You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Did I play this right?

Dudeskin8 Small blind  50.00 50.00 2410.00
tait2383 Big blind  100.00 150.00 4070.00
  Your hole cards
  • A

gascooker2 Call  100.00 250.00 2205.00
HB-city Fold     
carrotttop Fold     
Dudeskin8 Call  50.00 300.00 2360.00
tait2383 Check     
Flop

• A

Dudeskin8 Bet  225.00 525.00 2135.00
tait2383 Fold     
gascooker2 Raise  450.00 975.00 1755.00
Dudeskin8 Call  225.00 1200.00 1910.00
Turn

Dudeskin8 All-in  1910.00 3110.00 0.00
gascooker2 All-in  1755.00 4865.00 0.00
River

Dudeskin8 Show
  • A

gascooker2 Show
  • J

gascooker2 Win Flush to the Ace 4710.00  4710.00
Dudeskin8 Win Two Pairs, Aces and 10s 155.00  155.00
Call pre-flop was due to table not understanding raises, when I hit Ace descent kicker, bet 3/4 presumably not giving drawing odds, I thought about pushing there after raise but resisted. Worst card imaginable hits ofcourse and there we go.

Comments

• edited October 2009
    min raises like that always scream of flush draw to me, with AJ+ he is surely raising pre. With stack sizes, I`m getting it in after he has raised flop
  • edited October 2009
    The 10 was just about the nail in your coffin, one of those terrible turns that helps you but completes his hand.
    Played many games with you, I do know on the whole you can play this type of tourney quite easily and yes, I too can see games where raises are not respected. Played one yesterday. 6 x b raise and 4 callers. (6 x bb as 3 x bb was being laughed at) My ace King suited missed the flop in every concievable way and the winner showed 4 6 at the showdown (the other player had j 4 incidentally).
    I think the all in is your only real move left due to the pot size by this time. Just cold deck i'm afraid.

So to sum it up, on tables where raises are not respected......

Your damned if you do, your damned if you dont.

Sometimes it pays to actually move up a level if you find raises are earning no respect.

I saw you have recently moved up to £3.30. Was this a £3.30 or a micro?
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Did I play this right?:
    The 10 was just about the nail in your coffin, one of those terrible turns that helps you but completes his hand. Played many games with you, I do know on the whole you can play this type of tourney quite easily and yes, I too can see games where raises are not respected. Played one yesterday. 6 x b raise and 4 callers. (6 x bb as 3 x bb was being laughed at) My ace King suited missed the flop in every concievable way and the winner showed 4 6 at the showdown (the other player had j 4 incidentally). I think the all in is your only real move left due to the pot size by this time. Just cold deck i'm afraid. So to sum it up, on tables where raises are not respected...... Your damned if you do, your damned if you dont. Sometimes it pays to actually move up a level if you find raises are earning no respect. I saw you have recently moved up to £3.30. Was this a £3.30 or a micro?
    Posted by Hale72
    Yes I did recently move up to the £3.30 level thanks to handy win in a free-roll of £20, got me to around £100 so was quite happy with things. Yes you might say I haven't done the hard work of goin up but by bit, but when I was at the £2.20 level I experianced very hard times and even dipped to £45 at one point due to some runs of awful bad-beats (yes have a good laugh oh bad-beats arn't real etc).

Anyway at this point I got free entry to £5.50 deepy which amazingly I finished high in winning about £18 combined with the £20 and something else which I can't remember lol. Once I was able to play at the £3.30 level I figured it was due after the work I'd put in not getting any brakes whatsoever. I realised I wouldn't get to £5.50 level overnight but as long as I played good and raised with good hands, folded bad ones, simple stuff I would get there in time. Doing this I managed to get to £107 thinking hey I have a chance. I was wrong I then lost around 5 in a row, knocking me straight back down. then I went on to win a few lose a few win a few lose a few etc, just tredding water on my bankroll, very frustrating.

Unfortunatly this bad run turned into lose 3 win 1 which as you know isn't gonna move you up. One day I played around 10 games usually only do 2 if i can help it, and that run was the worst ending in my final game holding KK, late on in DYM guy raises I push he calls with 99, I type in chat box before I click all-in here comes the outdraw and rightly so the 9 hits flop. This was close to the final straw but not yet I still had more than 20 BB's so played on and now have £64.65. This hand was one of the latest doosies.

I'm using up my last poker points today, I earned a bundle destroying my roll, then I've decided to try out another site to see how things go for a few weeks, don't wanna be labeled a moaner but I've just had to many bad-beats to laught it off any more.

Good luck Hale and all.

P.S not sure what you mean by micro?
  • edited October 2009
    Generally I class Micro's at less than £1.15. I'm sure other people class things differently and Doyle Brunson may class 10k and below micro's. I suppose its all down to your own bankroll.

BRM is a tough cookie to crack. Dont let it beat ya. Also just because you managed to win/cash in a couple of freebies then I still consider this earnt cash. Started with very small BR myself when I came here and had to rely on £1.15 and below to slowly build this up to about 25/30 quid over a month or so. Got lucky (personally, I like to call it skill, but doubtless others think lucky was better) and hit £100 in a freebie which meant I could go up straight away a few levels even though I had not actually put the hard work in to get there. Tend to aim for about 65/70% success rate on these games and you will see an increase even though its slow.
    My bankroll has stalled somewhat recently.(in fact my biggest increase was for my cash for points last month!) You get spells like it. Take time away and refresh yourself. I had a month off due to 11 pocket pairs being beat on the cash bubble by 11 other lower pocket pairs in consecutive games. Put me on tilt and lost 5 more games due to playing like a muppet. Stick to your comfort zone. I cant stress this enough. My bad run happened on the £5.50's and although my bankroll is sufficiently high enough to play £11.00's and below I still wont go that far very often and tend to stick in my own comfort zone of £3.30 with only the occasional £5.50 or £11.00 if the site is quiet and the tables aren't filling up as fast as i'd like.

I also like to find a time where I wont get distracted. For example, my son is coming back from his grans in the next half hour so I am about to play at £1.15 in case he comes back and i have to be 'away' for a while. cant risk things like that with a fiver at stake.

One last thing, I tend to move down to the micro stakes after 7pm. Why? Because of the poor quality of the majority of the opponents after this time. People tell me that this is the standard of the player you would want to meet but in a DYM one donk call by an idiot can cost you the cash. with 5 donks on a table, your gonna get busted. I lose more  games after 7pm than at any other time of the day but on the whole I am in profit on the site, strange that. (I do keep a record of this because it started to bug me as to why I cash plenty during the day but not in the evening.)

But then again, perhaps I am the donk and the evenings are full of quality players.

P.S. I watched you in the freebie where you won £20 from about 70th place up. Very impressive. 
  • edited October 2009
    Told ya, sons just turned up. Didn't even get chance to register!!!! Too busy gassing
  • edited October 2009
    Cheers man, very good advice, I'm now gonna just play games at that "micro level" you speak of. See how that goes for a while then maybe move up if I feel right.

Something you said in your first post about moving up a level you will play better players, I think this is only at the very highest limits £22 and above, I often scope players before I play, not all the time but sometimes and amazingly I've found fish who are willing to play at the £3.30/£5.50 level which is truly astonishing as they have ROI's of about   -15-20% but persist with losing money...

Anyways thanks again,

P.S just won my first DYM at 30p level, and I bad beat someone else !!
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Did I play this right?:
    Cheers man, very good advice, I'm now gonna just play games at that "micro level" you speak of. See how that goes for a while then maybe move up if I feel right. Something you said in your first post about moving up a level you will play better players, I think this is only at the very highest limits £22 and above, I often scope players before I play, not all the time but sometimes and amazingly I've found fish who are willing to play at the £3.30/£5.50 level which is truly astonishing as they have ROI's of about   -15-20% but persist with losing money... Anyways thanks again, P.S just won my first DYM at 30p level, and I bad beat someone else !!
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Personally I found the standard jump up at £11.00 qnd above dramatically. However, there still is a higher standard on 3.30's compared to 30p's. However this may have more to do with the stakes. At 30p people dont care if their 7 2 off gets bust by aces. They will call because its fun to see flops and play cards.

Watch out on the micro's, you really do get some amazing play. Play tighter than you can imagine and you generally are ok. You can literally cash by only playing monsters or decent cards in position. Remember raises are genrally not repsected but you must raise with premium hands. Get away cheap if you miss that flop.

Remember all in with kings or aces from any position and any blind level. You'd be surprised at how often you get called with rag aces at 15/30 level binds and an all in shove.
  • edited October 2009
    Problem is my Kings will definitly be cracked by the A2 call....
  • edited October 2009
    Also just been playing 30p DYM recently and play seems not a lot different to £3.30, guess the Recession was a lie.
  • edited October 2009
    The latest installment....
    SCOOBY52 Small blind  10.00 10.00 1910.00
    kb245 Big blind  20.00 30.00 1980.00
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • Q

jammesque Call  20.00 50.00 1960.00
    MmacC Fold     
    kellymj Fold     
    Dudeskin8 Raise  80.00 130.00 1880.00
    SCOOBY52 Fold     
    kb245 Call  60.00 190.00 1920.00
    jammesque Call  60.00 250.00 1900.00
    Flop

kb245 Check     
    jammesque Bet  250.00 500.00 1650.00
    Dudeskin8 Raise  625.00 1125.00 1255.00
    kb245 Fold     
    jammesque Call  375.00 1500.00 1275.00
    Turn

• A

jammesque Bet  260.00 1760.00 1015.00
    Dudeskin8 Call  260.00 2020.00 995.00
    River

jammesque All-in  1015.00 3035.00 0.00
    Dudeskin8 All-in  995.00 4030.00 0.00
    jammesque Show
    • A

Dudeskin8 Muck
    • Q
    • Q

jammesque Win Flush to the Ace 4030.00  4030.00
  • edited October 2009

Just unlucky, 4 x bb at first level and he tried his arm with a rag ace, if he misses, he's still got loads of chips. If he hits big, he's safe for the tourney.

Your re raise post flop was asking the question to him and he gave you the reply. Yes, he may have been chasing but from there onwards, you really needed to tread carefully and the ace on the turn should have sealed it.

By the turn, he knew he had you hooked and were not gonna fold, hence the all in on the river.

You really knew by this time it was a crying call and you were beat.