You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

flopped nuts omaha tournament question

edited June 2011 in The Poker Clinic
recently i have been playing alot of omaha and very sucessfully in cash but cant cash in MTT's. Yesterday i had a hand like AA67 double suited. I raised and another player reraised and got two callers so i flat. The flop comes down 5H8H9S. I flop the nuts but have not hearts or spades. I pot raised and was reraised and by the time i had to make a call i had to go all in or fold against two players so i call. Even before i make the call im guessing im up against a set and a nut flush draw.

It turns out one player had 99XX and the other AH10HXX and running kings on the turn and river means i lose to the full house. Am i right to risk my whole tournament with all the danger cards in the deck.

Comments

• edited June 2011
    welcome to the world of freerollin..in omaha sumone can easily be freerollin u with the nuts and re draws to higher nut hands.. in this case they only were drawin to higher  nut hands  ...but this is a game of controllin the pot ..for this exact reason.. ur hand is NOT goin have much equity once all-in  even tho u have ' the nuts'..
  • edited June 2011
      You were asked 2 questions on this hand. Firstly preflop you have a very good and very playable hand so you were right to raise.When it is reraised and has another 2 callers then you have the choice of trying to get all the money in there or just taking a flop. With the strength of your hand i do not mind the idea of getting it all in pre because your hand only plays well multiway if you hit and hit it big whereas a 4 bet pre and you are liable to get several folders and play it more than likely HU rather than multiway.

On the flop you flop the nuts but effectively you have dead nuts due to the fact that you are looking to see runner runner blanks to take it down on such a draw heavy board.You can easily be up against a set/ flushdraw TJ or any combination of all of these let alone up against the same nut hand you have. So you have a lot of cards to avoid in a hand where you may only be splitting it anyway.

So on that flop with the dead nuts and multiway action in front, for me it is a snap fold. In NLHE only an idiot would fold the nuts but in PLO folding the dead nuts on the flop is one of the greatest skills around and will save you a lot of money/chips over time.
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: flopped nuts omaha tournament question:
      You were asked 2 questions on this hand. Firstly preflop you have a very good and very playable hand so you were right to raise.When it is reraised and has another 2 callers then you have the choice of trying to get all the money in there or just taking a flop. With the strength of your hand i do not mind the idea of getting it all in pre because your hand only plays well multiway if you hit and hit it big whereas a 4 bet pre and you are liable to get several folders and play it more than likely HU rather than multiway.   On the flop you flop the nuts but effectively you have dead nuts due to the fact that you are looking to see runner runner blanks to take it down on such a draw heavy board.You can easily be up against a set/ flushdraw TJ or any combination of all of these let alone up against the same nut hand you have. So you have a lot of cards to avoid in a hand where you may only be splitting it anyway.   So on that flop with the dead nuts and multiway action in front, for me it is a snap fold. In NLHE only an idiot would fold the nuts but in PLO folding the dead nuts on the flop is one of the greatest skills around and will save you a lot of money/chips over time.
    Posted by Talon
    yes yes yes, talon you word things so clearly and make things so obvious, i was hoping someone would say that i have about a 40% chance of winning with the chance a trebling so i had odds, just about. I think that PLO is a great game and i think i just need to become more deciplined. Thus far thank you for all your advice as i have been profiting from it so i am very greatful.

leon