You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

trains!!!!!!

edited October 2009 in The Shed
as i usually have to travel by rail,( dont drive protecting the environment ) just wondered what the best rail journeys are in the uk?? also which stations have the best/worst facilities or connection time?? Was once given a journey with a 5-minute connection at birmingham new street!! impossible!!!!!

ps this isnt a genuine post, just a test to see if tikay is awake

Comments

• edited September 2009

If I had all day & all night, I could not finish answering that question!

Two to whet your whistle (see what I did there?) though.....

Kings Cross to Edinburgh Waverley, what was the GNER. Runs along the East Coast - ON the coast - for much of the northern end, with Berwick-upon-Tweed , Durham - you can clearly see the Cathedral perched atop the town from the train, & of course Newcastle, with all it's wonderful bridges.

Paddington to Penzance on the ex-GWR line. The stretch along the sea-wall between Dawlish & Dawlish Warren being my favourite piece of PW in the whole world.

Nice to Monte Carlo, all along the Med coastline.

Your own fault for asking. ;)
  • edited September 2009
    if this was a real post this would be my reply....

i agree with tikay on the east coast line journey from York to Edinburgh.
    much of the line is along the glorious Northumberland coast line and on the approach to the small village of Alnmouth you are greeted with a hillside row of multi-coloured houses.

lovely stuff...

• edited September 2009

Birmingham New St counts as the Nation's worst station, with Leeds not far behind.

The best? - too many to mention, but Paddington - naturally, Bristol Temple Meads, Newcastle, Darlington, Doncaster, Derby, York, all score highly.

The architecture at St Pancras is magnificent, but the actual platform areas are complete poo.
  • edited September 2009

On a serious note gr8 western are a really good service as for east midlands well they are AWFUL,,

• edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: trains!!!!!!:
    if this was a real post this would be my reply.... The journey from York to Edinburgh. much of the line is along the glorious northumberland coast line and on the approach to the small village of alnmouth you are greeted with a hillside row of multi-coloured houses. lovely stuff...
    Posted by Sky_Rich
    Agreed, but is it not Alnwick, rather than Alnmouth?
  • edited September 2009
    Alnwick is not actually right by the sea but slightly inland a couple of miles away. i think the station is known as Alnwick- Alnmouth but you can be sure that station and those houses are very much Alnmouth.

why am i so sure???

(my girlfriend lives there so i'm in Alnmouth just about every weekend)
  • edited September 2009
    Best? id say paddington, crewe, or waterloo

Worst? id say swansea, newport or leeds
  • edited September 2009
    Alnwick is not actually right by the sea but slightly inland a couple of miles away. i think the station is known as Alnwick- Alnmouth but you can be sure that station and those houses are very much Alnmouth. why am i so sure??? (my girlfriend lives there so i'm in Alnmouth just about every weekend)
    Posted by Sky_Rich
    Blimey!! u have a girlfriend n1 m8 wd..
  • edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: trains!!!!!! : Blimey!! u have a girlfriend n1 m8 wd..
    Posted by razorkev
    cheeky!
  • edited September 2009
    Tikay, have you ever visited the railway centre at Didcot? Lots of GWR steamers there!
  • edited September 2009
    Tikay, have you ever visited the railway centre at Didcot? Lots of GWR steamers there!
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    I visited it regularly with my Dad, when he was a Locomotive Driver (Steam Engines, then Diesels) on the GWR. In those days it was a Shed, not a Museum - "shed" being the term for Depot.

Every Steam Loco in the UK was "allocated" to a Shed, & carried a little black cast-iron plate with the Shed-Code on. Didcot was Shed Code 81E, being "under" Old Oak Common, which was 81A.

And PLEASE - "Steam Locomotives", not "steamers". I admire Steam Locomotives. I used to go out with a steamer.
  • edited September 2009

Oh my god I've died and gone to the Devil's realm, or is this just a bad dream?
    No no my wife says i'm definately awake, so kill me kill me NOW.

Ps Goathlands light railway - very nice

col

• edited September 2009
    Im living right by waterloo :) ... station is pretty standard though...
  • edited September 2009

Connection Times. Well, ive caught a connecting train that was due to leave 20 minutes before my first train arrived. That tells you all you need to know about the British railways...

I agree that the view of Durham on that GNER route is stunning.

• edited September 2009
    Im living right by waterloo :) ... station is pretty standard though...
    Posted by BlackFish3
    nothing standard at waterloo, the station has an unbelievable subterranean network that is out of this world, spent a few years working there on the eurostar project, prior to its launch,  and i was fortunate to be on many of the first trains to run the distance through the tunnel , what many think of as just another journey was a moment of wonder at the time.
  • edited September 2009
    but now its just a standard train station... sorry but i dont share your enthusiasm :(
  • edited September 2009
    My favourite colour of paint I like to watch dry is egg shell.

that is all
  • edited October 2009
    5Live ran an excellent programme a couple of years back about Original Trainspotters ..really was fascinating , no honestly it was

Great Central  between Loughborough & Quorn ..smashin  
  • edited October 2009
    5Live ran an excellent programme a couple of years back about Original Trainspotters ..really was fascinating , no honestly it was Great Central  between Loughborough & Quorn ..smashin  
    Posted by skip_x
    I`m a train driver and see my fair share of spotters.  Some of them bring little tents and stoves and stuff.  There is a hardcore group of them who hang out at warrington bank quay.  One of them is quite a large bloke who is a wheelchair user.  I pulled into the platform the other week, when there was the sound of a horn from a virgin pendolino going express through the station.  The guy in the wheelchair jumped up and RAN round to the platform it was shooting through with his camera to try to get a shot.  I couldnt believe it.

Anyway, if you want a nice train route, Wrexham-Bidston takes some beating.

Watch out for straw hats and banjos though, and DONT ask for 1st class, you will be laughed out of Royston Vasey, lolol