You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

folding AA

edited June 2011 in The Poker Clinic

Had this hand tonight I know I should have raised pre flop !!!   but was the fold on the turn right?
 or should i have called the all in?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
FCPORTO81 Small blind  40.00 40.00 1865.00
JONONZIE Big blind  80.00 120.00 3370.00
 Your hole cards
  • A
  • A

hunston03 Fold     
tadpole240 Fold     
longers101 Fold     
hitmansin Call  80.00 200.00 6032.50
FCPORTO81 Raise  120.00 320.00 1745.00
JONONZIE Call  80.00 400.00 3290.00
hitmansin Call  80.00 480.00 5952.50
Flop

FCPORTO81 Bet  480.00 960.00 1265.00
JONONZIE Raise  1560.00 2520.00 1730.00
hitmansin All-in  5952.50 8472.50 0.00
FCPORTO81 Fold     
JONONZIE Fold     
hitmansin Muck     
hitmansin Win  4080.00  4080.00
hitmansin Return  4392.50

Comments

• edited June 2011
    Finding A's in the BB with a limp and raise ahead is a beautiful thing not to be wasted.

You can make a pretty big bet here that will often be perceived as a squeeze or weaker than normal as in the BB.  Never flat behind

I dont think folding flop to the 3bet is awful
  • edited June 2011
    I don't think I've ever seen AA played as bad as this.

Can you break down your actions,l why you did what you did at each stage?

1 - Why flat pre flop?

2 - Why raise the flop?

3 - Why fold to the shove?

You should consider stack sizes/opponent tendancies/history and game situation in your above analysis.

It really is frightening how you have played this hand, but to learn from it or for anyone to help you learn from it, you/we need to understand what's going through your mind at each stage.

• edited June 2011

pre flop wasn't great as you already know but I can't see how you could raise the flop for nearly half your stack then fold to the 3 bet, I would only do that if I was prepared to get it all in. there are so many hands that you are beating rather than losing to, he could be 3 betting with any overpair or even a flush draw or even a stone cold bluff with ak aq etc.. because of his stack.

I'm def calling there and if he has a set or has just called with junk and hit 2 pair or a straight then gl to him
    But as you know the big mistake was preflop, gotta re-raise around 360 ish imo

• edited June 2011
    This is terrible matey im sorry to say. Raise pre obviously

on that flop dont see how you can fold if they have a set GG more likely they have a flush draw or even a pp
  • edited June 2011
    raise folding the turn with your stack is pretty horrible
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: folding AA:
    I don't think I've ever seen AA played as bad as this. Can you break down your actions,l why you did what you did at each stage? 1 - Why flat pre flop? 2 - Why raise the flop? 3 - Why fold to the shove? You should consider stack sizes/opponent tendancies/history and game situation in your above analysis. It really is frightening how you have played this hand, but to learn from it or for anyone to help you learn from it, you/we need to understand what's going through your mind at each stage.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

Easy reply this I was in donkey mode !!

At this table everyone was very tight any raise, and unless they had a good hand all would fold so I thought limp pre flop get some chips in the middle then raise the flop and take it there,

I was still happy  when the flop was raised and with the board very wet i thought i would take it down there hence the big raise,but when the 3d player came over the top all in i guessed i was behind and with the initial raiser still to go decided to let it go

from start to finish this was terrible play i know. I put it up on the thread as sometime you need to put very badly played hands up to be slated so it wont happen again!!!

thanks for all who took the time to reply 
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: folding AA : Easy reply this I was in donkey mode !! At this table everyone was very tight any raise, and unless they had a good hand all would fold so I thought limp pre flop get some chips in the middle then raise the flop and take it there,   I was still happy  when the flop was raised and with the board very wet i thought i would take it down there hence the big raise,but when the 3d player came over the top all in i guessed i was behind and with the initial raiser still to go decided to let it go from start to finish this was terrible play i know. I put it up on the thread as sometime you need to put very badly played hands up to be slated so it wont happen again!!! thanks for all who took the time to reply 
    Posted by JONONZIE

The inital bettor folded before the action was back to you......

I don't think you will take anything from the thread by just accepting you played it wrong, and having people slate you for it.

Would be better if you were to learn why what you did was wrong.

You haven't really mentioned what you put the other players on, or why you raised the flop as big as you did only to fold. If you were going to fold after your raise, why not just call in the first place?

Also if every raise was making people fold before the flop, why not raise every single hand?
  • edited June 2011
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: folding AA : The inital bettor folded before the action was back to you...... I don't think you will take anything from the thread by just accepting you played it wrong, and having people slate you for it. Would be better if you were to learn why what you did was wrong. You haven't really mentioned what you put the other players on, or why you raised the flop as big as you did only to fold. If you were going to fold after your raise, why not just call in the first place? Also if every raise was making people fold before the flop, why not raise every single hand?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

Begining to wish i had just fogoten this hand

thought the first raiser had top pair so not to worried when he raised there, then i put a big bet (obviosly far to big) but wanted the other players to know I mean business and would go all in, (NOT) when the third player went all in i put him on trips I still had 1500 chip so folded I very rarely if ever limp with AA and with both players limping pre flop thought I could take it with a big reraise, but i wonder what would have happend if I did raise with my AA, (3XBB) if the all in player had a pair surley he would still have called then hit his trips on the flop? (dont want to even think about him having just an over pair) what do you think he had?
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: folding AA : Begining to wish i had just fogoten this hand thought the first raiser had top pair so not to worried when he raised there, then i put a big bet (obviosly far to big) but wanted the other players to know I mean business and would go all in, (NOT) when the third player went all in i put him on trips I still had 1500 chip so folded I very rarely if ever limp with AA and with both players limping pre flop thought I could take it with a big reraise, but i wonder what would have happend if I did raise with my AA, (3XBB)  if the all in player had a pair surley he would still have called then hit his trips on the flop? (dont want to even think about him having just an over pair) what do you think he had?
    Posted by JONONZIE
    lol, sorry, only trying to help, if I can.

Well it is abit of a shock when you re raise and someone behind shoves all in facing a bet and a raise in front of him.

Obviously he looks really really strong, and could well have a set.

But he could also have overpairs, and flush draw type hands. 

I think the point is you beat enough of the possible hands he could have to be able to make the call. 77/88/99/TT/JJ/QQ/KK, and all flush draw hands.

Once you raise the flop so much, as you said, it's with the intention of putting all your money in.

And you "under-repped" your hand pre flop, he can never put you on aces in a million years can he? So he has every reason to over-value his hands like 99/TT/JJ and think they're ahead.

I think if you're going to play the AA pre flop the way you did, it's not "too bad" (although not for me personally) but it becomes really bad once you see a flop like that, put half of your stack in, then fold. 

You decided to slow play, got the desired result, and then changed your plan after you had gone half way.............

Looking back at the hand, don't you think you would be better off folding them pre flop than playing them the way you did? (seriously).....

You obv wanted some advice/critisism as you posted the hand, the last thing I wanted to do was put you off posting more, apologies if I have, it wasn't my intention.

Just gotta strip a hand down sometimes to explain how good/bad it was. Hopefully you've taken something from the thread anyway, gl.
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: folding AA : Begining to wish i had just fogoten this hand thought the first raiser had top pair so not to worried when he raised there, then i put a big bet (obviosly far to big) but wanted the other players to know I mean business and would go all in, (NOT) when the third player went all in i put him on trips I still had 1500 chip so folded I very rarely if ever limp with AA and with both players limping pre flop thought I could take it with a big reraise, but i wonder what would have happend if I did raise with my AA, (3XBB)  if the all in player had a pair surley he would still have called then hit his trips on the flop? (dont want to even think about him having just an over pair) what do you think he had?
    Posted by JONONZIE
    he hasnt hit a set i dont think more likely he has 10s+ and thinks they are good on that board
  • edited June 2011
    Jesus this is proper scary stuff lolz.
  • edited June 2011
    I dont like folding the flop but that cold 3bet is pretty scary. folding to the cold 3bettor isnt as bad as folding to the guy who cbet

raise pre

get it in on flop
  • edited June 2011

Hindsight is a wonderful thing flat calling my AA as you say is not the most terrible play if you have a strategy which i did (raise the flop) unfortunately the flop was about as bad as it could get with two limpers, the first players raise i was not worried about, flush draw straight draw or top pair so i need to bet enough to push him of any draw or small pair, also being a pot size bet on a low board he could even be trying to steal so i needed to put in a big raise at this stage player three has not shown any strength and I guessed he came along because it was cheap, now I put in a big raise which should take the hand down. 960 in the pot and raised 1560 on reflection this may have been my biggest mistake as it reeks of a resteal so when the third player went all in (with  no hesitation) he either has the nuts, or a huge hand  as he limped he could have anything my thinking was trips or he hit the straight and wanted a call, (although if he had hit the straight surely he would just call to get it all on the turn? )

So: 1 limping (anyone not limped with AA?) not the best play but also not the worst (acceptable just)

2 the reraise far to much it looks like a resteal and a bit desperate (bad play) unless you are going to shove any bet

3  the fold I think this is a hit and miss as there is no logic in the whole of this hand by any player he either has you well beat or not so it is players discretion whether to call or fold my take was I still had 1500 chips. and did not want to gamble with my tournament   (acceptable)

this is my breakdown of the hand with your help, It started badly and it went downhill from there but as long as i learn from it it is not in vain 
    thanks to all epecialy DOHHH for your time and patience  

• edited June 2011
    Mehh as horid this spot is we cant fold flop..he could just as easy have KQc imo.
  • edited June 2011
    just call and get your monies in, you slow played and got someone to over play there hand possibly
    you butchered the hand but you could still be in front and frankly you can't fold

He could so have 2 pr or set but hey ho maybe next time you will raise pre :)
    Better to win a small pot than loose a big one :)

Also lets say you raise pre and they still call.
    You get the same action on the flop, are you folding ?
    No you can't fold here :)