You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

My introduction to running bad....

edited May 2011 in The Poker Clinic
I havent had a winning session for about a week now (not one of any note anyway) and have lost a third of my bankroll which is not nice considering the effort put in to building it. The greatest frustration is not hitting the flop at all ever!!! So I think I'm chasing the cards a little too much by way of compensating.

So two questions please, first, your reaction to this hand...

In this situation I'm playing against someone who is playing every hand and calling every raise and I literally mean every hand preflop, and then he's doing all kinds a wierd stuff leaving himself with literally anything on the river.

However, should I have not called the all-in?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance30jonnySmall blind £0.02£0.02£3.28phillip176Big blind £0.04£0.06£0.51 Your hole cardsAK   ZedsDeadBaRaise £0.16£0.22£4.63mrmartFold    dunn88Call £0.16£0.38£5.0830jonnyCall £0.14£0.52£3.14phillip176Fold    Flop  10Q4   30jonnyCheck    ZedsDeadBaBet £0.39£0.91£4.24dunn88Fold    30jonnyRaise £0.78£1.69£2.36ZedsDeadBaCall £0.39£2.08£3.85Turn  6   30jonnyBet £2.08£4.16£0.28ZedsDeadBaCall £2.08£6.24£1.77River  Q   30jonnyAll-in £0.28£6.52£0.00ZedsDeadBaCall £0.28£6.80£1.4930jonnyShow97   ZedsDeadBaShowAK   30jonnyWinFlush to the Queen£6.29 £6.29

Secondly, I'm constantly finding myself at the turn having raised pre with lets say AKo in the c/o with a Q983 board and my pre and c-bets having been flat-called, I know my check gets raised, and any further bet is chip spew, half the time this is just poker I understand that, but because I'm not hitting anything at all at the moment I'm getting myself tangled up hand after hand and finding myself on the river with Ace high! Or QQ on a 986KA Board, etc! 

I try making my preflop bets bigger but this just has the added effect of reducing my buy-ins more quickly.

Any Ideas on how to arrest the slide? Apart from taking up golf!

Cheers,

Mark.

Comments

• edited May 2011
    I dont think its necessarily bad, but Id be interested in your reasons for cbetting and plan if he flats and you miss turn
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: My introduction to running bad....:
    I dont think its necessarily bad, but Id be interested in your reasons for cbetting and plan if he flats and you miss turn
    Posted by grantorino
    The c-bet is an attempt to take the pot down there and then, it seems to work often enough to make it proftable.

Missing the turn results in me meekly giving up invariably.
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: My introduction to running bad.... : The c-bet is an attempt to take the pot down there and then, it seems to work often enough to make it proftable. Missing the turn results in me meekly giving up invariably.
    Posted by ZedsDeadBa
    This seems to contradict:

In this situation I'm playing against someone who is playing every hand and calling every raise and I literally mean every hand preflop, and then he's doing all kinds a wierd stuff leaving himself with literally anything on the river
  • edited May 2011
    This is major spew for me.

Preflop HAS to be 20p minimum.

Flop against two players I'm in check fold mode, yes it's weak but remember you have NO HAND, NO DRAW.

Turn I wouldn't have got there but why the hell are you calling a pot bet with air, forget K hgih flush draw with one card to come.

River is inconsequential but yet again you pay him off the rest.

For me the minimum you should lose in this hand is 20p the raise preflop if you don't get cheap/free card to see turn GIVE UP.
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: My introduction to running bad.... : This seems to contradict: In this situation I'm playing against someone who is playing every hand and calling every raise and I literally mean every hand preflop, and then he's doing all kinds a wierd stuff leaving himself with literally anything on the river
    Posted by grantorino
    Oh ok, I see what you mean.

Thats embarrassing.
  • edited May 2011
    This is major spew for me. Preflop HAS to be 20p minimum. Flop against two players I'm in check fold mode, yes it's weak but remember you have NO HAND, NO DRAW. Turn I wouldn't have got there but why the hell are you calling a pot bet with air, forget K hgih flush draw with one card to come. River is inconsequential but yet again you pay him off the rest. For me the minimum you should lose in this hand is 20p the raise preflop if you don't get cheap/free card to see turn GIVE UP.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Ok, that's a proper, and deserved, slap!

I cant really explain my play other than a combination of my desperation to make a hand, and the belief he was playing worse than me.

• edited May 2011
    Agree with dudeskin

P/F has to be a bigger.

I dont mind the c bet, but im suspicious as to the re-raise, i would possibly give it up then(depending on oppo's style)

I think its pretty clear he has a flush when the turn hits, i wouldn't call a pot size bet

Even when the river doesn't hit ur king high flush, u still give him the last 28p lol

Not a very good hand imo.

• edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: My introduction to running bad.... : Ok, that's a proper, and deserved, slap! I cant really explain my play other than a combination of my desperation to make a hand, and the belief he was playing worse than me.
    Posted by ZedsDeadBa
    This is tilt my friend, step AWAY from the computer !
  • edited May 2011
    dude, I dont like flop cbet tbh, but he has a gutshot, 2overs and villain definitely calls lots with worse 
  • edited May 2011
    dude, I dont like flop cbet tbh, but he has a gutshot, 2overs and villain definitely calls lots with worse 
    Posted by grantorino
    Yes he has outs but it's just against two players I'm not a great fan.
  • edited May 2011
    Dont bluff a calling station especially on a wet board. Doesnt matter how bad they are, they do have it sometimes. Wait until you hit something and then get involved.

On the specifics, as DOHHHHHH said a few weeks back, at 4NL with a big hand pre flop, 'just keep bashing the raise button until it is a big number'.

I dont know your bankroll but i find when i am running bad its quite satisfying playing 0.30p DYM's just to get your tilt out there, its like therapy at such a low cost. Just throw chips about until you are the one handing out bad beats to someone else. Its frickin ace for tilt!
  • edited May 2011
    Dont bluff a calling station especially on a wet board. Doesnt matter how bad they are, they do have it sometimes. Wait until you hit something and then get involved. On the specifics, as DOHHHHHH said a few weeks back, at 4NL with a big hand pre flop, 'just keep bashing the raise button until it is a big number'. I dont know your bankroll but i find when i am running bad its quite satisfying playing 0.30p DYM's just to get your tilt out there, its like therapy at such a low cost. Just throw chips about until you are the one handing out bad beats to someone else. Its frickin ace for tilt!
    Posted by DrSharp
    Thanks Doc that sounds like a fun piece of advice!
  • edited May 2011
    Yeh the c bet is questionable, but you have turn cards that will make you a strong hand.

But, it's three ways, and you're out of position, so you need to be very careful. I agree with just check folding, or check/calling a ridiculously small bet, which happens sometimes.

Remember your whole strategy is based around good hands, and getting value.

Here you are chasing and clinging on to a weak hand......

It might be hard to win at nl4 when you're getting dealt junk and missing flops, but that doesn't mean you have to lose.....

Patience, discipline, volume......
  • edited May 2011
    Patience, discipline, volume......
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Hi DOHHHHHHH,

Right, thats now posted-it to my monitor.

Appreciate the constructive advice. Its not nice putting oneself up for ridicule but needs must I suppose.

I thought I had patience but I've hardly hit a flop in about a week and thats not hyberbole! I know that shouldn't be an excuse to start playing garbage but is it possible to go so long with Nothing or I could I be imagining it's worse than it is?