You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Small blind

edited June 2011 in The Poker Clinic
harding10 Small blind  400.00 400.00 13672.50
lawro19810 Big blind  800.00 1200.00 14250.00
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • J

rossjb14 Fold     
hhyftrftdr Fold     
pilgrim07 Fold    
Keep running into the same type of problem recently, and I'm not sure if I'm playing it badly or just getting unlucky..

Not specific to AJ, but with this type of hand from the sb with <20bb what should I be doing? Folding seems tight, call seems weak, standard raise looks like a steal but is a shove too risky with only the BB to act?

Comments

• edited June 2011
    if you had 10bb or less its a shove regardless of how big blind plays.
    if BB is laggy or capable of making 3bets light then its a 2.5x raise and snapping off a shove.
    If big blind is a nit then i think its a 2.5x raise but fold to a shove.
    If Big blind only has 10bb or less then you should forgget the 2.5x and just set him allin, he will call with much worse.
  • edited June 2011
    I might just shove.

Or raise/call.

Or limp/jam.

Happy to get it in using any of the above methods depending on the bb.

Shove mostly though.
  • edited June 2011
    I don't like the shove  If BB has half a clue, when you shove your folding out all raggy aces and K,Q type hands.
    You only get a call from PP's and A,J+.
    Suppose its all dependant on how BB sees you and what sort of player BB is.
    Don't think i ever limp.  Sat deep enough to 2.5x and big blind will still think he has fold equity.
  • edited June 2011

This is definitely not a fold or limping situation.

It's either a raise or a shove depending on your table image and your opponent.

It also depends on what type of tournament, stack sizes of you and your opponent, blinds and how many left in relation to the payouts.

Also, just to add don't play AJ the same way in this position all of the time, nothing wrong with mixing it up.
  • edited June 2011

In general I am raise/calling

• edited June 2011
    You're never getting away from your AJ here, but perversely you don't want to see a flop.
    Folding or limping are simply not options. So it's a question of how much to raise and what to do if played back at.

I would not shove. It looks like you're trying it on and you're potentially going to be called down by hands like KT or 88. Though you're maybe 60/40, you really don't want to be risking your tournament life on it.

Raising 2.5x also gives you a problem. Again the likes of KT or 88 are likely to shove on you and again you're not in a nice spot. I'd certainly come over the top of someone who made such a SB raise, wouldn't you?

I would raise big here - raise to 5,000. The BB knows that there is no way you're trying it on as you've pot-committed yourself; he also knows that if he comes over the top you're calling. He knows you've got a hand and mean business. What can the villain do but fold? His KT or 88 will hit the muck before you blink.

If he has JJ, QQ, KK, AA or AK then it's just bad luck. On stack sizes, AQ would probably hit the muck to a 5K raise here.

• edited June 2011
    bigbluster, I really see no difference between making it 5k and shoving. Both are effective all in bets and will be perceived the same (as either strong or weak,) by villain
  • edited June 2011
    50/50

i would bet/call jus so we can induce from worse......shovin is also fine, 
  • edited June 2011
    shove or fold

stop messing about - do you want the 1200 in the middle or not

Most of the time he is folding, don't get fancy
    If you run into a prem hand then ul

If you feel this jam is too risky for you then just raise 2.2 or something
    If he calls your 2.2,  you now have to play your hand playing OOP which is horrible
    Essentially if you miss the flop your back to where you were pre so ................... now you jam and he calls with
    botom pr and your out :D

Good luck

• edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: Small blind:
    I don't like the shove  If BB has half a clue, when you shove your folding out all raggy aces and K,Q type hands. You only get a call from PP's and A,J+.
    Posted by freechips1
    You have to remember a shove is only getting called a very small percentage of the time. Bearing in mind that the BB will be only calling with prem hands with that chip stack
    If you factor in how often the BB is going to wake up with a prem hand then a shove is always on even with any 2.

AJ is just not a big enough hand to get cute with.
    Regarding the min/2.2/2.5 raise the idea of this raise is becauae ideally it's directed towards good players who realise they can not call late in the tournament because of latter street bets will leave them virtually pot commited.
    Unlike not so good players who will think, it's only another 800 I might aswell call. They call and flop good and you are sitting there with ace high OOP, so this is what the poster is probably encountering.

SHOVE IT UP EM

• edited June 2011
    bigbluster, I really see no difference between making it 5k and shoving. Both are effective all in bets and will be perceived the same (as either strong or weak,) by villain
    Posted by grantorino
    I disagree.
    The 5K bet looks a lot stronger than the shove. And it is. You could be shoving with anything here - would you shove a pair of fours or QJ? Many or most people would. And the 88/KT type hands would likely snap them off.
    But with 88/KT against a 5K raise, not too many people would come over the top. In tournaments you often don't know the villain that well so just have to go with how you feel the majority of villains would play it.

Horses for courses. Not saying I'm right but the way I play it tends to work for me.
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: Small blind : You have to remember a shove is only getting called a very small percentage of the time. Bearing in mind that the BB will be only calling with prem hands with that chip stack If you factor in how often the BB is going to wake up with a prem hand then a shove is always on even with any 2. AJ is just not a big enough hand to get cute with. Regarding the min/2.2/2.5 raise the idea of this raise is becauae ideally it's directed towards good players who realise they can not call late in the tournament because of latter street bets will leave them virtually pot commited. Unlike not so good players who will think, it's only another 800 I might aswell call. They call and flop good and you are sitting there with ace high OOP, so this is what the poster is probably encountering. SHOVE IT UP EM
    Posted by rancid
    I've just started shoving in this situation, which is a bit deeper than I might have before, because I don't want to be playing oop against a caller.

On a very small sample it's not gone well so I wanted to check if this was too reckless or I've just been unlucky so far. Looks as though the shove is OK, but I might mix it up with Bigbluster's advice as well. 

On this occasion the BB had AK.
  • edited June 2011
    Raise/call.

And pull your hair out when he flats your raise and the flop comes down QTx and you are left in no mans land.
  • edited June 2011
    Raise/call. And pull your hair out when he flats your raise and the flop comes down QTx and you are left in no mans land.
    Posted by CLIOKID
    lol yeh, this is why I shove.

My limp jam is only against agro players btw. 
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: Small blind : I disagree. The 5K bet looks a lot stronger than the shove. And it is. You could be shoving with anything here - would you shove a pair of fours or QJ? Many or most people would. And the 88/KT type hands would likely snap them off. But with 88/KT against a 5K raise, not too many people would come over the top. In tournaments you often don't know the villain that well so just have to go with how you feel the majority of villains would play it. Horses for courses. Not saying I'm right but the way I play it tends to work for me.
    Posted by BigBluster
    maybe some players perceive it as stronger idk, dont [play many tourneys

why cant I bet 5K with anything, same as I can shove with anything?
  • edited June 2011
    50/50 i would bet/call jus so we can induce from worse......shovin is also fine, 
    Posted by LnarinOO
    +1