You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Am i doing this wrong?

edited June 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Hi,

Im fairly new to online poker and have been playing on SKY Poker (at the small stakes) for around 3 months.

Ive watched a lot of poker and tried my best to follow the tips. I generally play quite tight and try to stick to premium hands, but do mix it up sometimes to shadow this a bit. My thoughts are that this should at the very least equal to me winning something with some sort of profit more than loss, but im just not winning. Im constantly feeling "unlucky" (as im aware many others players do). 

Anyway, rambling a little. I lost around £10 today through countless hands that i honestly beleive to be very similar to the one below. 

Forgot to add - The guy had been calling raises and shoving all in come flop throught the time i was sat at the table.

Any tips, am i doing something wrong ??

Hand History #383709126 (16:56 19/06/2011)PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceSHARKS494Small blind 300.00300.009522.51elmico18Big blind 600.00900.005435.41 Your hole cardsAQ   m60_oh_YEAHRaise 1800.002700.006277.08VILLAGEIDIFold    steppiFold    prsprsFold    SHARKS494Fold    elmico18Call 1200.003900.004235.41Flop  396   elmico18All-in 4235.418135.410.00m60_oh_YEAHCall 4235.4112370.822041.67elmico18Show9J   m60_oh_YEAHShowAQ   Turn  A   River  J   elmico18WinTwo Pairs, Jacks and 9s12370.82 12370.82

Comments

• edited June 2011
    14BB deep I prob just shove pre, raise to 2.5BB intending to call a shove is prob ok too

Flop is fine
  • edited June 2011
    The only thing you did wrong in this particular hand is not shoving pre IMO. I'm open shoving with 15BB or lower, you don't want to be raising, missing a flop and then being confused to where you are, just generally spewing. If you shove, you pick up 900 chips, may not look like alot but it's adding more than 10% to your stack. 
  • edited June 2011
    Thanks to you both for the comments, they both make good sense. I will learn from that and play it different next time :)
  • edited June 2011
    I would of just straight shoved pre depending on what game your playing? was it a DYM? as the blinds have got big, i'd just shove and the bloke shouldnt be calling with jack 9 anyway, UL that you hit top pair and still got outdrawn on the river
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: Am i doing this wrong?:
    I would of just straight shoved pre depending on what game your playing? was it a DYM? as the blinds have got big, i'd just shove and the bloke shouldnt be calling with jack 9 anyway, UL that you hit top pair and still got outdrawn on the river
    Posted by corn_rat22
    It was an MTT.

Im still confused as to why the way im playing is not reaping any sort of profit. I seem to be (obviously) losing more than im winning, but the losses always seem to be marginal hands where i actually look back at them and think i didnt exactly play it too wrong. Im currently in two minds to either sticking with it or giving up the moment. Had many hands lost similar to this one today (in both cash and MTT), its got me frustrated !! 
  • edited June 2011
    If you're mainly playing MTT's trying to make profit, you can't orientate your results from the past 5/10 or even 50 tournaments. You can go months without getting anywhere, and then you can just win one and shoot to a massive profit, as long as you play your hands correct and make your opponents make the mistakes, you'll eventually make a profit! 
  • edited June 2011
    yip as said before just make life easy for yourself and open shove your 8k and put the decision to them. GL
  • edited June 2011
    Sorry to come back on this again, just the thoughts im having on the advice.

So bascially with a stack of my size vs the blinds im only going to be wanting to play premium hands and im not really going to "play" them, i want to be shoving pre flop as standard ??
  • edited June 2011
    Only read OP but I openjam pre.  I have no other play here.
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: Am i doing this wrong?:
    Sorry to come back on this again, just the thoughts im having on the advice. So bascially with a stack of my size vs the blinds im only going to be wanting to play premium hands and im not really going to "play" them, i want to be shoving pre flop as standard ??
    Posted by m60_oh_YEAH
    Once you get to less than 15BB yes. Remember its easier to shove than call a shove - an extra 900 chips to your stack is worthwhile & AQ is good enough.

Be careful though not to do this with much worse as this will increase your variance - if u start shoving 14BB with A7 etc - expect a big chip lead or an early bath.
  • edited June 2011
    Big thanks to the people who gave me advice in here.

I just made a final table :)
  • edited June 2011
    Ploppy is right an extra 900 is a huge boost to your stack and if your lucky and playing a bounty hunter you get laggy callers from hands like Ace 10 and King Queen suited, which you have crushed, dont give them a chance to see a flop with a rag hand like Jack 9, nice to hear you made a final table, WD