You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

AK, 5x raise facing 85 bb shove preflop.

edited June 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Posted a hand recently asking what to do with AK facing 3bet and it was defo shove from everyone but here there's obviously no fold equity so is just flatting off the shove a little tilty/spewy or just standard at this level.

budyzer Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £3.41
teddy991 Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £3.96
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • K

Aralin999 Fold        
Dudeskin8 Raise   £0.20 £0.26 £7.04
jonah54 Call   £0.20 £0.46 £4.46
budyzer All-in   £3.41 £3.87 £0.00
teddy991 Fold        
Dudeskin8

Comments

• edited June 2011
    IMO totally player dependant, but am only really folding at these levels if I have a reason to believe he has A's or K's as am happy to flip vs any other hand.

For money I care about and standardised play it would be a snap fold in a cash game though, mainly due to cold calling the 3bet and not wanting to flip for real money, with no advantage.

So I guess if your just playing your A game, grinding BR, it might be a fold.

Bus as I say player dependant.  If you think he does it even remotely light, or a strong but worse A, snap.
  • edited June 2011
    Re-raise all in.
  • edited June 2011
    shove , reload
  • edited June 2011
    standard shove really no reads get it in!
  • edited June 2011

Its a shove, I don't particularly like it but it just has to be done.

• edited June 2011
    So basically even though I'm probably a slight dog a lot of the time to any pair you would still say this is +EV over time?
  • edited June 2011
    yeah, he'll show up with AQ and random stuff sometimes, and you are calling 3.20 to win 3.80 assuming other guy folds so I think its a shove
  • edited June 2011
    Yep he will obv have AA and KK sometimes which sucks, sometimes pocket pairs maybe as low as 88+ which we are a slight dog but I have seen a lot of random Ax hands do this which I think ends up making this profitable. 
    Wouldn't it be nice to be able to search our history by starting hands!!!
  • edited June 2011

if no notes then all in and make notes

• edited June 2011
    This is a fold. What exactly are you beating? No way he's got AQ - he's got a pocket pair (a pair of deuces is beating you) and quite possibly the dreaded aces or kings. You've come to play poker and I assume you've sat at a table where you have some edge over your opponents. Grind that edge out, don't go for a knockout punch.
    {As an aside, do you think Phil Ivey would call YOUR 85 BB shove with AK? No chance. He's a better player than you and would allow that skill to work its way through over time}.

I suspect that some of the answers are blinded by the stakes. If this were a £2/£4 game would people still be recommending a call for £341? Some would, some wouldn't.
  • edited June 2011
    The stakes are important when discussing the hand, you can't just ignore them.

Although in this hand it's prob a nailed on call at every level. 

I don't think Ivey would fold here ;)

Put him in the same situation in a tourny and he might, but this is a cash game, he has more than 1 life.

• edited June 2011
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: AK, 5x raise facing 85 bb shove preflop.:
    This is a fold. What exactly are you beating? No way he's got AQ - he's got a pocket pair (a pair of deuces is beating you) and quite possibly the dreaded aces or kings. You've come to play poker and I assume you've sat at a table where you have some edge over your opponents. Grind that edge out, don't go for a knockout punch. {As an aside, do you think Phil Ivey would call YOUR 85 BB shove with AK? No chance. He's a better player than you and would allow that skill to work its way through over time}. I suspect that some of the answers are blinded by the stakes. If this were a £2/£4 game would people still be recommending a call for £341? Some would, some wouldn't.
    Posted by BigBluster
    Show me Phil Ivey folding AK pre against one opponent. Ivey would snap this, he can reload and still use his skill advantage. Part of your edge over your opponent is making marginally +EV calls, and Im pretty sure this is +EV, although not by much.

He has a lower pocket pair a high % of time, but he has Ax and random carp far more than KK+. We also are not paying even money to flip with him
  • edited June 2011
    LOL so I think I get it now....

Dudeskin8 Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £4.03
    kevcoke69 Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £3.80
    colin72120 Sit out        
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • A

JINKIE7 Raise   £0.08 £0.14 £5.13
    camjam Fold        
    plater0516 Fold        
    Dudeskin8 Raise   £0.28 £0.42 £3.75