You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What do i have to do to get a bluff through

edited June 2011 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
conor1983 Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £12.37
butt55y Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £6.23
yuranASSet Sit out        
  Your hole cards

IceCool884 Fold        
iBLUFF Raise   £0.40 £0.55 £10.10
TheMonk82 Call   £0.40 £0.95 £12.63
conor1983 Call   £0.35 £1.30 £12.02
butt55y Fold        
Flop

• Q
  • A

conor1983 Bet   £0.65 £1.95 £11.37
iBLUFF Raise   £1.41 £3.36 £8.69
TheMonk82 Fold        
conor1983 Call   £0.76 £4.12 £10.61
Turn

conor1983 Check        
iBLUFF Bet   £2.00 £6.12 £6.69
conor1983 Call   £2.00 £8.12 £8.61
River

conor1983 Check        
iBLUFF All-in   £6.69 £14.81 £0.00
conor1983 Call   £6.69 £21.50 £1.92
conor1983 Show
  • J
  • Q

iBLUFF Show

conor1983 Win Pair of Queens £20.10   £22.02

Comments

• edited June 2011
    He said my bets were too big for me to have a A? how do you think i played it?
  • edited June 2011
  • edited June 2011
    Bluff someone who can fold!!

• edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: What do i have to do to get a bluff through:
    Fold preflop
    Posted by MrWh1te

I like suited gap connecters they can flop well, but honestly the way he was playing it i put him on flush draw.
  • edited June 2011
    Bluff someone who can fold!!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

JJ, if i knew he wouldnt fold i wouldnt of tried it;), only been at table for about 5-10mins before this happend so had no reads
  • edited June 2011
    Fair play for having a go on every street. I think I would have given up on the river or maybe even on the turn.

You're name might not help when you're bluffing either : )
  • edited June 2011
    I think the gap is just too big, if it was one card maybe you could provide an argument but you can get in all sorts of trouble with either end of a straight or a weak flush.

However, back to the question, you have to think what kind of an opponant you are against.

Is he strong?  Too strong that he can read what you are doing?
    Or he is he weak?  So weak he can't lay any kind of hand down.  Or on tilt?  Or any other reason for him not believing you.

Personally if I was him I would be getting out of the way on the flop to your reraise but then I am a nit.

I may be wrong but it appears to me you have given little thought to your oppo when playing this bluff.  Bluffing is all about the oppo.

of course I could be wrong.  It could be, especially with your post count, that you are a good player who just posted here out of a little bit of frustration and I am actually just teaching you to suck eggs as it were, in which case ignore me ;p
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: What do i have to do to get a bluff through : JJ, if i knew he wouldnt fold i wouldnt of tried it;), only been at table for about 5-10mins before this happend so had no reads
    Posted by iBLUFF
    Lol yeh this is kinda my point, don't just make random moves, for a multi - street bluff to work, you gotta have alot going in your favour.

The main thing being that the oppo is capable of folding marginal hands.....

Ofc if you just randomly go for it occasionally it will work, but you'll lose money overall because of the times it doesn't!
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: What do i have to do to get a bluff through : Lol yeh this is kinda my point, don't just make random moves, for a multi - street bluff to work, you gotta have alot going in your favour. The main thing being that the oppo is capable of folding marginal hands..... Ofc if you just randomly go for it occasionally it will work, but you'll lose money overall because of the times it doesn't!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

Thanks jj, so what your saying is that if you are going to bluff like this you need to find out what type of oppo your vs?
  • edited June 2011
    I dont mind taking 85d to the flop, my kind of cash game hand.

Some people build their game around great bluffs and moves, when spots are picked well  - fair enough.

Once he calls you on the turn your only getting a busted flush to fold river.  Your river jam means you have a massive hand or no hand really.  Your not betting for value @ more than 2/3rds pot and he's perhaps good enough to realise this + you check back ALOT of hands on river strong.
  • edited June 2011
    Yes, you assess your opponent, and then decide if it's a good idea to bluff.

Don't decide you want to bluff, then look for an opponent to do it against.....

For example it's pointless bluffing me, because I don't have a fold button.

But someone like Hoggers it might be a good idea to put pressure on in some situations, as long as your line in the hand makes sense.

• edited June 2011
    Yes, you assess your opponent, and then decide if it's a good idea to bluff. Don't decide you want to bluff, then look for an opponent to do it against..... For example it's pointless bluffing me, because I don't have a fold button. But someone like Hoggers it might be a good idea to put pressure on in some situations, as long as your line in the hand makes sense.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

you aswell i thought it was just me.
  • edited June 2011
    He said my bets were too big for me to have a A? how do you think i played it?
    Posted by iBLUFF
    For me this is great information. This is the sort of thing you should make a note on for this oppo cos next time if you have a big hand you should be able to get paid more easily imo.

With regards to the actual hand, personally I just fold pre. I happy to play one gappers but for me 85 is just too far apart. On the plus side at least you came in with a raise. As played I give up on the turn personally unless like JJ says, you know this oppo will fold marginal hands.
  • edited June 2011
    you cant bluff people off aces so bluffing ace hi flops isnt great. The turn card isnt a good card to continue bluffing really, neither is the river. If you want to get bluffs through find better spots to do it.
  • edited June 2011
    Just reload and keep playing him till he runs out of money or you fall asleep.
  • edited June 2011
    pre is fine
    i know with your turn bet you're trying to make sure you have enough behind to ensure you have fold equity for the river shove, but it doesn't really make sense, you're playing it really strong pre and on the flop, then you bet less than half the pot on the turn, like i said i know your reasoning but it doesn't add up and i guess he might have noticed that.
    and tbh, i don't know if you have any reads on the oppo or not, but i wouldn't go this far with a bluff at this level, but you have to hold your hands up, nice call from opponent, must have had you on flush draw. 
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to What do i have to do to get a bluff through:

Not read thread but I'm guessing changing your name might help? ;-)
  • edited June 2011
    dont bluff unknowns at 10NL

fold pre

fold flop, its a bad flop to bluff

give up on turn and river, they are bad cards to continue on
  • edited June 2011
    dont bluff unknowns at 10NL fold pre fold flop, its a bad flop to bluff give up on turn and river, they are bad cards to continue on
    Posted by grantorino

How is flop a bad flop to bluff? i raised pre so a A is easily in my range here.
  • edited June 2011
    what his range? what part of it donks then folds?. Do you know he thinks about your range?
  • edited June 2011
    what his range? what part of it donks then folds?. Do you know he thinks about your range?
    Posted by grantorino

Fair enough as i said in previous post i put him on flush draw, but even with second pair i cant get people to fold, need to change my name i think ;P
  • edited June 2011
    just dont bluff anyone at 10NL until you know they are capable of folding hands like the one above.
  • edited June 2011
    Fair play for having a go on every street. I think I would have given up on the river or maybe even on the turn. You're name might not help when you're bluffing either : )
    Posted by AcidMan27
    +1
    Trying to bluff a station with a name like iBluff is not an ideal spot :D

Once he calls he once he ain't going anywhere :D
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: What do i have to do to get a bluff through : +1 Trying to bluff a station with a name like iBluff is not an ideal spot :D Once he calls he once he ain't going anywhere :D
    Posted by rancid

Ahaha you would not belive the amount of people who make fishie calls vs me and say "your name gave it away" lol.
  • edited June 2011
    dont bluff cos ur name derrrrrrrrrr, especially vs randoms!
  • edited June 2011
    dont bluff a station. laughable how he says ur bets are too big. IMO ur bets are too small. lol.

Tbh ABC poker at this level. Dont bluff with your name. Against a decent player they might take the normal reverse psycolygy into it but to a random fish "iBLUFF" they think, oh hes bluffing, i have a pair LETS GET PAID.
  • edited June 2011
    also u play far too agressive to get bluffs through fwiw, also i think your bets are too small
  • edited June 2011
    dont bluff a station. laughable how he says ur bets are too big. IMO ur bets are too small. lol. Tbh ABC poker at this level. Dont bluff with your name. Against a decent player they might take the normal reverse psycolygy into it but to a random fish "iBLUFF" they think, oh hes bluffing, i have a pair LETS GET PAID.
    Posted by The_Don90

Yes, its a bit of reverse psycolygy as with my name they will think, well he obv plays tight so i play loose  if that makes any sence lol.
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: What do i have to do to get a bluff through : Yes, its a bit of reverse psycolygy as with my name they will think, well he obv plays tight so i play loose  if that makes any sence lol.
    Posted by iBLUFF
    to your average joe they think hes loose and your plpaying loose. lol.
  • edited June 2011
    give up on flop once called and especially with the 2 cards that come down. obvisouly blufifn is bad these levels and you dont have to run crazy bluffs at theses stakes to win.. jus play more TAGish and value bet strong hands..
    ppl dont fold enough for u to be makin these plays..
    goin back to the hand if u do decided to run a multi street bluff then its gotta be believable to ur opponent. wen u jus keep hittin the bet button on a board  like this ppl who cant fold any peice will think ur bluffin cos ur reppin such a narrow range and it came brick brick.. boards u want to be settin up a bluff on are boards where 'scare' cards or good barrel cards come..

for example you have to think about good cards for ur range which are bad for villans range.. and if u can rep these belivably then they might fold.. 

.. best off folding flop tho.!!