You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

how is this fair? please help me guys im losing all the love i used to have for poker.....

edited June 2011 in The Poker Clinic
right here goes,

after a lot of bad beats in a lot of tourneys and a LOT of money down the pan i started playing lower buy in tourneys to hopefully get my game back and also some money back.
i was in a £150gtd tourney the other day where top 3 places were paid. i was playing my normal game and it was going quite well, i got down to the last 4 players and it was a real battle- everyone was playing really tight and not many hands were getting called due to the blinds being so big. i was giving the impression i was a tight player (ie not calling much, not defending big blinds, not bluffing etc..) i lost a few pots and was down to just over 6000 chips. i was dealt aq off-suit and with a raise before me and blinds at 200/400 i went all in (right or wrong??) then a mr. rigrat called me with a2 off suit and hit a 2 on river and knocked me out. i was not happy and to make it worse it was my last bit of money and i really could have done with a win to tide me over. in my opinion that is weak play due to the fact he would have put himself into last place chip-wise if my hand held up. it makes me sick when this seems to happen a LOT atm. would anybody call in his position is my question i guess? i personally wouldnt. if he had say like 20,000 chips i could understand but why play such a weak hand at such a crucial point in the game? i asked him what his view on why he called but no answer.  i have posted the hand details below could someone please give me some sort of feedback regarding this as ive been beating myself up about it since.
ive had countless bad beats just like everyone else and i understand that sometimes you have a bad run but i cant get my head around why what seemed a good player (rigrat) would make such a dangerous call??

i love poker and i really enjoy this site it think its got one of the best formats on the web but im really getting put off by all these bad beats.

thanks for reading guys.

Hand History #379993433 (18:56 08/06/2011)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
WETDREAM Small blind   200.00 200.00 13332.50
scorpio13 Big blind   400.00 600.00 10740.00
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • Q

rigrat1 Raise   800.00 1400.00 16490.82
mclexx All-in   6036.68 7436.68 0.00
WETDREAM Fold        
scorpio13 Fold        
rigrat1 Call   5236.68 12673.36 11254.14
rigrat1 Show
  • A

mclexx Show
  • A
  • Q

Flop

• J

Turn

River

rigrat1 Win Pair of 2s 12673.36   23927.50

Comments

• edited June 2011
    the only thing i can think of is that he believes in his ability to beat all three of you even if he loses this hand. I know exactly how you feel I was playing in the survivor last week, close to the bubble im SB and i figure 1 BB would secure my place so i shove holdin J8 the BB in a very similar situation, could be safe but probably needs 1 more BB to be sure calls holding 38 and out i go.
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to how is this fair? please help me guys im losing all the love i used to have for poker.....:
    right here goes, after a lot of bad beats in a lot of tourneys and a LOT of money down the pan i started playing lower buy in tourneys to hopefully get my game back and also some money back. i was in a £150gtd tourney the other day where top 3 places were paid. i was playing my normal game and it was going quite well, i got down to the last 4 players and it was a real battle- everyone was playing really tight and not many hands were getting called due to the blinds being so big. i was giving the impression i was a tight player (ie not calling much, not defending big blinds, not bluffing etc..) i lost a few pots and was down to just over 6000 chips. i was dealt aq off-suit and with a raise before me and blinds at 200/400 i went all in (right or wrong??) then a mr. rigrat called me with a2 off suit and hit a 2 on river and knocked me out. i was not happy and to make it worse it was my last bit of money and i really could have done with a win to tide me over. in my opinion that is weak play due to the fact he would have put himself into last place chip-wise if my hand held up. it makes me sick when this seems to happen a LOT atm. would anybody call in his position is my question i guess? i personally wouldnt. if he had say like 20,000 chips i could understand but why play such a weak hand at such a crucial point in the game? i asked him what his view on why he called but no answer.  i have posted the hand details below could someone please give me some sort of feedback regarding this as ive been beating myself up about it since. ive had countless bad beats just like everyone else and i understand that sometimes you have a bad run but i cant get my head around why what seemed a good player (rigrat) would make such a dangerous call?? i love poker and i really enjoy this site it think its got one of the best formats on the web but im really getting put off by all these bad beats. thanks for reading guys. Hand History #379993433 (18:56 08/06/2011) Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance WETDREAM Small blind   200.00 200.00 13332.50 scorpio13 Big blind   400.00 600.00 10740.00   Your hole cards A Q       rigrat1 Raise   800.00 1400.00 16490.82 mclexx All-in   6036.68 7436.68 0.00 WETDREAM Fold         scorpio13 Fold         rigrat1 Call   5236.68 12673.36 11254.14 rigrat1 Show 2 A       mclexx Show A Q       Flop     10 J 9       Turn     7       River     2       rigrat1 Win Pair of 2s 12673.36   23927.50
    Posted by mclexx

Hmmm,,.......know exactly how ya feel pal....see my post on How do they know when to call real silly hands..

gl in the future!

• edited June 2011
    The only thing to make u feel slightly better is that u got it in good and over time you will win these hands.
    he got lucky in the end, but on another day against another player he would lose.

ps. i wudnt put ur whole br on the line for a tourny which is harder to win, i would grind it out dyms, hu or cash games.
  • edited June 2011

It happens to us all see below. IMO Ace is worth more when only 4 player left, shove or call its a race.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    Esther Small blind  500.00 500.00 24900.00
    floppedout Big blind  1000.00 1500.00 17975.00
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • K

CuriousKev Fold     
    OLYMPIAN67 Fold     
    rawhand All-in  9620.00 11120.00 0.00
    KAEBESS Call  9620.00 20740.00 46795.00
    Esther Fold     
    floppedout Fold     
    rawhand Show
    • K
    • K

KAEBESS Show
    • A

Flop

• Q

Turn

River

KAEBESS Win Full House, 10s and 3s 20740.00
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to how is this fair? please help me guys im losing all the love i used to have for poker.....:
    right here goes, after a lot of bad beats in a lot of tourneys and a LOT of money down the pan i started playing lower buy in tourneys to hopefully get my game back and also some money back. i was in a £150gtd tourney the other day where top 3 places were paid. i was playing my normal game and it was going quite well, i got down to the last 4 players and it was a real battle- everyone was playing really tight and not many hands were getting called due to the blinds being so big. i was giving the impression i was a tight player (ie not calling much, not defending big blinds, not bluffing etc..) i lost a few pots and was down to just over 6000 chips. i was dealt aq off-suit and with a raise before me and blinds at 200/400 i went all in (right or wrong??) then a mr. rigrat called me with a2 off suit and hit a 2 on river and knocked me out. i was not happy and to make it worse it was my last bit of money and i really could have done with a win to tide me over. in my opinion that is weak play due to the fact he would have put himself into last place chip-wise if my hand held up. it makes me sick when this seems to happen a LOT atm. would anybody call in his position is my question i guess? i personally wouldnt. if he had say like 20,000 chips i could understand but why play such a weak hand at such a crucial point in the game? i asked him what his view on why he called but no answer.  i have posted the hand details below could someone please give me some sort of feedback regarding this as ive been beating myself up about it since. ive had countless bad beats just like everyone else and i understand that sometimes you have a bad run but i cant get my head around why what seemed a good player (rigrat) would make such a dangerous call?? i love poker and i really enjoy this site it think its got one of the best formats on the web but im really getting put off by all these bad beats. thanks for reading guys. Hand History #379993433 (18:56 08/06/2011) Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance WETDREAM Small blind   200.00 200.00 13332.50 scorpio13 Big blind   400.00 600.00 10740.00   Your hole cards A Q       rigrat1 Raise   800.00 1400.00 16490.82 mclexx All-in   6036.68 7436.68 0.00 WETDREAM Fold         scorpio13 Fold         rigrat1 Call   5236.68 12673.36 11254.14 rigrat1 Show 2 A       mclexx Show A Q       Flop     10 J 9       Turn     7       River     2       rigrat1 Win Pair of 2s 12673.36   23927.50
    Posted by mclexx

I know what you are saying pal...I remember playing a tournament bout 18 months ago, about 120 runners quite a big prize pool... I got to the f/t and started to get a run of cards and made it down to the last 4, I got A,J in the C/O and raised 2.4x, the chip leader jammed,and I knew he was tilted so I called... he had 8.2 and won the hand.....2 out of 3 times I win, but the table dynamics made me wonder how could he make the move, until this day I don't know.

And even now I wonder how somebody can play a mtt for 5 hours and get to the final table and go all in for 40bb's with a.7 when the 2nd stack has 4 bet him showing vpip of 12% o/c a.7 rag beats QQ everytime.... the cynics will tell you "Its poker"

Usually when ppl tell you this they are runners for the site and receive commision on every post they make.... why else would they bother to offer nothing constructive apart from "Thats poker"

• edited June 2011
    lol @ last point sighko

'Usually when ppl tell you this they are runners for the site and receive commision on every post they make....  

I can gurantee you this does not happen on here, seriously i know your down about poker etc at the mo but the above statement is ridiculous

The bottom line is people like to gamble so make bad calls, maybe they believed in the theory the chip stack always wins and got lucky this 1 time it happens. AJ v 82 i think its like 60/40 really so you should win 6/10

which is 3 in 5 times doesnt seem so bad then does it? seriously your not going to improve or get your mindset better if you keep blaming the site etc dude chin up we all get them
  • edited June 2011
    ok my mistake your are 67 % so just 2 in 3 is correct sorry bit tired :P

Text results appended to pokerstove.txt1,712,304 games 0.004 secs 428,076,000 games/secBoard: Dead: equity win tie pots won pots tied Hand 0: 67.220% 67.01% 00.21% 1147479 3530.00 { AcJd }Hand 1: 32.780% 32.57% 00.21% 557765 3530.00 { 8h2s }

rest still makes sense i think
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: how is this fair? please help me guys im losing all the love i used to have for poker.....:
    In Response to how is this fair? please help me guys im losing all the love i used to have for poker..... : I know what you are saying pal...I remember playing a tournament bout 18 months ago, about 120 runners quite a big prize pool... I got to the f/t and started to get a run of cards and made it down to the last 4, I got A,J in the C/O and raised 2.4x, the chip leader jammed,and I knew he was tilted so I called... he had 8.2 and won the hand.....2 out of 3 times I win, but the table dynamics made me wonder how could he make the move, until this day I don't know. And even now I wonder how somebody can play a mtt for 5 hours and get to the final table and go all in for 40bb's with a.7 when the 2nd stack has 4 bet him showing vpip of 12% o/c a.7 rag beats QQ everytime.... the cynics will tell you "Its poker" Usually when ppl tell you this they are runners for the site and receive commision on every post they make....  
    Posted by SighKO

It's Poker

Kerching........   $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$  ;o)

• edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: how is this fair? please help me guys im losing all the love i used to have for poker.....:
    In Response to how is this fair? please help me guys im losing all the love i used to have for poker..... : I know what you are saying pal...I remember playing a tournament bout 18 months ago, about 120 runners quite a big prize pool... I got to the f/t and started to get a run of cards and made it down to the last 4, I got A,J in the C/O and raised 2.4x, the chip leader jammed,and I knew he was tilted so I called... he had 8.2 and won the hand.....2 out of 3 times I win, but the table dynamics made me wonder how could he make the move, until this day I don't know. And even now I wonder how somebody can play a mtt for 5 hours and get to the final table and go all in for 40bb's with a.7 when the 2nd stack has 4 bet him showing vpip of 12% o/c a.7 rag beats QQ everytime.... the cynics will tell you "Its poker" Usually when ppl tell you this they are runners for the site and receive commision on every post they make....  
    Posted by SighKO
    if you think this is bad the first time i ever final tabled i got to HU with practically half the chips i find JJ i raise, the villain 3 bets, i four bet and the villain shoves showing 23suited to make things worse i hit my J on the flop, its like someone is playing with your emotions :D to :** in a split second lol. to make things worse still 1st got about 3X as much as second. To this day still baffles me.