You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

REBUY OPEN- 10/20 facing all in? fold or call

edited June 2011 in The Poker Clinic

Right the villain in this hand i had played a few pots mainly because i was raising their blind, generally they would call my raise then bet out, i float they check i bet turn they fold. this happened a few times before this hand... now has he got an ace here? i suspected not cos why would he shove??
Ill prob word better later but really tired so sorry about random words/sentences

what would you do?
stukojak1 Small blind  1250.00 1250.00 45283.75
Big blind  2500.00 3750.00 52660.00
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • K

HAYSIE Fold     
tallytink Fold     
YOUNG_GUN Raise  6366.00 10116.00 60440.25
stukojak1 Fold     
Call  3866.00 13982.00 48794.00
Flop

• A

Check     
YOUNG_GUN Bet  6991.00 20973.00 53449.25
xAll-in  48794.00 69767.00 0.00
YOUNG_GUN Fold     
Muck     
xWin  27964.00  27964.00
Return  41803.00 0.00 69767.00

Comments

• edited June 2011
    check back flop. we have position and we aren't getting value from worse and we don't need to protect our hand so just check.

if the turn was like a J and it was checked to me then I might bet for value.

basically by betting flop here we are turning our hand into a bluff.  i like a bet here if your raised pre with like J8s but not with a hand with show down value.
  • edited June 2011
    btw well done on ur cash very nice result.

oh and as played fold. :)

pre is fine.  anything between 5k - 6.5k is good here.
  • edited June 2011
    oh and if we were OOP then I prob lead here with KK on an A 9 2 r as checking OOP we are giving up but with positon theres no need to bet as we can see the turn for free/pot control
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: REBUY OPEN- 10/20 facing all in? fold or call:
    check back flop. we have position and we aren't getting value from worse and we don't need to protect our hand so just check. if the turn was like a J and it was checked to me then I might bet for value. basically by betting flop here we are turning our hand into a bluff.  i like a bet here if your raised pre with like J8s but not with a hand with show down value.
    Posted by scotty77
    Cheers scotty thats a fantastic point here, i sort of did turn my hand into a bluff trying to protect it but dont know why lol. put myself in a awkward spot here really had to fold because its for most my tourney life and its the new thing to shove with the nuts innit :P
  • edited June 2011
    fantastic posts scotty again.
  • edited June 2011
    Well you can't call lol and yes no point betting out as only called by an ace.
  • edited June 2011
    raise bigger pre if he keeps calling

check back flop, as played easy fold
  • edited June 2011
    my raise was big at this stage of a tournament! 2.54 raise is more then sufficient, i had raised more then my standard min raise or 2.1 because he had called a couple times. i want him too call obviously
  • edited June 2011
    sorry, misread stacksizes in this one, pre is fine
  • edited June 2011
    no problem mate i do that HH rubbish here :P
  • edited June 2011
    I dont mind the lead fold, youre giving yourself a strong chance to pick it up, plus if you read that a check will induce a bet with non A hands you need to bet it.
  • edited June 2011
    I dont mind the lead fold, youre giving yourself a strong chance to pick it up, plus if you read that a check will induce a bet with non A hands you need to bet it.
    Posted by AMYBR
    that makes no sense
  • edited June 2011
    Not to you maybe. 

If you feel that oppenent will auto bet a non A hand, induced by you checking the flop, then the lead gives you value/info/protection vs all non A hands.

If you think opponent is easily capabable of firing into your ambivalence to the A high board then I dont mind the lead fold as it polarises the range.  If you check and he bets out, against certain players I dont always fold.  Also dont want to go check check, and be confused by a delayed VB on turn.  If he's really solid I'm c/f flop, but as I say I dont mind the lead fold against a looser player.

It might not be what you'd do bud, but it does make sense.

Thankyou for the PM, but I think a break is just in the offing for a while.
  • edited June 2011
    AMYBR what he is saying is if you check you are in position so its not going to induce a bet so to speak as the villain is oop for the next 2 streets. In hindsight this is how i should of played it as scotty says for pot control also with some showdown value/keep hands that were crushing in aswell
  • edited June 2011
    hero is ip

villain probably more likely to lead turn than call flop with most of his non A hands. If checking induces I would think check flop call turn is much better than bet flop on a board like this.

I can see reasons to bet flop sometimes also.

what do you think bet/fold flop polarises his range to?
  • edited June 2011
    Yep another quality misread by me, my apologies gents.  It does make no sense :p

• edited June 2011
    hero is ip villain probably more likely to lead turn than call flop with most of his non A hands. If checking induces I would think check flop call turn is much better than bet flop on a board like this. I can see reasons to bet flop sometimes also. what do you think bet/fold flop polarises his range to?
    Posted by grantorino

Just takes away any doubt in my mind that I'm behind, rather he comes over the top of a show of strength than be left wondering on a delayed turn V/b.  But I do likely check behind also.