You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

right call in the long run?

edited June 2011 in The Poker Clinic
been on the table about 45 mins, player had been very aggro leading out in pos/ 3betting etc, although never seen him do this in a hand. dream flop but with c +c i wanted to build the pot (was this right/enough). horrible turn, then he shoves. 10 j crossed my mind as did a split pot. was it right to call?BENDOG40Small blind £0.20£0.20£39.40realarmasBig blind £0.40£0.60£71.13 Your hole cards87   mattlessRaise £1.20£1.80£37.55bigsidFold    pod1Raise £3.60£5.40£38.38BENDOG40Fold    realarmasCall £3.20£8.60£67.93mattlessCall £2.40£11.00£35.15Flop  1069   realarmasCheck    mattlessCheck    pod1Bet £5.50£16.50£32.88realarmasCall £5.50£22.00£62.43mattlessFold    Turn  8   realarmasAll-in £62.43£84.43£0.00pod1All-in £32.88£117.31£0.00realarmasUnmatched bet £29.55£87.76£29.55realarmasShowKJ   pod1Show87   River  K   pod1WinStraight to the 10£85.96 £85.96PrevClose windowPrevClose window

Comments

• edited June 2011
    Against him yh hes an idiot
  • edited June 2011
    I'm confused, am i right in saying you have a straight and are only getting beat by JQ at the time of the call? or J7? Easiest call in the history of easiest calls, the fact he lead shoves the turn makes it even easier, if that's possible. 
  • edited June 2011
    haha perc couldnt be more right, i'd never EVER fold here
  • edited June 2011
    i know what your saying percival, but that 60 in a 20 pot, im only doing that with the nuts! is that type of play in your game?
  • edited June 2011
    I don't understand what you're asking me? 
    You're only shoving £60 into a £20 with the nuts? What? Think i'm too tired
  • edited June 2011
  • edited June 2011
    Only read OP and the chat about £60 into £20 pot so sorry if covering old ground.

Have noticed this tendancy so much lately, the picking up of draw + pair or multi draws @ turn then the money just going in from the drawer OOP.  It has merit in most pots as you're only getting called by the minority of hands, with having huge equity to improve if your opponent has one of the hands that will call you.

But its just so kamikaze.  Yes its horrible to c/c or lead calling of raise then having to bluff or c/f on the river to the brick.  But where's the finesse????

I respect the move/approach in many ways, but its not my game.
  • edited June 2011
    it aint in my game either bud, thats why i put the hand up. yes i called because its the right thing to do. just spooked me a bit when he did what he did.
  • edited June 2011
    Pod1 wasnt the one who shoved lol he is saying the opponent has shvoed £60ish into a pot that is £20 and he wondered whether in the long term it is + ev

I'd say in the long run vs a random its probably not a good call, but against this villain its defo right call in the long run

WP other then choosing to 3 bet with 78o
  • edited June 2011

never ever folding here against this villain.  snap snap snap

• edited June 2011
    i assume he was talking about the call pre

with no reads on villain i would say fold 87o to a re-raise pre
    obviously you are not folding after the flop
  • edited June 2011

vs this guy call call call all day!

• edited June 2011
    thanks yg, that was the answer i was looking for. glad someone is on my wave length. with regards to the pre flop play on the prev 3 orbits he had raised from that pos and was nicking my button raise so just put the reraise in to slow him down a bit.  phil
  • edited June 2011
    So he can't have three hands strong enough to open in a 6-max cash game three orbits in a row? lol I'd like the 3-bet if you had more info on opponent
  • edited June 2011
    your awake then!  of coarse he can, and to be fair i have played him a few times in the past. surley its not a bad thing to put a reraise in from time to time if you do start to notice patterns like this to keep them in check. was playing with dantb on friday night and he is a nightmare for doing it. and let me point out before you jump in, at no point am i comparing myself to him, but after playing with him, gerrard, tommyd hursty over the weekend i have learnt alot, mostly that the 2 cards in front of you arnt always the most important thing.
  • edited June 2011
    lol i'm not criticising you, i'm saying it was a good play. Chill! 
  • edited June 2011
    im sorry percival, but i dont see the bit were you think it was a good play! i just see "cant he have a good hand 3 orbits in a row lol" im not looking for a pat on the back, just some feedback on the call after the turn. i am chilled honest, its my birthday and im sat here with a fillet steak on the go and a bottle of shampers. sorry if you thought i was getting necky. phil
  • edited June 2011
    I made original raise with a small pp I believe hence my call pre and then getting out of dodge, as far as call is concerned v this oppo is a defo call, in fact against at least 80% of players at this level its a call imo.

Just as an aside my exact note against this player is "overbets draws"
  • edited June 2011
    your right mattless, he went busto 20 mins later on a draw again. my notes on him are very similar just with a swear word in it!!
  • edited June 2011
    if u think about it hes only actually putting ur stack in and the 60 pound makes it look a bit stronger cz its the same if he bets 35 if u get my drift i never folding here but i think his jam looks weaker cz he wudnt oplay the nuts this way
  • edited June 2011
    3bet pre is bad with villain in hand. If it was just against opener it might be ok

Turn is the snappiest of snapcalls
  • edited June 2011
    Pod i was on this table he was very loose i snap call him in this spot every time he may have a set or what he had gut shot and flush draw but u r 68% fav to win on the turn you cant fold v this guy in that spot