You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

I prob should call, but i just cant do it.

Hi guys. Back in the clinic again!! Right, NL8. Villain has been involved in quite a few pots and it has been a limpathon to say the least. I nearly always come in with a raise but on the following hand i was OOP and just flat called the min raise. The min raise was suspicious to me as villain has limped nearly every time he has entered the hand. The other info on villain i can give is that he has been fairly passive, checking a flopped pair of Aces with 6 kicker on the flop from position and only calling a small turn bet before re raising the river.

The hand itself is a tad annoying. I feel like i should call but i have to be behind here against a (so far) passive player dont i? I feel as though i am at least out kicked. Is this an easy fold or an awkward call? Annoyed me as i should have given up the turn but decided to see if he fiired again. He did and from a player who had been fairly quiet it scared me a little.

I have been labelled nitty in the past so i am trying to loosen up a bit and not be worried about everything out there. Just dont know when to stop calling sometimes. Views please.

Hand History #376215306 (14:44 28/05/2011)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
kayemel Small blind  £0.04 £0.04 £12.16
DrSharp Big blind  £0.08 £0.12 £14.72
derby546 Big blind  £0.08 £0.20 £7.92
  Your hole cards
  • J

derby546 Check     
CRAWFY66 Raise  £0.16 £0.36 £2.30
villainCall  £0.16 £0.52 £7.62
Wootie Fold     
kayemel Fold     
DrSharp Call  £0.08 £0.60 £14.64
derby546 Fold     
Flop

• J

DrSharp Bet  £0.32 £0.92 £14.32
CRAWFY66 Call  £0.32 £1.24 £1.98
villainCall  £0.32 £1.56 £7.30
Turn

DrSharp Check     
CRAWFY66 Check     
villainBet  £1.56 £3.12 £5.74
DrSharp Call  £1.56 £4.68 £12.76
CRAWFY66 Fold     
River

DrSharp Check     
villainAll-in  £5.74 £10.42 £0.00
DrSharp Fold     
villainMuck     
villainWin  £4.32  £4.32
villainReturn  £5.74

Comments

• edited May 2011
    I sometimes check flop

I prefer betting turn if you are calling anyway

I think river fold is ok
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: I prob should call, but i just cant do it.:
    I sometimes check flop I prefer betting turn if you are calling anyway I think river fold is ok
    Posted by grantorino
    Reason for not checking flop was that the table was sooooo passive. Usually the hands were finishing with a c-bet on the flop. The fact i had two callers on the flop worried me slightly as did the villains min raise as i hadnt seen him do that before. I decided to go in to check call mode and then he bets in to me which i hadnt seen him do before. I called just to see if it quietened him down a bit, then he fires the lot in on the river. I had it in my head that he only does that with the nuts so folded. Seems a bit weak folding top pair on that board.

Your right tho, should of bet turn. I'm such a coward lol. Thanks for weighing in mate.
  • edited May 2011
    Preflop fine.

Probably check/call flop if you're going to bet surely it needs to be more than half-pot.

Turn I suppose you're taking pot control, but when a pot pet comes in that would certainly set alarm bells off in my head.

I probably fold turn but river is snap fold against a passive station.

Also you mention being labelled a nit, this confuses me why would you want/need to play any different way at this level, remember don't beh bluffin' dem fishies !
  • edited May 2011
    Always in pre.  An argument could be made for putting a solid 3 bet in pre, rather than taking a passive route.  Myself, I'd flat and take it multiway also though.

I know I shouldnt, but I do bet flop, mainly for info.  I want to know whats out there + take the momentum in the hand If I'm able.

I may slow down at turn also, player dependant.  But I dont fully understand the check call followed by the check fold, as the 4 doesnt really seem to be a dramatic card.  May call turn to see if he fires river, which he does.  But if your good at turn, your good on river.

You've let him take the momentum at the turn, he then seems to turn the screws.  He jams the river which is kind of odd, full pot bet, kind of looks like a missed draw - but could just as easily be a set/better J  with the call behind + lead on flop/turn.

I likely lead turn, shutting down to any further action.  But its at odds to what most ppl say as I'd likely be leading to fold to a raise, but to me its better than check calling two more streets or c/c then c/f river.  This likely isnt the best advice for the broader game, but in this spot I feel like I need to know where I am.  However you are extracting value from draws and second pairs.......