You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Raise Turn? Call river as played?

edited June 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Opponent is solid. Called flop as overcards, and 2 back door draws, think I should have raised turn, as played though should I call river?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
kp419 Small blind  £0.15 £0.15 £36.81
mattless Big blind  £0.30 £0.45 £34.82
  Your hole cards
  • A

DestinyBoy Call  £0.30 £0.75 £4.95
budgie0125 Fold     
xCall  £0.30 £1.05 £23.92
kezzzz Fold     
kp419 Call  £0.15 £1.20 £36.66
mattless Check     
Flop

kp419 Check     
mattless Check     
DestinyBoy Check     
xBet  £1.20 £2.40 £22.72
kp419 Fold     
mattless Call  £1.20 £3.60 £33.62
DestinyBoy Fold     
Turn

• A

mattless Check     
xBet  £2.70 £6.30 £20.02
mattless Call  £2.70 £9.00 £30.92
River

• K

mattless Check     
xBet  £6.75 £15.75 £13.27
mattless Call  £6.75 £22.50 £24.17
Show
  • K

mattless Show
  • A

xWin Two Pairs, Kings and 8s £21.37  £34.64

Comments

• ybyb
    edited June 2011
    fold flop
    definitely don't raise turn
    fold river
  • edited June 2011
    Raise pre (too many limpers)
    c-bet flop.
    pot size bet turn.
    check/fold river.

by doing this i doubt u wud of been in the position for him to bink a king. u def need to show that u have the ace on turn with a big bet..and not giving him the right odds to call.

hope this helps
  • edited June 2011
    Really dont like this hand bud.

You say opponent is solid and that you have two back door draws and two overs.  I think you seriously misjudge the strength of your hand here.

You have a gutshot and you dont really want to hit either of your overs.  Hit a 9 your 4 to a straight on board, hit your A and if opponent is solid you could be in really bad shape.  As it stands you call a full pot bet on flop hoping to hit 2 clean outs, the black 7's.  More often than not your check folding turn, so calling full pot is really odd here.

As it stands "solid" opponent is at the low end of his range, but this hand could have been really messy, there not being many cards that are good for you.

I definately fold flop to pot bet to save getting into a mess.

Turn I lead for value and to protect against 4th spade hitting river.  But you go to the river without really having a clue where you are on a straigth and flushy board calling off 2/3rds pot and completing 3 streets of value.
  • edited June 2011

you say villian is solid so i think as played u should fold river.. to me a solid player wouldnt 3 barrell this borad as a bluff..

also in a limped pot id fold flop regardless of gutshot and overs this board hits ranges in unraised pots quite hard your often gonna be against pairs + draws and/or strong pairs. and we playin OOP. if u hit on turn ur gonna be faced with hard decisions (as we found out)

as played your in a tricky spot because i would like a value lead on turn but its most likey gonna get called and then do we value bet river or c/fold or c/call?? . also c/raisin turn would be bad because we dont wanna bloat the pot too.

that leaves check callin which u did  so this i think is the best play.. but foldin the river is key in this hand..
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: Raise Turn? Call river as played?:
    fold flop definitely don't raise turn fold river
    Posted by yb

+1 Better to just fold flop
  • edited June 2011
    don't know why you'd want to stay involved on the flop, you only have your blinds in the middle, just muck and get on with next hand! checking pre is fine! and solid opponent limping in with 8K ? lol 
  • edited June 2011
    Just fold the flop.

If you get to the turn then bet it 66% of the pot but after this is called then you don't want to put any more into the pot. Hopefully a good turn bet will let him know you have an Ace so he will fold any weaker hand except possibly the 7 of spades.
  • edited June 2011
    raise pre

fold flop, why do you want to draw to a 9high 4flush,a 9 isnt a great card, its prob hard get paid if you hit gutshot

fold river