You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

I think I played the turn wrong??

edited June 2011 in The Poker Clinic

After recieving a very cheap gutshot, which was nice of them, and then looking for a c/r I think I may have whimped out a little with the amount. Opponent was playin lots of hands but wasnt overly calling like a town cryer so was afraid of losing a customer with a pot size bet, but on reflection I probably could have stacked him on the river had I just punched pot!
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceZedsDeadBaSmall blind £0.02£0.02£5.01hooter64Big blind £0.04£0.06£4.98 Your hole cardsKJ   shires05Fold    smug88Call £0.04£0.10£3.70carelessFold    cardkill06Raise £0.08£0.18£1.41ZedsDeadBaRaise £0.22£0.40£4.79hooter64Fold    smug88Call £0.20£0.60£3.50cardkill06Call £0.16£0.76£1.25Flop  6109   ZedsDeadBaCheck    smug88Check    cardkill06Bet £0.04£0.80£1.21ZedsDeadBaCall £0.04£0.84£4.75smug88Call £0.04£0.88£3.46Turn  Q   ZedsDeadBaCheck    smug88Bet £0.44£1.32£3.02cardkill06Fold    ZedsDeadBaRaise £0.88£2.20£3.87smug88Call £0.44£2.64£2.58River  2   ZedsDeadBaBet £1.32£3.96£2.55smug88Call £1.32£5.28£1.26ZedsDeadBaShowKJ   smug88MuckQJ   ZedsDeadBaWinStraight to the King£4.88 £7.43

Comments

• edited June 2011
    hey mate, i had the same situation with the same hand the other night(i hit straight) villain had top pair. i played same as u but jammed on river and got looked up. depends on the oppo though if they call thinking top pair is winning.
  • edited June 2011
    why are you 3betting pre?

I might bet flop

raise turn bigger

even as played shove river, its an easy shove if u raise turn bigger
  • edited June 2011
    hate the turn minraise sooooo much but everyone loves it at this level, so w/e I guess lol

Probably no need to mash pot and overkill, but raise to £1.10/1.20 or so, then you can comfortably stick him in on river.

Also, KJ is nowhere near strong enough to 3bet pre. You've been given a nice cheap flop with cards that flop well, so leave it at that.
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: I think I played the turn wrong??:
    hate the turn minraise sooooo much but everyone loves it at this level, so w/e I guess lol Probably no need to mash pot and overkill, but raise to £1.10/1.20 or so, then you can comfortably stick him in on river. Also, KJ is nowhere near strong enough to 3bet pre. You've been given a nice cheap flop with cards that flop well, so leave it at that.
    Posted by DeucesLive
    It is if he calls with QJ. I would think it might be possible to 3bet KJ for value at 4NL. Most villains are stations from what I hear so you should be able to widen your 3bet value range IF opener opens wideish . I'm not sure I like it in this spot though
  • edited June 2011
    Without being rude I think you played it wrong pre.  KJ is not a raising hand there.  KJ is called the rookie hand for a reason bud.  It looks pretty bud plays badly against a callers range post.

But if you are raising oop there pre, you need to intend fire a solid 2/3rds pot pot on flop.  You cant really raise there with the plan to win the pot at showdown imo.

As it turns out its an action hand.  He leads so strong when the Q falls I likely make a bet that commits his stack on the river regardless of what falls
  • edited June 2011
    why are you 3betting pre? I might bet flop raise turn bigger even as played shove river, its an easy shove if u raise turn bigger
    Posted by grantorino
    Because I wanted to play HU against the button, he was calling everything with nothing.
  • edited June 2011
    Without being rude I think you played it wrong pre.  KJ is not a raising hand there.  KJ is called the rookie hand for a reason bud.  It looks pretty bud plays badly against a callers range post. But if you are raising oop there pre, you need to intend fire a solid 2/3rds pot pot on flop.  You cant really raise there with the plan to win the pot at showdown imo. As it turns out its an action hand.  He leads so strong when the Q falls I likely make a bet that commits his stack on the river regardless of what falls
    Posted by AMYBR
    But they were calling with stuff like K3o and Q7o!!!
  • edited June 2011
    If you have a feel for the table like you seem to here, then perhaps its not quite so bad.  But I'd still rather go to the gunfight with a bigger gun, you know?

I'm not saying the KJ is a terrible hand.  I'm saying that raising in the SB to then be OOP through streets against that kind of player is needlessly dangerous.  Inflating the pot doesnt really serve any purpose.  That type of player is going to call you down super light, so you need to win at showdown.

Sounds like they are going to stack you at some point anyhow so make it up to 0.08 and play solid post IMO.

The fact they are calling with those junk hands is a solid reason not to raise and exercise a bit of PC, as they likely hold any 2.  In this case you make the nuts.  In many many other cases you miss completely or get an A high flop, then what against the any 2 cowboys?  Tempted to call down K high in an inflated pot (or spiking 2nd pair on later street)?
  • edited June 2011
    If you have a feel for the table like you seem to here, then perhaps its not guit so bad.  But I'd still rather go to the gunfight with a bigger gun, you know? I'm not saying the KJ is a terrible hand.  I'm saying that raising in the SB to then be OOP through streets against that kind of player is needlessly dangerous.  Inflating the pot doesnt really serve any purpose.  That type of player is going to call you down super light, so you need to win at showdown. Sounds like they are going to stack you at some point anyhow so make it up to 0.08 and play solid post IMO. The fact they are calling with those junk hands is a solid reason not to raise and exercise a bit of PC, as they likely hold any 2.  In this case you make the nuts.  In many many other cases you miss completely or get an A high flop, then what against the any 2 cowboys?  Tempted to call down K high in an inflated pot (or spiking 2nd pair on later street)?
    Posted by AMYBR
    Ok thanks AMYBR.

You see the problem now?

I need to be spoken to like I'm a baby!

Regards,

Z.
  • edited June 2011
    Flat pre.

Call flop.

DO NOT bloody minraise on turn make a normal big raise.

DO NOT half pot bet after being called on river, shovle your stack in to the middle.
  • edited June 2011
    Flat pre. Call flop. DO NOT bloody minraise on turn make a normal big raise. DO NOT half pot bet after being called on river, shovle your stack in to the middle.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Rotflmao!

This is great, I love it.

But apart from that everything was ok? ;o)))

Z.
  • edited June 2011
    pre is fine if they are calling super wide, i would probably 3bet bigger though. i think flop is fine its a pretty bad flop to cbet. make it ~1.20 on turn and shove river