You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Carlo Citrone right or wrong in this situation?

edited June 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Hi guys.

This is a hand that was shown on mastercash last night and it has bugged me all night long after hearing Carlos comments saying that im losing value by folding in this spot in the long run.

If it had been a tourny i would be jamming here everytime but in a cash game i think the play is to fold here.

I respect Carlos views and know without doubt he is a very good player but as we all know "nobody is right all the time" and the more i thought about the hand my thinking is that i am saving cash in this situaton in the long run and not losing it.

Just wanted to throw it over to the players on here to find out their views on the hand and to get a majority rule.

TYIA Jenny.

Hand History #383513021 (22:50 18/06/2011)PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceOzzie08Small blind £0.15£0.15£67.92muhammedBig blind £0.30£0.45£40.78 Your hole cardsQQ   jenny_IYYRaise £0.90£1.35£161.57corbett04Fold    avemariaCall £0.90£2.25£66.04LnarinOOFold    Ozzie08Fold    muhammedFold    Flop  472   jenny_IYYBet £2.25£4.50£159.32avemariaRaise £5.20£9.70£60.84jenny_IYYRaise £8.70£18.40£150.62avemariaRaise £30.00£48.40£30.84jenny_IYYFold    avemariaMuck    avemariaWin £22.94 £53.78avemariaReturn £24.25£1.21£78.03

Comments

• edited June 2011
    Hi guys.

My orig post didnt show stack sizes which were Jenny £161.57  and avemaria £66.04
  • edited June 2011
    2 overs + FD is all i can see we beat imo.
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: Carlo Citrone right or wrong in this situation?:
    2 overs + FD is all i can see we beat imo.
    Posted by The_Don90

So are you saying fold in this situation don or jam it in ?
  • edited June 2011
    I watched the hand live and saw she had 7 8 (hearts) and think she played it really bad, i think you made a tough fold but a good fold, and your stack kept growing over the night so shows you were obviously playing right, good game
  • edited June 2011
    I dont know result, but i assume you were winning Jenny.

Regardless, i think it is a fold readless because its very unusual for a 4 bet on the flop to be worse than your hand, unless the villain is overvaluing a hand or is a complete idiot.

Good luck on the tables.

• edited June 2011
    Yea i think its a fold over time their repping a set or AK spades. Both your a dog to. Although in some situations i will call if i have reads. Clearly our opponent from above comment i know their hand so clearly our opponent is over valuing TPBK.
  • edited June 2011
    I think when he raises you, you should think straight away am I going all the way here or not.

To then raise again means you want to get it in so to fold after 3betting on flop is pretty bad as you're raising for information and that should NEVER happen.
  • edited June 2011
    I think when he raises you, you should think straight away am I going all the way here or not. To then raise again means you want to get it in so to fold after 3betting on flop is pretty bad as you're raising for information and that should NEVER happen.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Totally dont understand the raising for info "should never happen" part of your reply post dudeskin becase i think if anything raising for info "SHOULD" happen here and after he 4 bets over the 3 bet i would be folding everytime here.

Most of the time QQ is beating very little after these betting patterns and the times it is beating your opponant should mean he is by far a worse player than you 99% of the time and he will be doing his cash in later hands anyways.

Fold and wait for better spot SIMPLZZZZZ
  • edited June 2011
    I think when he raises you, you should think straight away am I going all the way here or not. To then raise again means you want to get it in so to fold after 3betting on flop is pretty bad as you're raising for information and that should NEVER happen.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Ideally, but they are quite deep, and the 3 bet can be seen as a raise for value rather than for information imo.

The 3 bet does not mean we must stack off imo. The villain may or may not know what a 3 bet normally means! we are readless i believe.

I would prob flat rather than 3 bet personally. But as played, i think it was the correct fold.

• edited June 2011
    I'll admit I don't have massive experiance in the area as the level I play at QQ on that board is the nuts lol but at levels where bluffing is more common I think it's better to let the guy keep bluffing on future streets.

Raise folding 29 bb's doesn't feel right to me somehow.
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: Carlo Citrone right or wrong in this situation? : Ideally, but they are quite deep, and the 3 bet can be seen as a raise for value rather than for information imo. I would prob flat rather than 3 bet personally. But as played, i think it was the correct fold.
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    If it's a raise for value then doesn't that mean the hero thinks they have the best hand and hence prepared to get it in or am I confusing raising for value ?
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: Carlo Citrone right or wrong in this situation? : If it's a raise for value then doesn't that mean the hero thinks they have the best hand and hence prepared to get it in or am I confusing raising for value ?
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    We are betting because we believe our QQ should be ahead here (betting for value) But, when the strong 4 bet comes in, why cant we change our mind?

I know that people say you should never 3 bet fold in spots like this. But maybe on this occasion we are deep enough to justify it.?

I imagine i will be told im wrong and that 3 bet folding here is evil.

• edited June 2011
    I can't see how many big blinds she has but anyway I think like you said earlier flatting is the best option then folding followed by raising.
  • edited June 2011
    Remember Jenny only has 1 pair here and i think the 3 bet was to get more info and not for value as someone might have said. With that in mind what more info could she get than a 4 bet up to £30 or so and then the QQ dosnt look very big at all.

Fold move on imo :)
  • edited June 2011
    I can't see how many big blinds she has but anyway I think like you said earlier flatting is the best option then folding followed by raising.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    at the start of the hand villain is 220bbs deep. Hero has them way covered.
  • edited June 2011
    Carlo was swayed by seeing the cards.

fwiw heres what I wrote in the show thread

one of the biggest problems that people face in poker is folding overpairs to the board.

you made a great fold that given the action would be correct a large amount of the time. 

don't be results orientated.  espeically as the guy didn't outplay you.  he overplayed his hand.  the villain int eh hand with 78 on a 7 5 3 (I think) board made a bet that was never gonna get called by a worse hand.

if he had made the same bet with say K9 on a 753 then you can say that he outplayed you but on that kinda board with his hand, then in the long run he will be outplaying himself but totally unaware of it
  • edited June 2011
    Not sure I like to 3-bet/fold the flop, if i 3-bet i'm 5-bet shoving a 4-bet

I'd probz call and re-evaluate the turn, I don't mind the fold, probz -EV in long term though. 
    If a straightening/flushing card comes on turn he's likely to get scared aswell and action will slow down, but don't think i like folding that weakly to an unknown opponent at low limits. But like i said, it isn't the worst play. 

This is the sort of hand where most options are available, 3-bet folding is weak but acceptable(ish), 3-betting with the intention of getting it in is fine, and flatting to re-evaluate the turn is also fine! 
  • edited June 2011
    I can't fold here, scared poker if you think the guy always has a set.
    If you soul read it for a set then hey wp

Most of the time he will be showing you 10's, J's or  2 overs and FD.
    So you could say he would be more likey to show up with a hand your beating than a hand you not.

AA/KK very possible but action pre does not indicate this, AK spades more likely or scared mid pr.

Also gotta say when you bet the flop and he raises you and then you fire back, here you just can't fold.
    Raising here for information is very bad imo, better off just to flat and see what comes on the turn.
    If your always doing "raising for info" then players will pick up on this and make moves against you with air.
    So he could have nothing :s
    Also I don't think you raise is big enough when you fire back, he probably see this as weak and made a move

• edited June 2011
    your either drawing to 2 outs or in front of AKs with two card to come if turn is a spade your dead to 1 out as the Qs will be no good fold IMO and next hand.
  • edited June 2011
    If villain is competent Im not that happy getting 220BBs in with QQ on this board

Imo flat the flop raise. I hate 3bet/fold because for it to be good we need to know he calls often with worse but only raises with better. This is not realistic against an unknown (or most players) so Im either flatting flop or raising with the intention of getting it in
  • edited June 2011
    Ok guys.

These were my thoughts on it at the time and even more so now.

The options i had in my mind were

1. Fold to his raise on flop (which was never going to happen because he could have anything and be looking at my continuation bet as just a standard play.

2. Push all in or raise with the intentions of pushing to a reraise ( which was also never going to happen because in my opinion i had nowhere near enough info to be doing that with only 1 pair and it seems a MTT play in all honesty).

3. Flat call and take it from there depending on turn card which was possible but it also dosnt give me anymore info at that point as to how strong he is and i decided to not do this incase another scare card came on turn and i really wouldnt know where i was in the hand with only 1 pair facing poss flushs, straights, sets etc.

4.(Which is what i did) 3 bet his raise to see how strong he was at that point in time, because in my opinion most players with a draw or top pair/overpair etc will only call in that spot and only very strong hands would 4 bet me there most of the time as my hand now is screaming big pocket pair and in my mind only a very small % of players would be good enough to know they can push me off my hand or bad enough to think that anything less than what i was holding was good enough to be infront at that point.

I feel certain that my play is +ev long term and would love to hear Carlos thoughts again now he has had time to take another look at it and bearing in mind like scotty says above i cant see the other players cards.

Either way Carlo i still think your the man and a very good player and like i said earlier everyone has diferent ways of playing hands and i respect all your thoughts and comments :)

Anyways. ty for all of your replys and good luck to you all at the tables

Jenny.

• edited June 2011
    So you raised for info and got the wrong information? and people still question why this strategy is bad! As the hand played out i think your fold is fine but thats only cos you played the flop so badly. Just flat the flop and make decisions on the turn and river. You make it seem like its so hard to play QQ on a 7 hi board.

• edited June 2011
    So you raised for info and got the wrong information? and people still question why this strategy is bad! As the hand played out i think your fold is fine but thats only cos you played the flop so badly. Just flat the flop and make decisions on the turn and river. You make it seem like its so hard to play QQ on a 7 hi board.
    Posted by offshoot

Surely flatting flop is the weaker play and gives your oppo chance to hit draws etc ?

Playing it the way she did at least lets her find out if she is facing a made hand there and then instead of flatting and prob costing her more to find out on the turn because if a blank comes she is none the wiser at that point and if a draw hits there are even more hands to worry about.

The way it played out i think it was 1 in 100 that the oppo did what he did with a weaker hand and flatting flop seems so nitty to me although it is another way she could have played it.

• edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: Carlo Citrone right or wrong in this situation? : Surely flatting flop is the weaker play and gives your oppo chance to hit draws etc ? Playing it the way she did at least lets her find out if she is facing a made hand 
    Posted by rentisdue
    Raise - folding QQ in this spot is a waste of a good hand.
    If you are going to 3 bet fold these kind of spots, much better to do it with hands that have missed and have little or no equity.
    (BTW, I don't think the fold is terrible, once you have 3b and they have 4b)

The thing about being 200BB's deep, is you have to be prepared to play 3 streets with marginal hands against opponents who like to mix it up.
    It sucks that you are out of position, and it makes the spot more difficult, but it's a good board for you, and there are lots of hands the opponent can have, that we beat, and which we can get lots more value from.

Is calling the raise a weak play?
    No.... but the biggest problem with flatting is, because you are OOP, if you check the turn the opponent can take a free card to improve / hit their draw.
    Still not a disaster for you.... you then know they aren't that strong, and if a scare card comes on the river you can check call. (Or bet / fold).
    You are not necessarily getting good value for your hand, but that's one of the hazards of playing out of position.