You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Hello

edited June 2011 in The Poker Clinic
New to pokerz. Anybody got any tipz?

Seriously though, not had a proper game for 3 months + and even towards the tail end of last year it was all a bit bitty. Started new job a couple of months ago and had to do plenty of study to get myself qualified, and now I am, I have a more income coming in and plenty free time now the studying is over....

So I'm planning on returning to the grind after a long break, and starting from a small BR. Only £100 to start with, but seriously don't feel I could play less than 10p/20p - even that I think I'm going to find excruciating.

Can there be any justification for just playing maybe 15/30 with 3 BI's?

Also, anyone else ever had a prolonged break and how did they feel on their return? Rusty? Or is it quite easy to get back into the swing of it?

Comments

• edited June 2011
    In Response to Hello:
    New to pokerz. Anybody got any tipz? Seriously though, not had a proper game for 3 months + and even towards the tail end of last year it was all a bit bitty. Started new job a couple of months ago and had to do plenty of study to get myself qualified, and now I am, I have a more income coming in and plenty free time now the studying is over.... So I'm planning on returning to the grind after a long break, and starting from a small BR. Only £100 to start with, but seriously don't feel I could play less than 10p/20p - even that I think I'm going to find excruciating. Can there be any justification for just playing maybe 15/30 with 3 BI's? Also, anyone else ever had a prolonged break and how did they feel on their return? Rusty? Or is it quite easy to get back into the swing of it?
    Posted by CLIOKID
    Welcome back.

If your happy to reload then there's nothing with 3 BI's

I've had a few breaks over the last few years but never as long as 3 months.  I hear it tends to improve your game.  Can refocus you and leaves some of the old baggage behind.  GL, or goodskill, whichever you prefer :p
  • ybyb
    edited June 2011

I haven't grinded at all this year really apart from a couple of weeks in April, and whenever I was playing I didn't feel like I wanted to play at all so wasn't playing well. But that's probably just to do with the fact that I've been pretty busy with real life stuff and have had no motivation to play online.

If you're going to have a lot of free time now though and you've got the urge back to play again then you should be fine, 30nl seems fine providing the £100 deposit is not all of your poker money and you can reload if you go bust. glgl

• edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: Hello:
    I haven't grinded at all this year really apart from a couple of weeks in April, and whenever I was playing I didn't feel like I wanted to play at all so wasn't playing well. But that's probably just to do with the fact that I've been pretty busy with real life stuff and have had no motivation to play online. If you're going to have a lot of free time now though and you've got the urge back to play again then you should be fine, 30nl seems fine providing the £100 deposit is not all of your poker money and you can reload if you go bust. glgl
    Posted by yb
    Ty.

Been working through the day and studying at night, exams passed now so I've now got my nights back.

Quite looking forward to playing again but almost feel as though I've forgotten how to play. Some may say I never knew in the first place but that's another matter :)
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Hello:
    Only £100 to start with, but seriously don't feel I could play less than 10p/20p - even that I think I'm going to find excruciating. Can there be any justification for just playing maybe 15/30 with 3 BI's?

Hi,

Yes, the justification is called variance. 

Those who say you can always reload miss the point: if you wanted to invest more, you would deposit more to start with!

Regards,

Max

• edited June 2011
    In Response to Hello : Hi, Yes, the justification is called variance.  Those who say you can always reload miss the point: if you wanted to invest more, you would deposit more to start with! Regards, Max
    Posted by lastpoet22
    Not missing the point at all bud.

By his own admission cliokid doesnt want to play low stakes.  If you knew more about his history on this site you'd know why 2 seperate people comment that 3 BI's is ok with the intention of reloading if the shape goes pear.
  • edited June 2011
    Im with lastpoet on this, if he willing to reload he isnt really playing with a bankroll of 100. Even for a player likely to crush I would think 10 buy ins would be the min. I know nothing of cliokid, but I would stick to at least 10BI, more if hes not excellent
  • edited June 2011
    Welcome back, im sure you feel really refreshed.
    After i have had a break the things i find hard are Tilt and how long to play.  The how long to play has been the hardest for me, quiting after losing 3 buyins even though i have a few very good tables. (i think fcuk it)
    How many tables was you playing?
    If it was 6ish tables then i will sugest playing less than you was to start off with, say 4 max.
    With a £100 roll (as long as you can reload) its prob best to play 4 tables of £10nl rather than 3 @ £30nl.  You might start off great, first few sessions might see you +10-15 buyins Then take a stab at £30nl.
  • edited June 2011
    Welcome back, im sure you feel really refreshed. After i have had a break the things i find hard are Tilt and how long to play.  The how long to play has been the hardest for me, quiting after losing 3 buyins even though i have a few very good tables. (i think fcuk it) How many tables was you playing? If it was 6ish tables then i will sugest playing less than you was to start off with, say 4 max. With a £100 roll (as long as you can reload) its prob best to play 4 tables of £10nl rather than 3 @ £30nl.  You might start off great, first few sessions might see you +10-15 buyins Then take a stab at £30nl.
    Posted by freechips1
    Cheers.

Just had my first wee session.

Was just having a bash at 20nl to ease my way back in. £40 banked and I feel confident that I've not completely forgotten how to play, it all came back pretty quickly, mistakes and all.

:)
  • edited June 2011
    Welcome back CLIOKID.

Missed your input in the clinic. Congrats on the job and exams and all that serious stuff!
  • edited June 2011
    Welcome back CLIOKID. Missed your input in the clinic. Congrats on the job and exams and all that serious stuff!
    Posted by DrSharp
    Cheers Sharpy.

Will hopefully be posting alot more again now that I've returned to the baize!