You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

whats your views on this hand??

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
GEMO Small blind  £0.20 £0.20 £13.08
foye29 Big blind  £0.40 £0.60 £7.77
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • A

DN34689 Fold     
Dons1983 Fold     
ChirpyChip Fold     
boogsboy Raise  £1.20 £1.80 £42.89
blackbeltb Call  £1.20 £3.00 £44.21
BURNShurtz Call  £1.20 £4.20 £74.56
GEMO Call  £1.00 £5.20 £12.08
foye29 Call  £0.80 £6.00 £6.97
Flop

• A

GEMO Check     
foye29 Check     
boogsboy Bet  £3.00 £9.00 £39.89
blackbeltb Fold     
BURNShurtz Call  £3.00 £12.00 £71.56
GEMO Fold     
foye29 Fold     
Turn

boogsboy Bet  £6.00 £18.00 £33.89
BURNShurtz Raise  £12.00 £30.00 £59.56
boogsboy All-in  £33.89 £63.89 £0.00
BURNShurtz Fold     
boogsboy Muck     
boogsboy Win  £34.20  £34.20
boogsboy Return  £27.89 £1.80 £62.09
the only thing i know is that he hasnt played a hand for a bit.
why did i not reraise pre?? well i did think about it but decided to flat as AK has cost me some money latley
his flop bet looked like a continuation bet so decided to just call that too with the intention of reraiseing on the turn then i just got in a pickle.
your thoughts on where i went wrong and how i should of played it thanks

Comments

• edited June 2011
    3bet pre
    flop fine considering you've played it slow pre.
    as played flat call turn.

min raise/fold is just comical.

only street I like is flop and thats cos he can keep value betting AQ/AJ
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: whats your views on this hand??:
    3bet pre flop fine considering you've played it slow pre. as played flat call turn. min raise/fold is just comical. only street I like is flop and thats cos he can keep value betting AQ/AJ
    Posted by scotty77
    why?
  • edited June 2011
    AKs on the bloody button and you don't 3bet, why !?

Flop I guess is ok but really should have raised pre then you win more.

Turn is bizarre to minraise showing strength then just fold, crazy. If you flat flop then have to flat turn also.

• edited June 2011
    I dont mind the flat pre, in some ways, as you keep in alot of weaker hands that'll pay you off on an A high flop.

But on the other hand it kind of gets you in abit of a mess as its clear you dont know where you are on the flop, I dont think many people would given that it goes 5way to flop then significant action.

So I dont hate the flat pre, but I 'm pretty sure I try to isolate abit and put in a solid £5.

But to flat to keep in the weaker hands then fold on the layered bets is a bit counter intuitive.  Are you folding to the perceived 10 (which is potentially likely with tiny flop lead + blast on turn - perhaps even a set of 3's)?

FWIW I either min bet turn (as you do) to get to showdown for free on river or go into check call mode, maybe check fold a huge river bet.  But the only real hands I'd be concerned by are the set of 3's or A 10pic combo.

Pretty sure he just calls the min turn bet with AQ, but who knows?
  • edited June 2011

FWIW I either min bet turn (as you do) to get to showdown for free on river or go into check call mode, maybe check fold a huge river bet.  But the only real hands I'd be concerned by are the set of 3's or A 10pic combo.

are in position why would we go into check call mode.

and the hands that are beating us are all thats beating us bar AA lol.

and fwiw the min raise/fold turn is lol because I'm assuming we min raise for value.  to then fold we mays well have had 8 high.  if you were gonna fold to a jam then why raise.  we are in position and can call and see a river and let him bet with worse.

also raising on that flop isn't bad cos its so dry so not many hands that can be beating us.  AT/A3 is unlikely as we have an A.  TT/33 are all that can really be ahead on the flop.
  • edited June 2011
    FWIW I either min bet turn (as you do) to get to showdown for free on river or go into check call mode, maybe check fold a huge river bet.  But the only real hands I'd be concerned by are the set of 3's or A 10pic combo. are in position why would we go into check call mode.Because he let 5 people see the flop. and the hands that are beating us are all thats beating us bar AA lol. and fwiw the min raise/fold turn is lol because I'm assuming we min raise for value. I personally am making it £10 on the flop for perceived value.  Minning the turn isnt my fav move there but assume he's doing it for info more than value, knowing he's let to many people see the flop, 10 potentially being a terrible card.  Can lose an extra £6 here, or face a blind call into a value bet of £15 - 18 on river  to then fold we mays well have had 8 high.  if you were gonna fold to a jam then why raise.  we are in position and can call and see a river and let him bet with worse Yes, this would most often be my line also, but after the semi- trappy way the hand is played I want to have a bit more information going to river, the min click provides this.  But is potentially iffy as opponent may be holding a strong A also, thinking your repping the 10, jams to exclude being bluffed off river. also raising on that flop isn't bad cos its so dry so not many hands that can be beating us.  AT/A3 is unlikely as we have an A.  TT/33 are all that can really be ahead on the flop.
    Posted by scotty77
    Like I said I dont mind the flat pre to crush a weaker A post on a A high board, nothing wrong with mixing it up.  But it does go pear shaped post because 5 handed its impossible to know where you are.  I'm definately raising flop to thin the field, extract value...and yes gain some info early.
  • edited June 2011
    Dunno how it being 5 handed changes things.  An A T 3 r is pretty dry.  The blinds both have short stacks and we don't care what they do (ideally get it in, lose and insta stand and let a 100bb stack sit FU shortstacks) and the other 2 guys have around 100bb.  I agree that if the flop was a lot more co-ordinated like A T 9 hh then we can proceed with caution as tonnnes more 2pr combos pluz massive draws.

If all 4 villains in hand were also 190bb deep then yh we have to proceed with caution but surely the reason for flatting with AK OTB is for a flop like A T 3 rainbow which is probably the best we can hope for other than an effective nut hand like top 2 or top trips etc.

Flatting or raising flop is both ok.  You've disgusied the strengh of your hand so you can either get value from AQ/AJ etc on the flop by riasing or we can flat and continue to get value from those hands and all our villains blufsf by just calling.

The big problem here is the turn. 

and

are in position why would we go into check call mode.Because he let 5 people see the flop

still don't know how we can go into check call mode when on the button lol
  • edited June 2011
    Check check mode then :p  But likely not, I'll likely value bet if checked to.  So to say it properly I call turn and river bets, not check call :)

Hadnt really noticed the 2 shorter stacks.

My issue with letting 5 see the flop is the increased range potential.  But I agree when hoping to catch the weaker A behind its about a good a flop as your going to get.

I do overanalyse things at times.  I have to wonder why Opponent leads flop small after opening pre then 3 bet jams turn.  It looks a lot like 3's full, more so than an AQ type hand, but you could both be holding the same hand.  The shove turn could be defensive though, or massively overplaying an inferior A.

Like I say, I def re raise flop if not 3 bet pre, not happy for that many people to go to turn in any instance.
  • edited June 2011
    3bet pre

I might raise flop, but calling is fine imo.

Dont like the turn raise, I think it overreps your hand, if you flat flop then flat turn as well. raise/fold turn is lolbad unless yu have some cast iron read he only raises better and calls with lots worse
  • edited June 2011
    +1 to 3betting pre, don't let garbage hands in for cheapz

flop, eh- as played you've underrepped your hand, so calling isn't super bad but I don't think your hand is anywhere near strong enough to slowplay- any card could hit his kicker, and if the board pairs and he gets super aggro you're hating your hand. 

When the 10 comes and he bets I would be very wary about him having a ten. Think carefully about why you are raising- you do NOT have the nuts, nowhere near. Any hand that gives you action now probably has you crushed. Flat, and try and get to the river cheap.

My instinct is you were ahead pre, ahead flop, went behind on turn.

What did you do? Flat pre, flat flop, raise turn.

Notice a problem there?
  • edited June 2011
    +1 to 3betting pre, don't let garbage hands in for cheapz flop, eh- as played you've underrepped your hand, so calling isn't super bad but I don't think your hand is anywhere near strong enough to slowplay- any card could hit his kicker, and if the board pairs and he gets super aggro you're hating your hand.  When the 10 comes and he bets I would be very wary about him having a ten. Think carefully about why you are raising- you do NOT have the nuts, nowhere near. Any hand that gives you action now probably has you crushed. Flat, and try and get to the river cheap. My instinct is you were ahead pre, ahead flop, went behind on turn. What did you do? Flat pre, flat flop, raise turn. Notice a problem there?
    Posted by DeucesLive
    we dont 3bet pre here to make people fold garbage

raising flop because he might hit a 5 outer is bad imo. Whether you raise or flat depends what range he continues with when you raise
  • edited June 2011
    We don't? What do we 3bet pre for then? I said don't let them in cheap, if they still want to come along when you're making them pay, excellent. If they fold, just as good. You don't want to go to the flop with AK 5 way, and you want anything that does come along to pay a price.

Raising flop to stop him hitting a 5 outer for free is what I'm talking about. If he wants to call with his J10, then sure- but don't let him do it for the minimum.

You can't stop people hitting their card, you can make them pay for it. Once a card comes down that smacks his range full in the face (people just love donking into multiway pots with 2nd/3rd pair) then shut down into pot control when he fires turn. You're either way ahead with top 2+top kicker, or way behind and drawing to a 2 outer. No need to essentially turn a solid hand into a bluff.
  • edited June 2011
    you ,mkreally think Tx is his likely hand when he cbets 5way? he can hve Tx but he is more likely to have Ax imo

you 3bet AK because worse will call, its not to make people fold garbage 

Raise flop is good if he continues with worse. But the point you make about turn applies to flop also, we are either way ahead or way behind. We can raise if he continues with enough worse hands, but the reason is again for value, not so we might stop him sucking out, when hes only about 10% at best to do so.  I think I like the flat, its a multiway pot and we keep the weaker part of his range in ip.

Raising turn might be ok too if we know he stacks off with Ax, but in general I prefer flatting
  • edited June 2011
    3bet pre is for value ,simples

flop raise is also for value if we do it, not to protect against 5 outers. Whether raising or flatting is better depends on  how other players play. There are lots of players I would fold AQ to if I was raised in a multiway pot on that board, I doubt most at 10NL  would, but we still have to consider do enough worse hands call, how often villain barrells turn etc
  • edited June 2011
    I know it's for value- but I wasn't arguing that!

There is a MASSIVE difference between saying you don't want callers, and you don't want callers for free. I love it if people call me pre with garbage- I DON'T like pricing them in to call with garbage. Hence, 3bet pre- you want worse to call obviously, but it's no biggie if they fold either. The mistake is letting them in for nothing. 

On the flop we are way ahead or way behind, I agree. However, far more of our range is crushing his because he has all sorts of random aces and tens. On the turn however, his range has just jumped up- and he's either way ahead with a house/trips, or we're way ahead with a better ace. His range seriously caught up though and we should be a LOT more careful how we proceed.

You're missing my point a lot I think, when I bet this flop for value it's not solely for value but a mixture of reasons, value being foremost but protecting your hand against cheap outdraws being second on the list. We're not so far ahead that there are no cards that scare us here on the turn, and giving our opponent cheap odds to hit that is a mistake. We want our opponent to be the one making the mistake by calling with incorrect odds.
  • edited June 2011
    Nice to see people bumping heads and it not being me for once :)
  • edited June 2011
    I know it's for value- but I wasn't arguing that! There is a MASSIVE difference between saying you don't want callers, and you don't want callers for free. I love it if people call me pre with garbage- I DON'T like pricing them in to call with garbage. Hence, 3bet pre- you want worse to call obviously, but it's no biggie if they fold either. The mistake is letting them in for nothing.  On the flop we are way ahead or way behind, I agree. However, far more of our range is crushing his because he has all sorts of random aces and tens. On the turn however, his range has just jumped up- and he's either way ahead with a house/trips, or we're way ahead with a better ace. His range seriously caught up though and we should be a LOT more careful how we proceed. You're missing my point a lot I think, when I bet this flop for value it's not solely for value but a mixture of reasons, value being foremost but protecting your hand against cheap outdraws being second on the list. We're not so far ahead that there are no cards that scare us here on the turn, and giving our opponent cheap odds to hit that is a mistake. We want our opponent to be the one making the mistake by calling with incorrect odds.
    Posted by DeucesLive
    I'm not missing your point, I just disagree with it. If hes calling your raise doesnt protect your hand anyway it just lets you have a better bad beat story when he hits. I prefer let him see a free card than make most hands we beat fold. You can argue for a raise in this hand on the flop, but whether its good depends on how many worse hands call and if we flat what hes likely to do on turn. A good player is prob mucking nearly all his one pair hands after cbetting 5way and getting raised unless there is a strange dynamic (this guy might be bad though)
  • edited June 2011
    right, put it this way- let's just assume he's bad first of all- most unknowns at 30NL+ are.

you 3bet pre, you raise him heavily on flop. This commits both of your stacks while you're fairly sure you have the best hand. This is good. You're not giving him FREE CARDS to draw out on you. This is what I mean by protecting your hand- if he goes on to suck out on you once you're both well and truly pot stuck, then that's life- deal with it. If, however, you give him a free ride to hit his outs, then start building the pot for him- that is totally backwards. We are raising for a mixture of value and hand protection- value foremost, protection second.

3betting pre- if someone has a garbage hand, they call or fold- either way, it's fine for you. You've done the correct thing by putting money in the middle, now they can either make a good decision and fold, or make a bad decision and call. Either way, you're getting money in ahead and not allowing CHEAP OUTDRAWS.

If you flop a set on a rainbow board, I'm all for slowplaying. If the board pairs- great! You got a house. If the turn brings a second flushing card- no big deal. If you get a straightening card, it's really unlikely he happens to be on a straight. But TPTK just ain't strong enough to slowplay, because too many cards can hit his range without you even realising it. Get the money in now and let him make a mistake, or you could end up losing all your value.

If he does have a weak hand, and you flat, do you really think you're getting much more action down the streets unless he improves (which will invariably improve too much)?  What about the times that a card comes down that now freezes his action (say he has AQ on the flop, and is quite possibly willing to go all the way- your flat on the flop may feel like you have a ten, and he now freezes up and goes into pot control).

The flop can go either way with flatting or raising, but I feel we have the best hand, weaker aces probably come along, and raising is the better option. But I REALLY think you have to raise pre for hand protection as well as value, because seriously- how much value does AK have 5way? How happy are you really? If the flop comes A74, how do you know no one's popped along with 74 in the BB thanks to it being so cheap pre? You bet to thin the field and hopefully get action from one or two players, surely you agree with this?
  • edited June 2011
    right, put it this way- let's just assume he's bad first of all- most unknowns at 30NL+ are. you 3bet pre, you raise him heavily on flop. This commits both of your stacks  while you're fairly sure you have the best hand . This is good.
     Not necessarily it depends how he reacts when you raise
    You're not giving him FREE CARDS to draw out on you. This is what I mean by protecting your hand- if he goes on to suck out on you once you're both well and truly pot stuck, then that's life- deal with it. If, however, you give him a free ride to hit his outs, then start building the pot for him- that is totally backwards. We are raising for a mixture of value and hand protection- value foremost, protection second.
     How does raising protect our hand if he calls? He still gets to see cards. It might protect us if he folds, but we dont want him to fold
    3betting pre- if someone has a garbage hand, they call or fold- either way, it's fine for you. You've done the correct thing by putting money in the middle, now they can either make a good decision and fold, or make a bad decision and call.

its not good when they make good decisions and fold worse hands. I 3bet pre all day fwiw

Either way, you're getting money in ahead and not allowing CHEAP OUTDRAWS. If you flop a set on a rainbow board, I'm all for slowplaying. If the board pairs- great! You got a house. If the turn brings a second flushing card- no big deal. If you get a straightening card, it's really unlikely he happens to be on a straight. But TPTK just ain't strong enough to slowplay, because too many cards can hit his range without you even realising it.
    Its pretty strong on this board, some cards hit him most dont. Its not about slowplaying its about getting value. Also if I got raised on any turn I give serious consideration to folding 

Get the money in now and let him make a mistake, or you could end up losing all your value. If he does have a weak hand, and you flat, do you really think you're getting much more action down the streets unless he improves (which will invariably improve too much)? 
    Well I cant see him continuing to a raise with many hands that dont barrell the turn.

What about the times that a card comes down that now freezes his action (say he has AQ on the flop, and is quite possibly willing to go all the way- your flat on the flop may feel like you have a ten, and he now freezes up and goes into pot control).

He cant control the pot much oop. We fire any turn he checks , and if he calls and checks river we fire river

The flop can go either way with flatting or raising, but I feel we have the best hand, weaker aces probably come along, and raising is the better option. But I REALLY think you have to raise pre for hand protection as well as value, because seriously- how much value does AK have 5way? How happy are you really? If the flop comes A74, how do you know no one's popped along with 74 in the BB thanks to it being so cheap pre? You bet to thin the field and hopefully get action from one or two players, surely you agree with this?

If you are not happy on this kind of flop why do you want to raise? 3bet pre is for value, I would like to also thin the field a bit as hands like 76 have good equity against us, but its not my reason for 3betting. If we go 5way to the flop we proceed differntly than hu but thats just about playing poker. By your reasoning do you 3bet KJ, AT, 77 etc here?
    Posted by DeucesLive
    fwiw I 3bet pre all day long, and I dont hate raising the flop but I think your reasoning is a little off
  • edited June 2011
    3 bet pre

as played pre

raise flop

shove turn
  • edited June 2011
    see, you ARE missing my point. This is primarily the preflop play, by the way.

You agree with raising pre, so that's fine. You agree that it's for value, that's fine too. But you ALSO agree that it's for thinning the field!! So why do you argue against that?

You seem to be suggesting when we bet, it's for a single reason only. That's not the case. We bet for a reason, and there are generally side effects of that bet which we want to be beneficial. AKs is a case in point- this is a value hand preflop, and we want to be HU or 3way at MAX, where top pair is a monster. Of course I don't 3bet KJ/AT/77, because I WANT to be multiway in these pots- I want to flop a monster, or a really solid draw at least before continuing. I don't want to thin the field with a marginal like KJ and be HU with a hand that calls a big 3bet pre- any hand that hits my hand that's less than 2 pair could easily have hit him harder. If the board comes K94 and I hold KJ, I'm not interested. If I hold AK, I am. 

However, if the board comes K94 and it's 5way with me having AK, how do I know someone hasn't limped in with K9 or 94? It's relatively unlikely they call a big 3bet pre with these hands, but the action pre means the blinds can have virtually anything with the odds they're being offered. Hence, the 3bet pre protects against these random hands, which we DO NOT WANT IN FOR FREE.

I swear you agree with this, so I don't understand the argument. On the flop, the play is much more questionable- it's not draw heavy, so there is now a case to be made for flatting- especially with so many players involved. But this all stems from not raising pre- I'm much happier to raise this and get it in on turn if I'm against 2 other players, max. I don't dislike the flat. I absolutely HATE the raise on turn after the way it's played out though.
  • edited June 2011
    I said that I would prefer to play against less than 5 players. That doesnt mean I agree. Also the hands already raised so blinds dont get in for free. We arent as happy stacking off with tptk 5 way, but there are lots of hands that give us a couple of streets of value, rag A etc.

What I disagree completely with is the stuff you are writing about protecting your hand against a guy binking 2 pair or trips. Its completely wrong imo. Answer the questions in my previous post, and I will see if we do agree
  • edited June 2011
    You prefer to play against less than 5... but you don't agree that raising pre is preferable both to get value and thin the field? You don't think it's to your benefit to offer hands like 76 bad odds to call, as opposed to the excellent implied odds they're getting?

As to your points- it depends on how he reacts when you raise. Absolutely it does. If he makes a good fold, wp to him- a lot of unknowns won't. How are you going to find out how he reacts when you raise if you don't do it? He's raised pre and led out into a multiway pot- he probably has something here, and your something probably beats it. Raising is a very valid play, but if you want to play smallball poker, so is flatting- as long as you take note of danger signal ala board pairing. If you take the pot control line on the flop, when you're strongest, you have to maintain that line IMO. As to the whole protection thing, my view is you make him pay to hit his card, or at least try to hit it. You shouldn't ever let him hit for free.

You say you can't see him continuing to a raise with many hands that don't barrel the turn- that's fair enough, you're probably right there. But he may be more likely to call when he has 2 cards to improve rather than just one.

He can't control the pot oop- not properly he can't, no. But he can try and get through to showdown cheap by going into c/c mode. Or, he may fold which is worse- we probably get his action on the flop, but a card comes down he doesn't like and he folds.

As to not being happy on this flop, I'm not happy with it 5way. Obviously I don't hate it, it's pretty dry and we probs have the best hand- but with random hands potentially in the blinds I'm not loving it so much. Cut it down to 1 or 2 opponents and I'm loving this flop, THAT'S why I raise. 
  • edited June 2011
    You prefer to play against less than 5... but you don't agree that raising pre is preferable both to get value and thin the field? You don't think it's to your benefit to offer hands like 76 bad odds to call, as opposed to the excellent implied odds they're getting?

Their implied odds arent that good, Im not going nuts 5 way with 1 pair hands and I can pot control some ip. My main concern would be what hands all villains are likely to continue with when I 3bet, especially the original raiser. Its harder playing the hand 5way, doesnt mean its less profitable to play it 5way. 

As to your points- it depends on how he reacts when you raise. Absolutely it does. If he makes a good fold, wp to him- a lot of unknowns won't. How are you going to find out how he reacts when you raise if you don't do it? He's raised pre and led out into a multiway pot- he probably has something here, and your something probably beats it. Raising is a very valid play, but if you want to play smallball poker, so is flatting- as long as you take note of danger signal ala board pairing. If you take the pot control line on the flop, when you're strongest, you have to maintain that line IMO. As to the whole protection thing, my view is you make him pay to hit his card, or at least try to hit it. You shouldn't ever let him hit for free.

I dont know how he reacts to a raise, but if hes semi competent you raising with 2 other live players in a 5 way pot looks crazy strong. I know I snapfold AJ in that spot, we are behind a range of AJ or better (I think, havent checked), Im certainly not assuming he calls with hands like A9, Tx. Any hand calls a raise will nearly always put more money in on turn, its not really about pot control (although Im not that crazy about going broke on flop) its more about trying to widen the range that puts more money in the pot. Making him pay to hit his card is fine, but not if it makes him fold hands that put in more money on turn. There are no scarecards on turn. I also dont think that T is that bad a card for us unless hes really bad

You say you can't see him continuing to a raise with many hands that don't barrel the turn- that's fair enough, you're probably right there. But he may be more likely to call when he has 2 cards to improve rather than just one. He can't control the pot oop- not properly he can't, no. But he can try and get through to showdown cheap by going into c/c mode. Or, he may fold which is worse- we probably get his action on the flop, but a card comes down he doesn't like and he folds. As to not being happy on this flop, I'm not happy with it 5way. So why raise then? Obviously I don't hate it, it's pretty dry and we probs have the best hand- but with random hands potentially in the blinds I'm not loving it so much. Cut it down to 1 or 2 opponents and I'm loving this flop, THAT'S why I raise. 
    Posted by DeucesLive
    Ok this is getting pedantic. I'll make 2 more points and leave it at that

1. Raising for protection makes no sense to me, especially on a board like this. You want a call so its a value raise, if he calls we havent protected anything

2. Just because we have the best hand doesnt automatically mean we should raise. More important factors are what range he continues with, how he reacts to certain cards coming down etc

Its hard say what is best in this hand readless. But I  think I like either calling down, or vbetting 3 streets. I also think being clear about why you take every action you take is important to improving your game. The amount of times I do stuff like cbet  without thinking and go wtf did I do that for on that board
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: whats your views on this hand?? : Ok this is getting pedantic. I'll make 2 more points and leave it at that 1. Raising for protection makes no sense to me, especially on a board like this. You want a call so its a value raise, if he calls we havent protected anything 2. Just because we have the best hand doesnt automatically mean we should raise. More important factors are what range he continues with, how he reacts to certain cards coming down etc Its hard say what is best in this hand readless. But I  think I like either calling down, or vbetting 3 streets. I also think being clear about why you take every action you take is important to improving your game. The amount of times I do stuff like cbet  without thinking and go wtf did I do that for on that board
    Posted by grantorino
    You guys need to agree to disagree

You want players in the hand with inferior holdings if you call or raise
    You should not play in fear of someone outdrawing you
    You should try and thin the field by raising not because your scared of the outdraw but it thins the range they are calling with
    Plus if you take any hand 5 way the odds are against you so you should raise to better your odds of winning by infact thinning the field. For example if you have AA you do not want to play this versus 4 do you.

• edited June 2011
    lol yea, I think we'll just agree to disagree here- going nowhere fast. 

Hopefully we can agree that whatever line you choose to take, you stick to it- i.e once you decide you're calling down, you don't suddenly raise at any point unless your hand improves? When the board pairs on turn, the only thought in your head should be calling down cheap.

Out of interest, since you should be thinking ahead- if you flat the turn, and he then donk shoves a bricky river, what do you do? I assume a reasonable value bet would be called as played.
  • edited June 2011
    lol yea, I think we'll just agree to disagree here- going nowhere fast.  Hopefully we can agree that whatever line you choose to take, you stick to it- i.e once you decide you're calling down, you don't suddenly raise at any point unless your hand improves? When the board pairs on turn, the only thought in your head should be calling down cheap. Out of interest, since you should be thinking ahead- if you flat the turn, and he then donk shoves a bricky river, what do you do? I assume a reasonable value bet would be called as played.
    Posted by DeucesLive
    Face it unless you can put the guy on a ten and fold to a shove then hey ho your stacking.
    At best if you say o yes 100% a 10 then maybe you can just call down cheaply.
    You know most of the time the guy gonna turn over Ax so you just stack

Maybe the guy has bet his ten and now because you have not raised him he has outdrawn you, and now you have to be good enough to lay down as you decided to play your hand this way.
    Looking at the flat pre aswell that has just decreased your percentage of winning the hand so good luck I feel as you are putting yourself in a dificult spot when this villian gets aggro with his 10 or Ax.
    You fold he shows Ax lol, start hitting yourself with a large brick.

Think by raising pre they will come along with Ax anyway so all is good
    By raising flop the Ax will come along aswell

So it's value, value value and shove turn and he will not be good enough to fold Ax

• edited June 2011
    One more time, every decision I would make as this hand played out would be how to maximise value, I think we have best hand often on all streets

Raising may be best on all streets, I think there is certainly an argument for flatting flop and turn. I dont think the fact you flat flop means you cant raise turn, although if I was raising I prefer doing it on flop because you usually get called lighter, and the T maybe a scarecard for him. Raising at any point without being committed to stacking off v villain is total spew imo 

Rancid, if the asumption he never folds Ax to a raise is true, raising everywhere is fine. Im not so sure its true though, and I think we can get as much value by flatting ip postflop, especially as if he checks we dont miss a street of value. Also as regards not putting ourselves in difficult spots I always kinda hate that argument, like the easiest way to play the hand is fold or shove pre, but I'm pretty certain its not the optimum way
  • edited June 2011
     Also as regards not putting ourselves in difficult spots I always kinda hate that argument, like the easiest way to play the hand is fold or shove pre, but I'm pretty certain its not the optimum way
    Posted by grantorino
    I have had this convo with lots players regarding getting yourself into difficult spots, is this good or bad.
    I belive you should find yourself in better spots with easy decisions is optimum. To put yourself in a spot because of the way you played the hand and now you ain't got a clue what they holding then frankly I think it's bad poker. To put yourself in a spot where you have to keep making these tough calls can be the differance between good and great players and also between winning small or big pots.

I just can not see an aurgument to flatting here while you hold TPTK.
    Your only hoping that someone does your betting for you. If someone has TPGK then either way you play they are either going to come along or fold so why not stretch the value you get from them rarther than give them a chance to get away. While I can also see it's sometimes very profitbale to check TPTK doing the same in position just feels a bit odd unless you know this guy is going to keep betting. It's like flopping trips and a guy leads out, a raise looks more like you have not got it than just a flat. Guy shuts down on the turn and you loose value. If you raise then he will come along and you get more value.

it's an intresting thought process.