You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

football manager thread

edited June 2011 in The Shed
as requested by sky dave ive decided to open this thread.

My knowledge of the game is pretty good, any times im not playing poker im usually on it. However i rarley play outside scotland, which means im pretty niffty at finding cheap and up and comming talent however i do also know of bigger name signings.

Any questions i will answer and tactics i will offer.

Also feel welcome to debate with eachother.

P.S i have some saved games on youtube aswell.

Comments

• edited June 2011

It's nowhere near as good as the Champ Man that had the red box.

Anastasios Skalidis and Angelos Charistais ftw.

• edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: football manager thread:
    It's nowhere near as good as the Champ Man that had the red box. Anastasios Skalidis and Angelos Charistais ftw.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Football manager is just champ man, Sigames who made the game and Edios who published it fell out. SIgames got to keep the game rgihts but Edios kept the name. SI then joined with sega and named it football manager.

Although i suspect your talking about CM01/02 which many do regard as the best game ever released. Although it was 03/04 before i really got into the game.
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: football manager thread : Football manager is just champ man, Sigames who made the game and Edios who published it fell out. SIgames got to keep the game rgihts but Edios kept the name. SI then joined with sega and named it football manager. Although i suspect your talking about CM01/02 which many do regard as the best game ever released. Although it was 03/04 before i really got into the game.
    Posted by The_Don90
    CM 97/98 was the best ever imo.

Sadly don't have much time to play any manager games anymore. Only pokerz now!
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: football manager thread : CM 97/98 was the best ever imo. Sadly don't have much time to play any manager games anymore. Only pokerz now!
    Posted by splashies
    yea late 90s and early 00s where the golden years for Management games. Since 05 tho the only game on the market really has been Football Manager. CM no longer competes, FIFA Manager is just one big Epic fail, and that means that Football manager doesnt have the pressure to improve. I know from speaking to the designers of the game their always striving to improve it as their all football guys.

The 3D match engine certainly has added alot to the game although it still has flaws. Agents came in this year and its almost fun negotiating with players now.

Dont get much time myself but as a tournament player theirs always a couple of hours when you donk out of one before the next one in your BR starts.
  • edited June 2011
    When I do get a spare evening, I like to load up a bit of FM2011. Have bought every version of the game that existed, starting off on the Amiga. Good times.

Currently playing two games; network game as a friend (he's Southampton, I am Sheff Wednesday) and my individual game, where I am Accrington Stanley. Who are they? Exactly.

Any advice on affordable players for Accrington in particular appreciated. Was pleasantly surprised to find Sheff Weds had £1m at the start of the season, so not had so many problems getting decent players in...
  • edited June 2011
    IS FM2011 any different than 2010 - is it worth spending £25 for the difference??
  • edited June 2011
    POSTED BY PAIGE55 I WANT TO LAY YOU DOWN ON A BED OF ROSES MY DOHHHHHHH XXXXX.WELL YOU DID SEND ME AN EMAIL,ABOUT MY 40DD.:(:(:):):):):).STILL LOVE YOU AFTER ALL THESE YEARSXXXXXX.I NO I CAN PLAY WITH YOU,AND HAVE A JOKE:):):)) ALL IN GOOD FUN MY MATE:):):).LUV PAIGE XXX
    Posted by hunter1967
    So what you're saying is that you prefer to play with two big boys up top.

Maybe when you're chasing a game you could think about shoving a little man between those two big boys.

:P

• edited June 2011
    what has that hunter1967 been up to. i will be sorting him out when he gets home
  • edited June 2011
    Three big T/its on this thread.

Paige Left.

Paige Right.

And Don.
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: football manager thread : So what you're saying is that you prefer to play with two big boys up top. Maybe when you're chasing a game you could think about shoving a little man between those two big boys. :P  
    Posted by splashies
    I loved FM2010 was createing databases for people to make a lil bit of spare change. Was great the editor in 11 is pratiaclly the same but everything seems to be harder and takes twice as long so annoying.

However the actual in game is great. IIRC steam is selling it for £15 at the mo and since its a download client which SI game support you dont need a disk to play as long as steam is saved on the pc. Ive had so much more fun on FM11 and the finacial market seems to be sorted. With the agents comming in aswell signing new players seems to be so much better and realistic, although i currently have a Brazilian international striker playing in Scotland. Although he was still in Brazil and out of contract so made for an easy swoop for a quick season profit of hopefully £25M.

Dave in regards, i dont play the lower English leagues often. Infact i did on FM10 for a steam achievement and when i completed it i had no internets so didnt even get it :@. Izzy Irikpen (spelling) was heart of my defence from Conferance North all the way to the premiership and was avalible on a free transfer right at the start of the game. Great bet if you can get him IMO.

Other things to look for is players out of contract at the end of seasons. Expessially if you just flood all your transfer money into your wage budget (see boardroom), youll be able to capture some pretty niffty SPL players next season. I took Nacho Novo from Rangers on a free and then Peter Loverkrands from Newcastle the following season while in the Conferance and League Two respectivley. By doing this you may end up with a team of aging stars, but certainly one that will boost your league ratings meaning higher income of money and allows you to bring your own youth through. Again using these aging players to tutor your best youngsters. 

Always keep an eye on whos been released or left a club, these are always the cheapest players and they rarley ask for a big wage because they often just want to be playing footie again. Keep an eye on both Loan list and Transfer list for talented cheap players, although this isnt suitable if you go for my Bosman ruling technique as you have no budget to sign. 

Again if you spot top drawer talent cheap and you play them for a season and get a big offer for them take it. I know this might mean losing a star player. But say you get a 25 year old midfielder whos good enough for the championship in league two. Hes going to be wasted anyways. So that £1M sale could buy you a whole new team. Whats better, 11 good players or 10 donkeys and a superstar. 

Basic advice dave that you probably already know. But its those that got me to the premiership with a club i created.  
  • edited June 2011
    I used to play this for hours and hours before i discovered poker
  • edited June 2011
    I used to play for hours before poker, havent even got new one loaded on my laptop i got for chrimbo :( too addictive anyway i got a version on the ipad too but dont even use that anymore

I always used to take charlton up to premiership even last seasons 1 i managed to do that, i will start another with Arsenal and win everything with them. My mates used to come round and well all have a team and i always won i rocked.

Fifa & poker ftw now
  • edited June 2011
    I started a new game with Burnley a couple of days back and half a season in I am in relegation trouble.

I love this game.
  • edited June 2011
    can u download champ manager or league manager 4 free as i was told you had 2 buy the pc rom.
    have it on the xbox but rarely on it now and have alsao been told the pc version is much better
    any informartion would b gratly recieved
                                                                                 thanks

davie culross chqmp manager addict whos suffering withsdrawls
                                                                       dont want 2 sound like am begging but -PRITTY PRITTY PRITTY
                                                                       PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited June 2011
    I started a new game with Burnley a couple of days back and half a season in I am in relegation trouble. I love this game.
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    Burnley cant be a bad choice Dave. Some pretty decent young SCOTTISH talent there for you to use.
  • edited June 2011
    Cant remember the year of my fav cm, it was one of the first maybe even the first but Sol Campbell was a 16 year old striker for spurs, it may have been 1991.
  • edited June 2011
    Cant remember the year of my fav cm, it was one of the first maybe even the first but Sol Campbell was a 16 year old striker for spurs, it may have been 1991.
    Posted by shazallin
    Are you sure your a woman?? :)
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: football manager thread : Are you sure your a woman?? :)
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN

Are you sure you are a bloke?? :)
  • edited June 2011
    I used to play this for hours and hours before i discovered poker
    Posted by ajs4385
    +1
  • edited June 2011
    question for all. in any CM/FM game (name game please) whats been ur best signing player name, transfer fee and reason why please.

For me on FM10 i signed a Scottish Midfielder called Stephen McGinn on my modified database that meant all british leagues where on a par with the premiership financially for Rangers on a free transfer from St. Mirren. I needed a good capable back up midfeilder he fitted what i needed, he ended up winning me the Champions league after a long term injury to my star midfielder he got some games and just destoryed European football. Shame his Euro performances where never matched in the league and i had to sell him in the end.
  • edited June 2011
    question for all. in any CM/FM game (name game please) whats been ur best signing player name, transfer fee and reason why please. For me on FM10 i signed a Scottish Midfielder called Stephen McGinn on my modified database that meant all british leagues where on a par with the premiership financially for Rangers on a free transfer from St. Mirren. I needed a good capable back up midfeilder he fitted what i needed, he ended up winning me the Champions league after a long term injury to my star midfielder he got some games and just destoryed European football. Shame his Euro performances where never matched in the league and i had to sell him in the end.
    Posted by The_Don90
    Owen Morrison from Sheffied Wednesday for 1 Mirrion english punds... combined with this icelandic dude called Andri Siqporssen for 525k, combined they were just ridicioulsy amazing. Was my best ever game, was winning everything every season - they both did soo well I had a statue built of me outside the in game stadium. ez life.

I remember literaly winning everything!!!! Chamrions leaguesx5 the whole sharbang. This would've been ages ago, like 2003-2006. I've since started playing FM11 on the iphone as its immense, exactly like the good old champ man days when you could play a season in a day!!! you dont even need players to be interested to come to you - you just have to be able to afford them!!! cracking game, much better then pc version of FM
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: football manager thread : Owen Morrison from Sheffied Wednesday for 1 Mirrion english punds... combined with this icelandic dude called Andri Siqporssen for 525k, combined they were just ridicioulsy amazing. Was my best ever game, was winning everything every season - they both did soo well I had a statue built of me outside the in game stadium. ez life. I remember literaly winning everything!!!! Chamrions leaguesx5 the whole sharbang. This would've been ages ago, like 2003-2006. I've since started playing FM11 on the iphone as its immense, exactly like the good old champ man days when you could play a season in a day!!! you dont even need players to be interested to come to you - you just have to be able to afford them!!! cracking game, much better then pc version of FM
    Posted by TPTP123
    Im surious as to the differances between the pc versions and the non-pc versions.