: Trying to learn. What did i do wrong? : not often, prob close to never on this board.It might be possible with very good reads against a player who folds lots to raises. I was more kind of thinking that if the people who want to raise to see where they were at  just said they were bluffing I could see some sort of sense in it. Without reads I would really hate turning it into a bluff here
    Posted by grantorino
    I suppose bluffing with the best hand by raising the flop is not the best thing to do :S And it does go against the theory of poker, you know only 2 reason to bet etc... Give up a better hand or get value out of yor hand
    But unless your really good at playing post flop through the streets i would not advocate trying to call and evalute. I think in general where they are calling down at these levels they are more often than not dominated.

Just my opnion
    to be honest even though you should never be results orientated, how many time have you called down with the best hand only for them to outdraw you ) So it also counter acts this possibility.
    Everyone tells you how well you read the other player and you played the hand so well only for your money to go away from you ) Rarther be told you butchered that hand but still won a big pot :D