You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

thoughts??

edited June 2011 in The Poker Clinic
I have already mentioned this hand to a few people on the forum, with the majority saying fold......but my arguement is that the villain is widely know for being very laggy. I have 12 bb's and have been bullied by the table for a number of orbits. I'm 43rd in the primo with 30 cashing when I get this hand, It's blind on blind action.....my notes on the villain indicate to me that he would shove on me with any 2 here, especially as I had been very nitty for the whole tourney as well as being a nit in general! I won't say who who the villain was but should i just fold here or was I right to draw a line in the sand???? All constuctive criticism wanted or abuse put yourselfs in my spot......easy fold? call?
xSmall blind  200.00 200.00 5288.00
waller02 Big blind  400.00 600.00 4908.00
  Your hole cards
  • A

Alkurt Fold     
nervesof Fold     
shawsok Fold     
oldrectory Fold     
xAll-in  5288.00 5888.00 0.00
waller02      

Comments

• edited June 2011
    Sounds like a snappity snap call to me.

In fact I'd be hovering over the call button just waiting to pounce.
  • edited June 2011
    Depends how much you reallllyyyy want to cash, if cashing isn't a big deal it's a 100% shove with the notes you have on villain IMO.
  • edited June 2011
    a cash would have been nice obv...but i had sat in, I dont wanna fold for a min cash I wanna get up to a NICE cash.....ppl were telling me it was an easy fold...how???? only YG said it was a snap call.
    The call was purely villain dependant also, I will reveal who the villain was in a bit, sure he wot mind cos everyone knows his game
  • edited June 2011

I'd be looking for a reason to put me off calling, rather than a reason to put me off folding.

It's a standard call v most decent players, a fold v nits, and definitely a call against a good aggressive player.

I suspect the people u spoke to about the hand r all deepstack nits :P

YG has got 1 right ;P
  • edited June 2011
    hey jj, i lost got busted, the villain was haysie, me and YG totally agreed the call was right and nobody else did, I'm sure haysie wont mind if he spots this, everyone knows his game, I was gutted bout the call dont get me wrong just couldnt stand ppl saying the call was wrong! easy to say when you're not not the one in my spot
  • edited June 2011
    Well yeh, the only argument I can see for folding is if you are determined to lock up a min cash, which would basically turn the primo into a satellite situation.

In that instance it's clearly a snap fold. 

Id like to see these people that are so adamant it's a fold, justify why they think it's a fold.....
  • edited June 2011
    JJ, I was one that said i would probably fold after waller explaining.

reasons i said i would fold cause

1) I would rather be the person shoving with A5 for my tournament then calling off with a rag A

2) 12bb in an anteless tourney is enough to find a better spot

3) it was mentioned how close it was to the cash and i said i would be looking to lock up the cash by continuing to play how waller said he had been playing as a nit then re-evaluating once the min cash is locked up while shoving 77/88/99/TT/JJ/QQ/KK/AA and AJ/AQ/AK with A10 being thrown in maybe

4) I also said I can see why he called as was mentioned villian and his obvious range BvB

5) it depends what your gut is telling you and how much that min cash would do to your BR
  • edited June 2011

MIF

Money in First.

(A5 is not a great hand to be calling off with... its easliy dominated, and its never a huge favourite against anything, at best 60/40)

I would usually fold. The exception being when someone is taking the micky by bashing my bb every single round. In which case i spite call, knowing im ahead of his range.

But, when i do make these spite calls, although i am ahead often, they often hit.

I would much rather wait for a shoving spot myself. and with 12bbs we can wait a round or 2 imho.

My fold has got nothing to do with wanting to mincash, it it just a former dym grinders reaction to calling off with raggy aces... urgh....

• edited June 2011
    I take the point about locking up a cash and the bankroll issues involved, but if you're trying to go deep in the tourny, you just can't fold this imo.

I'd find it hard to fold it readless, it's pretty much impossible to fold with that read, and that villain.

Similar to young guns bubble on the roller thing, but this is much more clear cut.........

What did he have anyway? not that it matters  . . . . . .
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: thoughts??:
    I take the point about locking up a cash and the bankroll issues involved, but if you're trying to go deep in the tourny, you just can't fold this imo. I'd find it hard to fold it readless, it's pretty much impossible to fold with that read, and that villain. Similar to young guns bubble on the roller thing, but this is much more clear cut......... What did he have anyway? not that it matters  . . . . . .
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    doh the call wasnt readless, that was my whole point. he had 77, i was out but think i made the right call against the villain in question?????
  • edited June 2011
    Unless your determined to min cash, this is a standard call IMO, you're ahead of the guys range. But people have different opinions on tournaments, I don't mind putting my chips at risk, I'm not one of these that are just going to wait and wait for the perfect spot, if i think i have a good chance of being a mathematical favorite I call/shove.
  • edited June 2011
    As you mentioned last night you satelitted in, and have been on a bit of a bad streak lately and "desperately needed to cash" in that case i would fold and wait for a better spot with 11 bigs behind and 3/4 off the cash, even if the opponent was Haysie, fold and wait to get your money in first
  • edited June 2011
    I'm a nit so would have to have seen him shoving a few times to make this call.

Overall though I'd much rather just let it pass and continue to shove with air as when I'm calling off I like to be a little more asured than a rag ace.
  • edited June 2011
    with your reads this is an easy call