You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Super LAG PLO @ lower limits......

edited June 2011 in The Poker Clinic

It seems to me that the better players at lower PLO limits, (10/25c and 25/50c, not mega micros) are really tight and straight forward.

Obviously theres lots of fish too.....

Is there any room for a novice (such as myself) to take a really aggressive approach to a PLO25 table and try and run the table over?

I had a go on Saturday with abit of success, but obviously I could have just run good and got lucky. This obv wont happen everytime.

Should I carry on with the super agro approach? (like rly rly agro, raising most unopened pots in late pos/3 betting/barrelling flops/turns/repping scare cards etc) Or should I quit while I'm ahead and try to learn the properly starting as a nitty TAG then opening up as I become more experienced?

Obv with my approach I'm gonna be getting it in pre w/ hands like 5 6 7 9 d/s but that's not too bad right even against aces? 

BR isn't really an issue at these levels unless it gets ridiculous.

I kinda enjoy having the "fishy maniac" rep for once, sucking out on nitty regs. But I'm never tyhat far behind and I have enough basic knowledge and understanding of omaha to identify ridic spots and know when to give up most of the time. 

Whadda ya reckon?

Comments

• edited June 2011
    Ask coxy me thinks.
  • edited June 2011
    IMO you cant be LAG enough in PLO.  Its not my best game by any stretch of the imagination, but IMO its a pure flop game.  I dont think having an especially aggro bluffy style is that well suited tbh bud.  Peoples ranges are hugely wider, starting hands just being so much more diverse.

Thing is if your playing profiatably you shouldnt really go on a backfoot and ask people if you should change.  The best players have always carved their own niche, streamlining their action.  If it starts to become unprofitable, adapt and change.

Until then enjoy the spoils bud.
  • edited June 2011

I just want to be 20 buck spin thats all :(
  • edited June 2011
    starting as a nitty TAG then opening up as I become more experienced?

Being a nitty TAG imo loses you money in PLO if a flop comes K 5 6 2 hearts and you have 7 8 Qh Ah even though you hit none of that board at all i would be trying to get as much as the money in as possible on that board where as most the 10nl and 20nl on here just flat trying to keep as much behind as possible thats where they go wrong cause when they do hit the draw on the turn the opponent is less pot commited as opposed (sp?) to being really aggro on the flop with 18 outs and potential runner runner 10 J for the turn and river imo keep playing really aggro/fishy they don't like it, even watch some of the highstakes PLO try and pick a few things up and bring it into the lower stakes games ?
  • edited June 2011
    Gettin Kin battered lol.

Auto top up is the devil
  • edited June 2011
    AIPF every hand.

Let the cards do the talking.

More exciting that way...
  • edited June 2011
      Preflop aggro is fine imo. As long as you follow a couple of basic rules.

First of all get a feel for your opponents before attempting this because you dont want to be barrelling a board against an opponent who doesnt understand when they should fold despite being ahead of you. ( some fools will call all down the streets with an overpair or TPTK). Also if a good solid player is calling you you need to be able to put them on a reason for doing this.

Board reading skills. This is more vital in PLO than NLHE. You need to be able to just give up when the board goes bad and save your money for another opportunity. As again you will get fools at these levels chasing a 9 high flush draw on a paired board down the streets with out realising how foolish this is.

Also do not even attempt to be doing these sort of moves with any hand. Use hands with good potential realising that most people will call any raise just because they have a pair (no matter how bad ) in their hand. Being prepared to get it  AIPF with hands like 5679ds is fine and is a hand i would prefer everytime to AA95 rainbow. These hands have lots of potential; and many ways to win the pot.

So IMO super laggy is fine but as long as you remember that Mr Paranoia is your greatest friend in PLO and needs to be listened to, not just trying to use your opponents paranoia against them.

• edited June 2011
    I seen this advice before on micro stakes PLO. Its not qute dohs longwinded guide to 4NLHE but I think it pretty much sums up what to do

1 Flop the nuts
    2 Bet like fcuk
  • edited June 2011
    low stakes players dont like to fold pairs, in omaha its easy to flop 1/2pairs

[ ]  bluffing works well
  • edited June 2011
    Started pretty bad, but now it's going really wekk.

From -4 buy ins to + 15 buy ins 2 tabling.

Prob drop a few now I'm v drunk, but I cud deffo play this sober, I wanna get good at it!

• edited June 2011
    ive been playing PLO for a while now dohhhhh,the weaker players can be scared off hands when you represent big hands but IMO you have to bet about 3/4 pot to stop 2 pair calling if you miss,aggro can work but you deffo need to be lucky at this game when the money goes in close your eyes and hope for the best,that applies going in with best or worst of it,,i have found the higher the stakes the more they call your bluff after river,also i raise big with small connectors as most of the table put you on high pair or cards and if you hit you can clean them out,its a game i love playing and im winning the majority of the time now at small stakes at another site where i get rakeback,if you have anymore questions just PM me
  • edited June 2011
    Cheerz Andy, Talon et al.

I love this game!!! So much better than Hold em.

equity ftw.

Gonna watch and read a load of stuff today :):):):)
  • edited June 2011
    being really laggy in PLO genrally results in big swings
    It seems to be that people play tight and play there cards more

So much easy money in OM anyway if you know how to play it becuase there are so many people that don't

good luck
  • edited June 2011
    totally agree rancid