You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The Dark Nemisis.

edited June 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Ok i've spoken to many of you and recently my confidence has been pretty low and all of you have been a great support. Ive discussed a few things with dohhh, and he rekons i have the game to be beating the levels i play. However i have alot of "off the table" issues.

These are mostly down to my mental strenth. I know to start to move up the levels and further develop my game i need to start to work on these.

So im looking for advice on dealing with Tilt imparticular. Ive looked up loads and never quite grasped it. All i can find is reasons why we tilt, ive found no cure. ive worked on many different techniques includeing the old nh and move on. This is effecting me hugley as i cant add the volume needed to start making money. If i tilt because of a bad beat on one table its costing me loads on others.

Secondly working on a routine. And focusing on keeping enough games going. Ive decided to make a full 100% effort at my mtts. Cash wasnt working for me and i love mtts. I will return to cash but i need to get my mentality sorted first.

All advice is welcomed on this as im at a lost end.

Comments

• edited June 2011
    Its like being homosexual IMO, you dont decide to be tilted, you just are.

Like you say its a mental automatic response, I think they've actually quantified it medically.

When I tilt, I tilt badly.  So I reduce the opportunity for tilt, rather than deal with tilt when it comes along.

Its abit like cognitive conditioning in anger managment.  Your not always looking to fix the problem, but recognise it and create alternate strategies to disrupt your normal pattern of behaviour.  Example being a violent person having 10 levels of anger, but once he passes level 7 he is out of control and beyond the point where he can recognise his reckless action, but knows he's angry.  So you teach him to recognise level 3 or so of his anger and disrupt his normal behaviour.  Such as stop whatever your doing and take the dog for a walk.

Same thing as Tilt for me.  If things arent going my way I'll just leisurely go too the bar.  Perhaps strike up a conversation with someone. 

On top of that I just remind myself to play winning poker you need to be in logic mode rather than an emotional one.

Also I try not to take perceived flips, as I dont flip well.  I try to avoid putting myself in those positions where you're counting on the coin landing on your side, as once I let the steam and Tilt in in these spots its hard to get back into a good frame of mind.
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: The Dark Nemisis.:
    Its like being homosexual IMO, you dont decide to be tilted, you just are. Like you say its a mental automatic response, I think they've actually quantified it medically. When I tilt, I tilt badly.  So I reduce the opportunity for tilt, rather than deal with tilt when it comes along. Its abit like cognitive conditioning in anger managment.  Your not always looking to fix the problem, but recognise it and create alternate strategies to disrupt your normal pattern of behaviour.  Example being a violent person having 10 levels of anger, but once he passes level 7 he is out of control and beyond the point where he can recognise his reckless action, but knows he's angry.  So you teach him to recognise level 3 or so of his anger and disrupt his normal behaviour.  Such as stop whatever your doing and take the dog for a walk. Same thing as Tilt for me.  If things arent going my way I'll just leisurely go too the bar.  Perhaps strike up a conversation with someone.  On top of that I just remind myself to play winning poker you need to be in logic mode rather than an emotional one. Also I try not to take perceived flips, as I dont flip well.  I try to avoid putting myself in those positions where you're counting on the coin landing on your side, as once I let the steam and Tilt in in these spots its hard to get back into a good frame of mind.
    Posted by AMYBR

lolololoooool.

enough said, close thread!

:):):)

• edited June 2011
    wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii^^^^^^^^^^^^

Or you could get some of these stress boobies!!!!!!!

http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/110950163/promotional_giveaway_paypal_retail_stress_nipple.html
  • edited June 2011
    I dont think you can "cure" tilt. We are human, we get angry at percieved injustices, thats just the way we are.

No one can tell you how to control it, only you can answer that. Just remember when you get a bad beat, its not personal its just poker. You are the better player at the table and you will get that money back, just a matter of when.

But its much easier to make back 2 buy ins than it is 7....... just look at it that way
  • edited June 2011
    Hi Don,

Sent you a PM mate.

JC
  • edited June 2011
    I still suffer with tilt and prob always will.  As peeps have said its a normal human reaction, its how we deal with it.
    Some people in life fly off the handle at the slightest thing while others take it in their stride.
    I think we as humans in time (and our brain) learn to take different situations that once we could not.
    When we first started playing poker, how did you react to your first bad session (a few bad beats)? Think how you would react now! im sure you would be allot cooler now if the same thing was to happen.
    What im saying is the more it happens, we get immune to it.
    If you have problems outside of poker then this will affect you.  If your already in a mood the slightest bad beat/outdrew/not protecting your hand or playing a hand badly will send you on mega tilt.
    I have not become immune to beats but i take it allot better than i did in the past.
    What tilts me now? When i make mistakes.
  • edited June 2011
    ty all. some pretty good advice.

Replied ty JC. Lil tired so struggling to read it properly will do when ive had a nap.
  • edited June 2011
    also sent you a pm to a good article i am reading
  • edited June 2011
    also sent you a pm to a good article i am reading
    Posted by tapeworm
    Can you pm me, i used to tilt alot but dont really anymore or if i do i can stop myself, still bit of light reading would be good ty
  • edited June 2011
    I'm an absolute tilt monster so I'm in no position to advise on this point.

Load up spankwire and whack one off should do the trick.
  • edited June 2011
    i found that the best way to me to personally tilt less was to just have a bankroll of 50+bi's.

there is a book by tommy angelo called the elements of poker which has some good stuff on tilt in it
  • edited June 2011
    to be honest i dont tilt, never have. when i first started playing a close friend told me as long as you get it in good its down to the poker gods/ rng. bit like golf really, why let 1 bad shot effect the next one. forget the hand , its over , nothing more can be done ,it aint gonna change and move on to the next one.  phil
  • edited June 2011
    Tilt is like being a homosexual

best reply ever amybr
  • edited June 2011

seriously

take a break.

Try increase volume so you get used to stuff like set over set 77 cracking AA etc. (Dont take this step while you are actually tilting)

I also like playing something at low levels where I have fcuk all idea what I am doing to blow of steam, plo8 or razz might fit the bill. Its particularly pleasing if you can send some 0.01/0.02 fishreg in these games into monkeytilt by inflicting redic beats on them and telling them how 5 were coming on board all day etc in chatbox

• edited June 2011
    Even the pro's tilt..look at trickett on aussie millions other night, he'd just won 1.4m but was tilting cos he didnt come first its insane.

If i am on a bad run and tilting i play a small 30p dym to allow me to play stupidly by tilting..hide balance and continue at normal stakes when i am not tilting so much....
    also put a note on everyone who bad beats u and when u meet again...REVENGE!!!
  • edited June 2011
    If you're getting loads of beats it's obviously gonna hurt, I've had a few recently that have stung but I just keep telling myself long term I'm winning.

I personally am able to control tilt mainly for the reason that the level I'm playing you don't need to do any stupid 3 barrel bluffs to win a hand instead just keep playing tight and hope the 80% shot goes your way next time !
  • edited June 2011
    All I meant with the homosexual thing is its something that is out of your control :p

You're wired the way your wired is all.

("Jazz makes babies gay people, future doctor over here."  Dr. Cox)
  • edited June 2011
    adivce 'get older quicker' the older folk tend to be able to just shrug it off. To be honest i am going through alot in my personal life. Lost friends, jobs, my wallet etc. The strange thing was i dealt with all this but a £15 bad beat just sent me over the edge and i just lost it. Identify what is important in your life, play well within your price range and enjoy the game. I have just started to play PLO which brings back all the joys of learning the game all over again.
  • edited June 2011
    everyone tilts - when your emotions get involved with poker - this is tilt - everyone tilts -
    if someone says they don't tilt then there lying -

my name is rancid and i tilt

suppose the best way  to deal with it is laugh - releases a lot of tilt

• edited June 2011
    everyone tilts - when your emotions get involved with poker - this is tilt - everyone tilts - if someone says they don't tilt then there lying - my name is rancid and i tilt suppose the best way  to deal with it is laugh - releases a lot of tilt
    Posted by rancid
    rancid start a tilters annoymous thread.
  • edited June 2011
    I somehow play better when I'm on uber-tilt. Probably just me.

But this baby is the best £200 I ever spent for relieving pent up tension;

Slam Man
  • edited June 2011
    I somehow play better when I'm on uber-tilt. Probably just me. But this baby is the best £200 I ever spent for relieving pent up tension; Slam Man
    Posted by bandini
    i have 3 levels of tilt. or 3 levels as i call it

Level 1 - minor tilt. Not too bad but sheer frustration

Level 2 - This is the one i enjoy. I play some of the best poker when on this stage.

Level 3 - I just cant play in this stage,