You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How affective is the continuation bet??

edited May 2011 in The Poker Clinic
here is a hand where i did a c bet, didnt work? What are peoples thoughts on c bet (especially after you raise preflop). 
it works on tight players, but im find alot more player are floating on the flop and then taking the pot on the turn, so its not as affective?? Any thoughts
Hand History #376484641 (10:26 29/05/2011)PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancePOWERFULLSmall blind £0.05£0.05£11.13hamster880Big blind £0.10£0.15£10.70wkdeyeBig blind £0.10£0.25£9.90 Your hole cardsAQ   spursbarCall £0.10£0.35£4.92wkdeyeCheck    mrroofFold    POWERFULLFold    hamster880Raise £0.30£0.65£10.40spursbarCall £0.30£0.95£4.62wkdeyeFold    Flop  108J   hamster880Bet £0.71£1.66£9.69spursbarCall £0.71£2.37£3.91Turn  10   hamster880Check    spursbarBet £2.37£4.74£1.54hamster880Fold    spursbarMuck    spursbarWin £2.19 £3.73spursbarReturn £2.37£0.18£6.10

Comments

• edited May 2011
    c-bet's really effective, but you're forgetting one key element- position.

If you're out of position, you have to be much more willing to fire the second barrel, and be aware of your opponent. If you believe they're floating you (and you need really solid evidence here) then fire again on the turn, it gets through a lot.

But what you really want is to be in position, where you can then take more information away about your opponent's hand. Remember, TAG poker is key at this level- pick your spots to c-bet, and mostly don't get too carried away with bluffing. Just bet out solidly with your value hands.

The c-bet really comes into its own when you're playing against better players, not stationfish who just limp/call and check/call with all kinds of garbage. 
  • edited May 2011
    looks fine that turn is really bad barreling card
  • edited May 2011
    You have flopped a double bellybuster, and with overcards are going nowhere. I know it's quaint, but if you'll call the villain's bet you're better off making it yourself. The c-bet is fine in my opinion.

Hate turn - check and call based on pot (or implied) odds to hit bellybuster.

{Generally speaking though, that's a horrible flop to c-bet. Without the double bellybuster I think it's probably a bad move because one of the reasons for the c-bet, to take the hand down immediately, is almost certainly gone. What hands would he fold there - 55 maybe, A2s.. not many?)

• edited May 2011
    IMO c-bet is genuinely less effective online than Live (as a true effective c-bet), as onine players (for the most part) are playing a more technical game.  When something is expected as normal, it becomes easier to counter.  Thats not to say you shouldnt do it, as its a staple.  But it will be given less credit than say at your avg live game. You'll get played back at more + floated more. Which in itself is reason enough to do it regardless (as when you bet for value it is perceived as a standard c-bet).

So less effective as a tool on a stand alone basis, but effective as a combination of tools that make your game aggressive as a rule.  Online I'm coming over the top of a standard c-better a good portion of the time because it is just so obvious.  Whereas live it can be much tricker to have it be as effective.  As you need to exude confidence, but also the c-bet isnt quite so predictable.
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: How affective is the continuation bet??:
    IMO c-bet is genuinely less effective online than Live (as a true effective c-bet), as onine players (for the most part) are playing a more technical game.  When something is expected as normal, it becomes easier to counter.  Thats not to say you shouldnt do it, as its a staple.  But it will be given less credit than say at your avg live game. You'll get played back at more + floated more. Which in itself is reason enough to do it regardless (as when you bet for value it is perceived as a standard c-bet). So less effective as a tool on a stand alone basis, but effective as a combination of tools that make your game aggressive as a rule.  Online I'm coming over the top of a standard c-better a good portion of the time because it is just so obvious.  Whereas live it can be much tricker to have it be as effective.  As you need to exude confidence, but also the c-bet isnt quite so predictable.
    Posted by AMYBR
    +1 
  • edited May 2011
    I raise pre, bet flop, check/fold turn at least 100 times a night at 30nl.

B*****ds!
  • edited May 2011
    The thing I would say about cbetting is THINK. Too many players auto cbet with no real plan for the hand. Cbetting is a kind of balancing measure, based on the fact that we want to get value when you do have a hand and that opponent will usually miss flop

The things you should be thinking about include:
    -Does this flop hit my opponents range
    - Does it hit what he perceives as my range
    - Does he like to float or raise cbets light. Does he fold weak pairs/weak draws
    - What am I doing if he flats/raises. Especially if he flats am I giving up, barrelling every turn , barelling certain turns. If I barrell turn am I b/f or b/c. If he calls turn am I emptying the clip
    - Is my hand likely to improve, and if it does will it make me a better hand than my opponent.

The hand you posted I think cbetting is prob fine. Reasons to cbet would include, he folds some better hands, calls with weaker draws, lots of turns improve us . Reasons not to might include flop smacks a limpcall range in the face, also if he never has weak J etc, A or Q might make him 2pair etc. OOP I think you kind of have to bet though because our hand looks too strong to c/f and I dont like c/c because it will be harder to get paid if you hit