You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How do you play this correctly?

edited June 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Hand History #379406330 (21:03 06/06/2011)
Surely if he had anything he would check raise???? Figured the worst he had was 1 bid diamond so I couldn't call
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancebigaldoSmall blind 40.0040.008775.00ITFC-ROSSBig blind 80.00120.001995.00 Your hole cardsKK   oldboy66Fold    BizzylizzyFold    bradley889Raise 240.00360.003807.50SighKORaise 640.001000.004232.50bigaldoFold    ITFC-ROSSFold    bradley889Call 400.001400.003407.50Flop  A68   bradley889Bet 700.002100.002707.50SighKOFold    bradley889Muck    bradley889Win 1400.00 4107.50bradley889Return 700.000.004807.50PrevClose windowNext

Comments

• edited June 2011
    You do play it correctly, 3bet nicely pre, fold flop.

As far as I can see you do fine.  Alot of people dont really employ the c/r, myself being one of them.

An A non Diamond hand leads here for value/info/protection, but just as easily an A and D hand here.
  • edited June 2011

I think the bit that confused me was his bet sizing on the flop, 1/2 pot, if that was me with say jj/qq I would have bet a bit less prob midway between 1/3 and 1/2

• edited June 2011
    cant think of a worse flop for ur kings lol.

ul
  • edited June 2011
    perfectly played .. 
  • edited June 2011
    i think you gave up to easily, not played bad but i prob flat and see if they fire out again. if they have 1 diamond maybe they will check it down etc

I still think you played it well but i think you gave up to easily
  • edited June 2011
    Cant agree with this YG.  He can only raise or fold flop IMO.  Cant really call flop for 1/6th stack to fold turn.  Chances are his hand gets worse at turn.

Guy raises the CO calling a reraise, his range is abit polarised here.  If he's semi bluffing with a solid D fair play to him, but I think he has at least an A here.  I think OP'ster is right to make his decision on flop rather than get entangled at turn.

Not a good spot to let one come off here, prefer a re raise or fold, as call leaves you in lonely territory at turn when he leads again.  Even if he doesnt lead again, your probably looking at showdown value if he holds something like AxQ(through)6D, your still not really pushing him off an A with the re draw, or showing down against the A. 

Just happy to move to next hand for me.
  • edited June 2011
    calling here would be bad - you're only going to like 1 card in the deck and even then you might still be behind. fold and save your losses
  • edited June 2011
    bunch of nits lol usually if someone has it they dont donk bet out unless there being clever. if they have 1 diamond and non dimond turn surely they will check and we can either check for showdown or put 1//2 pot bet and get them to fold

i dont think its a standard fold imo as people could do this with QQ/JJ, if someone has an ace im pretty sure you can get them of on turn if they check a good majority of the time. sometimes its ok to call to see what they plan on doing on the next street as we have position no?  I think it can be an easy fold but it depends whether you have seen the villain donk bet? if so did it get to showdown, what sort of player are there? do you think they're any good etc
  • edited June 2011
    Were going to risk being able to push him off an Ax hand with a pot of 2800, him having 2700 back?  There's no real need to get too creative here IMO.

If he has an A + decent D he's never folding.  If he has a pair and a decent D he's shipping the turn.  He has taken the betting lead so I hate calling flop to try and pick it up on turn river, stack sizes being what they are.  Because you can only check behind on both streets or fold.  As any bet is for stacks at that point.

• edited June 2011

FWIW if this hand would of been earlier in the tournie I would have played it differently, but it was the defining moment and I couldn't put another chip in on that board.

In hindsight I think he had A/K (suits irrelevant) and the flop confused him as much as me so he chose the donk bet
  • edited June 2011
    I think your prob spot on and i dont blame you as its all about what stage of tourney, how much of a donk the villain is etc but i still think you played it well even though i probably flat
  • edited June 2011
    he raised 3xbb pre and flatted your raise.
    now post flop he raises, to me a C bet.
    you dont say what the stack sizes were so dont know if he was pot committed or  if you
    call his raise are you pot comitted.
    But i think its a good disciplined fold so you live to fight another day
  • edited June 2011
    Well played imo

Very many players go needlessly broke here. The amount that we have back means we cant really turn our hand into a bluff eithere.
  • edited June 2011
    no need to go broke i just think its not always a fold
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: How do you play this correctly?:
    no need to go broke i just think its not always a fold
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    i dont think theres too much we can do. i had a similar spot on saturday night and it played the same, although i was 2 red kings and it was 3 clubs Q high. i folded flop without putting more in although that was a mlti way pot.

I dont think we cn really argue with the OPs play. What turn cards do we like. Kh. Even then we might still be behind. We dont have a flush re-draw and i suspect our opponent might be on something like that. Its a trait i do alot is lead with the flopped nuts into a raiser because so many people wont lay down and will Shove 2 black kings here.

So say we go via your apporch YG and the turnb comes say 5 of spades. Our opponent leads out for another smallish bet of say 1000.
  • edited June 2011
    OMG don i am not dis-agreeing i have said how i will play it, if they bet turn aswell even with a blank i fold. I think alot of the time if they have 1 diaomond or non then it should go check turn and river

it all depends on the opponent and stage of tourney really whether you flat or fold. i dont like the re-raise as it commits us and would just be turning our hand into a bluff