You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

moving up the levels

edited June 2011 in Area 51
i have been playing on the site for a year but normally play stt and now started playing cash at 2p/4p i have 30 quid in my account as everytime i have more than 40 i reduce it straight back to 30 as as soon as i get a bit of money in the account bad beats start to happen every hand. Well my first 4 days i played about an hour and a half a day and was 15 quid up but today i lost 15 quid in an hour because awful players were calling me all in pre with 3,5 and 3,4 when i had aces and hitting full houses on the flop, typical sky to be honest but should i be moving up the levels to try and get away from these players (as poor players seem to get all the luck in the world against me and the half decent player who dont go all in pre with 3,4 i can outplay during a hand) or should i try and take advantage until i feel comfortable going up but then leaving myself open to these constant bad beats that make me want to leave the site?

Comments

• edited June 2011
    In Response to moving up the levels:
    i have been playing on the site for a year but normally play stt and now started playing cash at 2p/4p i have 30 quid in my account as everytime i have more than 40 i reduce it straight back to 30 as as soon as i get a bit of money in the account bad beats start to happen every hand. Well my first 4 days i played about an hour and a half a day and was 15 quid up but today i lost 15 quid in an hour because awful players were calling me all in pre with 3,5 and 3,4 when i had aces and hitting full houses on the flop, typical sky to be honest but should i be moving up the levels to try and get away from these players (as poor players seem to get all the luck in the world against me and the half decent player who dont go all in pre with 3,4 i can outplay during a hand) or should i try and take advantage until i feel comfortable going up but then leaving myself open to these constant bad beats that make me want to leave the site?
    Posted by Leyster
    I'd def move up if I were you!
    There's wayy more fishes up there!
    Pad
  • edited June 2011
    Hi

Firstly, there is no 'typical sky when you get a bit of cash in your account'.  Break that thinking straight away because it will no doubt impact on your thinking and play.

Now, as for moving up, in my opinion, (unless you have enough money offline to reload), you should never use more than 5% of your BR, so that would answer your question.

I cannot stress more, if you can't beat the 2//4p level then you won't beat higher levels.  You WANT people calling you all in with 35 preflop and if that is happening and you aren't beating the game, then sorry but you won't win higher up.

Your action for me:
    Don't withdraw, leave the money in and see how well you can build it. 
    If it gets to £200 then move to 4/8p.    When it gets to £250 then move to 5/10p etc etc.  If you lose, move back down the stakes

It is the only way to move up safely without busting
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: moving up the levels:
    Hi Firstly, there is no 'typical sky when you get a bit of cash in your account'.  Break that thinking straight away because it will no doubt impact on your thinking and play. Now, as for moving up, in my opinion, (unless you have enough money offline to reload), you should never use more than 5% of your BR, so that would answer your question. I cannot stress more, if you can't beat the 2//4p level then you won't beat higher levels.  You WANT people calling you all in with 35 preflop and if that is happening and you aren't beating the game, then sorry but you won't win higher up. Your action for me: Don't withdraw, leave the money in and see how well you can build it.  If it gets to £200 then move to 4/8p.    When it gets to £250 then move to 5/10p etc etc.  If you lose, move back down the stakes It is the only way to move up safely without busting
    Posted by MrWh1te
    So your saying going all in pre with aces and losing to 3,4 etc is somehow my fault? surely no one is that thick but yeah i have taken off a good £1,500 from stt so i have enough from poker but when i did let it grow up to about 150 i went on a 25 game losing streak losing with aces and kings etc i dont think its like typical sky but i think they try to even it out to keep the poor players interested
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: moving up the levels : So your saying going all in pre with aces and losing to 3,4 etc is somehow my fault? surely no one is that thick but yeah i have taken off a good £1,500 from stt so i have enough from poker but when i did let it grow up to about 150 i went on a 25 game losing streak losing with aces and kings etc i dont think its like typical sky but i think they try to even it out to keep the poor players interested
    Posted by Leyster
    I like how you've disguised an "it's rigged post" by trying to make it look like you're asking for advice.

I think you should have more confidence in your own ability and leave enough in your account to play 15p/30p

The highlighted claim about your stt profit is a lie btw.
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: moving up the levels : So your saying going all in pre with aces and losing to 3,4 etc is somehow my fault? surely no one is that thick but yeah i have taken off a good £1,500 from stt so i have enough from poker but when i did let it grow up to about 150 i went on a 25 game losing streak losing with aces and kings etc i dont think its like typical sky but i think they try to even it out to keep the poor players interested
    Posted by Leyster
    No I am saying that AA v 3,4 etc is what you want, you will win far more than you lose.

Doohhhhh is right though, I took the time to write a thought out reply and you aren't interested.  This will get moved to area 51 as soon as a mod sees it.
  • edited June 2011
    You want people calling your all ins when holding aces.

Over time you will win more hands and more money than those who get lucky every now and then.

The standard of play at 4p/8p isn't any different to that at 2p/4p tbh, except you can raise a little less.

5p/10p is a tiny bit better, you can raise 3x pre flop and people will fold or you thin the field out nicely.

To say it's easier to make money the higher up the levels you go is laughable tbh. If my level of tables aren't busy then i'll open up some 2p/4p tables and it feels great to be able to get people calling your flush draws when they're holding bottom pair and no kicker.

• edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: moving up the levels : I like how you've disguised an "it's rigged post" by trying to make it look like you're asking for advice. I think you should have more confidence in your own ability and leave enough in your account to play 15p/30p The highlighted claim about your stt profit is a lie btw.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    LOL Sharkscope geek
  • edited June 2011

borrow as much as you possibly can from the bank, placing your house as security if necssary

Start playing the biggerst games online against durrr, Ivey, antonius etc. These are not fish so you can outplay them ,make loads of moniez, be a balla etc

Disclaimer: Not any of the advice in this post is good

• edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: moving up the levels : I like how you've disguised an "it's rigged post" by trying to make it look like you're asking for advice. I think you should have more confidence in your own ability and leave enough in your account to play 15p/30p The highlighted claim about your stt profit is a lie btw.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    sorry i have won some from mtt and on that team sky poker freeroll that happens every 3 months, and yeah it was a bit of a moan but i was asking for people opinions as well, i am confident in my play i just dont like losing the money and it seems that when i have a bad night like last night it takes me 7 days at the same level to win the money back which at a higher level may put me off playing altogether as although i want to go further i dont like the risk of losing anything more than 20 quid a night unless i was at some points winning 20 quid a night if that makes sense
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: moving up the levels : No I am saying that AA v 3,4 etc is what you want, you will win far more than you lose. Doohhhhh is right though, I took the time to write a thought out reply and you aren't interested.  This will get moved to area 51 as soon as a mod sees it.
    Posted by MrWh1te
    you said i wasnt beating the game as if i was doing something wrong but getting all of my money in pre with aces and still losing, i am very interested in your reply although i believe in bankroll though it never made any difference to me when playing stt, is it more of an issue in cash or the same as i like sticking to the 30 quid thing as this means if i have a bad day i can get away with losing 30 quid and then reload tm rather than losing 100 quid and then not wanting to play poker ever again
  • edited June 2011
    borrow as much as you possibly can from the bank, placing your house as security if necssary Start playing the biggerst games online against durrr, Ivey, antonius etc. These are not fish so you can outplay them ,make loads of moniez, be a balla etc Disclaimer: Not any of the advice in this post is good
    Posted by grantorino
    im 19 lol so no house, and i am not saying i can outplay everyone but the one time i came up against dantb10 etc who are supposed to be the big times i held my own in the double stack and finished 8th he just raised every hand someone would go all in and he would fold every hand until he was out same with browndog who i actually warned he was getting himself in trouble and the next hand boom he was gone
  • edited June 2011
    LOL hey you can come and hold your own against me any time
  • edited June 2011

well if you are better than dan and browndog u will be fine. I think you are being a little unfair to their play though

• edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: moving up the levels : you said i wasnt beating the game as if i was doing something wrong but getting all of my money in pre with aces and still losing, i am very interested in your reply although i believe in bankroll though it never made any difference to me when playing stt, is it more of an issue in cash or the same as i like sticking to the 30 quid thing as this means if i have a bad day i can get away with losing 30 quid and then reload tm rather than losing 100 quid and then not wanting to play poker ever again
    Posted by Leyster
    You are too hung up about AA.  Fact is, with AA a weak player will either win a small pot or lose a big one.
    Poker is a long term game.    It isn't about how you do in one or two hands, but how you do over a week or a month or a year. 

BR I believe is just as important in STT as cash.  Maybe you just didn't get ul and hit that losing streak that EVERYONE goes through at some point yet.  Maybe you are a better STT player than cash? 
    I used to be a decent STT player.  Then I moved to cash. My STT game is awful now.  Funnily enough I make my profit from MTT's now. 
    The games are vastly different.

BR is the same, if you decide you only can afford to lose 30 quid, then stop after going 30 down.  If you play till you have lost more than you are prepared, then you aren't managing your BR and that is the same in both STT and cash
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: moving up the levels : You are too hung up about AA.  Fact is, with AA a weak player will either win a small pot or lose a big one. Posted by MrWh1te
    Not a fact, especially if he gets all in pre
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: moving up the levels : Not a fact, especially if he gets all in pre
    Posted by grantorino
    ok so maybe my wording is slightly wrong.

But, weak players will 'often' win a small pot or lose a big one.

And how often will weak players get it all in pre anyway?
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: moving up the levels : You are too hung up about AA.  Fact is, with AA a weak player will either win a small pot or lose a big one. Poker is a long term game.    It isn't about how you do in one or two hands, but how you do over a week or a month or a year.  BR I believe is just as important in STT as cash.  Maybe you just didn't get ul and hit that losing streak that EVERYONE goes through at some point yet.  Maybe you are a better STT player than cash?  I used to be a decent STT player.  Then I moved to cash. My STT game is awful now.  Funnily enough I make my profit from MTT's now.  The games are vastly different. BR is the same, if you decide you only can afford to lose 30 quid, then stop after going 30 down.  If you play till you have lost more than you are prepared, then you aren't managing your BR and that is the same in both STT and cash
    Posted by MrWh1te

Are you sure about that?

(From what I can see your mtt losses are 3 times greater than your stt losses)
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: moving up the levels : You could try my other alias (it got changed previously by customer services due to abuse).  Or any of the other sites I use.  You may even note that I went through a terrible period a while back but that my record lately is pretty good, for instance 2 days ago on this site I played 4, made 3 FT's and the ither game was a freeroll in which I came 10th. Or you could simply read any of the many other threads, about sharkscope, where things have been previously explained. I may not be the greatest player but I turn a decent profit and at least am trying to give advice, whereas you have contributed nothing.  Weren't you complaining about that on another thread yesterday?
    Posted by MrWh1te

I only asked if you were sure as your scope doesn't show any profit at all. 

I turn a very good profit but try to avoid giving advice in public. I leave that to others who feel they are qualified to do that - I'm not. My contribution is merely to point out to the player you are 'advising' that he is already far more profitable than the guy giving the advice. I don't think you can blame Sharkscope - not for all 384 games played. 

As I don't know your previous alias it's difficult to do you justice.

• edited June 2011
    Indeed it is difficult to do me justice because you don't know.  The same as the guys you berated on the other thread for not knowing if the guy who had made a personal attack on Tikay if he had a learning difficulty.  That is the thing about making opinions.

It is a public thread and the guy asked for advice.  I have given it.  Poker is about opinions.  Now, a lot of people will say the way I play the game doesnt maximise my profits.  I will be the first to agree.  But I have found a way to play that suits my game.  I did that by listening to opinions and seeing what worked for me.  

I refrained from scoping the OP.  That is because profit doesn't come into it.  He asked for advice on a certain aspect of his game and I have given my honest answer based on the information provided.

You have wound me right up tbh and I will tell you why.
    You haven't said anything against the advice.  You made an inflammatory comment on purpose.  That was no use at all to the OP and has done nothing to aid him.
    If you had said, however, I don't agree with this comment because.... then we could debate it and that would be useful to the OP.

In short sir, you are a hypocrite.  At least I tried to be useful
  • edited June 2011
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

He's actually won more than that - about $2,000 in total - which is what I think he means. He's won $2,000 but the cost has been $1.500 leaving a profit of approx. $500.

• edited June 2011
    Indeed it is difficult to do me justice because you don't know.  The same as the guys you berated on the other thread for not knowing if the guy who had made a personal attack on Tikay if he had a learning difficulty.  That is the thing about making opinions. It is a public thread and the guy asked for advice.  I have given it.  Poker is about opinions.  Now, a lot of people will say the way I play the game doesnt maximise my profits.  I will be the first to agree.  But I have found a way to play that suits my game.  I did that by listening to opinions and seeing what worked for me.   I refrained from scoping the OP.  That is because profit doesn't come into it.  He asked for advice on a certain aspect of his game and I have given my honest answer based on the information provided. You have wound me right up tbh and I will tell you why. You haven't said anything against the advice.  You made an inflammatory comment on purpose.  That was no use at all to the OP and has done nothing to aid him. If you had said, however, I don't agree with this comment because.... then we could debate it and that would be useful to the OP. In short sir, you are a hypocrite.  At least I tried to be useful
    Posted by MrWh1te

You made a statement that you are profitable - you are not - cut the Bull. Don't have a go at me because you made a false statement and got caught out. There is more advice given out by guys like you who like to think they make a profit when they don't. Cut the Bull and give your other alias that is so profitable. 

Otherwise live with the fact that you told a porky.

• edited June 2011
    ok well i dont know why I am bothering to indulge you, but I will My previous alias on here was Forest00 On 888 currently it is MrWh1te00  ON FT Forest00 You will also find me under the 888 and most other sites as Forest00 or Forest657 or Forest001 among other names.  You will see they are all showing at least $500 profit each. Infact back in the day when I played pacific, Sky under this alias is the only name that I am not in profit and that is the reason I am here, and you will see after my luck I am now on a grinding upwards scale.  I am here for the pride.  That is all
    Posted by MrWh1te
    Yes, I can see you do show a small profit on those. You could have explained that without the aggression. After all I only asked if you were sure :o

• edited June 2011
    You may have said that but the only way that could have been taken was you calling me a liar. You did the same in the post above '  You made a statement that you are profitable - you are not - cut the Bull. Don't have a go at me because you made a false statement and got caught out'. You did so without any background on me, something you accused others of on another thread. Truth of the matter is, I have made well over 25k from a combination of poker and blackjack who ring.  The only time I show a loss is that period on scope that you decided to quote.  A period of my life in which I nearly died and have fought back against the odds. Now I am a successful infant school teacher, a decent guy and I have the right to post an opinion when asked without fear of someone having a dig. 
    Posted by MrWh1te

Because that's the name you were writing under, that's the name I scoped. SIMPLES! 

I can see why you had to have a name change LOL

• edited June 2011
    borrow as much as you possibly can from the bank, placing your house as security if necssary Start playing the biggerst games online against durrr, Ivey, antonius etc. These are not fish so you can outplay them ,make loads of moniez, be a balla etc Disclaimer: Not any of the advice in this post is good
    Posted by grantorino
    this would be possible if durrr, ivey etc were able to play online lol antonius rarely plays (maybe 7 out of 30 days) Gus Hansen is a big fish so you might make money out of him lol but he tends to hit everything like big fish do haha