You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Sky Roller AK facing donkbet

edited June 2011 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
FITF3 Small blind   75.00 75.00 6880.00
NewZefFlow Big blind   150.00 225.00 8852.50
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • K

villain Raise   600.00 825.00 6605.00
offshoot Raise   1950.00 2775.00 8342.50
Deldog Fold        
toproof8 Fold        
FITF3 Fold        
NewZefFlow Fold        
villain Call   1350.00 4125.00 5255.00
Flop

villain Bet   300.00 4425.00 4955.00
offshoot Raise   900.00 5325.00 7442.50
villain Call   600.00 5925.00 4355.00
Turn

villain Bet   600.00 6525.00 3755.00
offshoot ?

Comments

• edited June 2011
    sometimes its incredibly annoying working the slider in tourneys or trying to type in amounts while multitabling(as evidenced by misclicking on my exit hand), i tried to raise more on flop but timer was running out, i was trying to make it 1300, thoughts? Should i give up on turn or continue firing? villain's betsizing is obviously lol so is it questionable trying to bluff someone who might be unbluffable or do you think someone who donkbets like this is gonna fold if i raise turn again?
  • edited June 2011
    Oh the slider woes, know the feeling

Have we got any reads?

The donk lead on the turn is obviously one of three:

1)  Absurd bluff
    2)  Bet to induce
    3)  Blocker bet with a marginal holding.

The second is less usual when he can just check as you have taken the betting lead on the flop and he can expect another bet from you on the turn.  Readless I'm putting him on one of the other two options.  The problem is 'if he has the third option, will he fold?'  With the pot the size it is I'm worried he won't fold weak tens, pocket pairs sixes to nines etc.

Without reads I'm probably flatting the turn to reassess on the river.  Amazingly we do have some showdown against other unpaired aces which I think show up here as well, we have two overs and a gutshot as well.
  • edited June 2011
    the thing is, you only beat a bluff

unless you have reason to believe he is donk betting with nothing to push you off hands, you are probably better folding and be happy when he donk bets into you when you hit the flop - if he doesn't he probably wasn't donk betting with nothing here

of course if you have reads to suggest otherwise it can be different but with no reads, i think folding flop is best play over time

• edited June 2011
    With their stacksize and the pot i dont think their folding, dont like going over the top here

if you think he has top pair then maybe call with few to bluff or bink on river, eg. rep higher card

as played i'd prob just fold doesn't look like the villain is going away, i have a feeling they have a hand like Jacks
  • edited June 2011

id fully expect 66 thru to 99.

the only thing that would make me wanna jam here is cos we have misclicked flop which kinda should make it an easier ship as hes prob peeling super light to the 600 flop raise.

also if we believe that all of our 10 outs are good then I'd def ship as that + fold equity probably makes it +ev
  • edited June 2011

You certainly can't fold flop???

Or turn....

I'd prob call both.
  • edited June 2011
    playing allot more lower stakes now, I see these bets all the time.
    Some villans do it with air and draws, i think in this case its not a draw with 3 bet pre, also seen it done with the nuts.  They think this is best way of building the pot, they then mash pot button on river or over bet pot.
    Hand for villan? 88ish looks very likely. 
    will he fold 88? If you set him all in maybe.
    I keep stupidly trying to make people fold marginal hands.  It gets to me when you get villans range right but they dont/cant fold.
    What you think his range is for 4x pre and calling 3bet?

• ybyb
    edited June 2011
    3bet smaller imo

I would call flop and turn, I don't think trying to get a random to fold 55-99 is a good idea.
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: Sky Roller AK facing donkbet:
    playing allot more lower stakes now, I see these bets all the time. Some villans do it with air and draws, i think in this case its not a draw with 3 bet pre, also seen it done with the nuts.  They think this is best way of building the pot, they then mash pot button on river or over bet pot. Hand for villan? 88ish looks very likely.  will he fold 88? If you set him all in maybe. I keep stupidly trying to make people fold marginal hands.  It gets to me when you get villans range right but they dont/cant fold. What you think his range is for 4x pre and calling 3bet?
    Posted by freechips1
    probably 55-JJ. Maybe some paint cards aswell like AQ/AJ.

• edited June 2011
    JJ i think he gets it all in on flop.
    I would have to call turn and hope to bink on the river.  Obv if you miss dont try and bluff at it.
    If he has AQ AJ hands he may well check river, ha, was gonna say i doubt he has AJ but it is not out of the question.
    I have gotta stop doing same as you have done, well if (raise turn) nobody can fold, "ffs im a nit just fold ur underpair"
  • edited June 2011

3bet less ip with these stacks

I prob flat flop, I dont think theres any point in raising unless you make it at least 2k

as played flat turn

• edited June 2011
    I truly hate these situations and often struggle with them.
    Either the guy donk betting is a really great player or a really poor one. Either way, do you want to play back at him? I tend to just let these go, thinking that it's not wise to (semi) bluff someone who's almost certain to call you. 

In this particular hand, I'd call the turn and hope to snag something on the river. God only knows what his range is - almost anything is possible here, A2s, TJ, 88...... It's hard to put him on a hand you're beating though.

Sorry I can't be more helpful! I look forward to hearing the definitive answer to this.

{PS: this is the kind of situation they should show on the poker clinic, instead of the usual..."I've got AK in the small blind, only 6 bigblinds worth of chips, facing a 3x button raise" scenario.}

• edited June 2011
    either scared or monster with a bet like that i feel
    Don't think he is folding after calling your raise then he leads turn :s

set or overpair - think you need to fold
    really feels like an induce for you to shove or raise - could be blocker but the bet is too small
  • edited June 2011
    forgot about this. I flatted turn like most people advised, missed on the river, he minbet, i called, he had 77. Really annoying. Im still unsure whether i could make him fold by shoving.