You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Different slant on online poker rigged vs running bad/BL

edited June 2011 in Area 51
I have a real obsessive compulsive tendancies, which I always feel is s double edged sword as a poker player.
I have been runningly just godawfully for about a month now, but prior to this my hands were hoilding up in big pots for a significant period of time, making huge gains

Just got me thinking along the lines of statistica/probability and each end of the spectrum.  Some of my main concerns with online poker has always been in how I see the action play, it doesnt seem to run as standard.  But conversely after the month I've just experienced, it makes me question my perceptions on both (as have seen alot of less than 1%'s come through flop live.

So I've just got to wondering if some of the people (potentially myself included) who have misgivings surrounding online poker are simply at one end of a perpetual bad luck cycle.

People will argue that solid play and playing within a BR will always result in the best players rising to the top.  There is truth in this for a proportion of players, but it is not true for the whole spectrum of players.

God awful players can hit a low end heater for a lengthy period, where somebody playing really solid poker can languish as a losing player perpetually.

Along the spectrum of players there will be abnormalities.  Example being:

Man 1 crashes his car 250 times in his life and perceives himself as unlucky.  Man 2 crashes twice in his life, consider himself lucky.  But in fact neither are either.  They are just at opposite end of the spectrum, however remaining within the source statistic.

So all the people (or some) who end up having comcerns regarding online poker may fall into this simple low end spectrum of players who simply run bad, play regardless.  Whereas those that really havent experienced the equivalent amount of "run bad", would not really fully appreciate that spectrum of players perspective.

But if you are in the low end of the spectrum, with the odds and action smacking you in the face over and over, it would be easy to look for some kind of rationale, ie bogus software.

I imagine strong arguments will be made in regard to BR and quality of play correcting for this.  And for a large part of the spectrum of players this is true.  But just based on simple statistical analysis, there will be people who fall outside of the "normal" experience.

Maybe that is what some of us are.

Just my thoughts.

Comments