You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Rebuys in MTTs. Yes or No?

edited June 2011 in The Poker Clinic
I've done OK in a few small stakes MTTs recently. Probably just running hot:)

In some of them re-buys and top-ups are allowed and I've drunk at that trough occasionally. I've justified it to myself as the equivalent of topping up to the max buy in in a cash game. Another justification is where the 1st place has paid a significant multiple of my total outlay.

Am I just making a virtue of a necessity or are rebuys anathema to "propper" poker players?

Comments

• edited June 2011
    It is what it is.  I dont have anything against rebuys.

They just dont suit my style of play, as in your rebuying you either are playing bad or got pretty unlucky.  On either basis I dont like coming back in, likely slightly tilted and always coming back in way below or chasing average stack.

Prefer double chances, if I'm looking at a rebuy.
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: Rebuys in MTTs. Yes or No?:
    It is what it is.  I dont have anything against rebuys. They just dont suit my style of play, as in your rebuying you either are playing bad or got pretty unlucky.  On either basis I dont like coming back in, likely slightly tilted and always coming back in way below or chasing average stack. Prefer double chances, if I'm looking at a rebuy.
    Posted by AMYBR
    Take your point on the rebuys when you've been cleaned out - I've certainly been that soldier and I agree, you're always on the back-foot. What about adding on either at the break to ladder up or re-buying when you dip below the starting stack to give you a bigger balance for the occasional all-in?
  • edited June 2011

I dont normally rebuy, i will wait for 1st break then get an add on, if i go bust before first break then so be it
  • edited June 2011
    I dont normally rebuy, i will wait for 1st break then get an add on, if i go bust before first break then so be it
    Posted by Crunchybob
    I'm a relative novice (6months) - mostly micro-cash - and I'm certainly coming round to your way of thinking, Bob. I do think there's a case for re-buying early if you get unlucky and your rebuy's not far behind the average stack though.

I was wondering whether the community reckons re-buys are a weakness long term.
  • edited June 2011
    It depends on the structure of the tournament, just because it's a rebuy alot of sites abuse the structure so it increases fast and bad play, and therefore more people will rebuy. If it has a good structure, i just treat them the same as a freezeout, and i would always rebuy because it would be easily within my br if i played it. also if you do play rebuys, my advice would be to always add-on, even if you build a massive stack and it only adds 10% to your stack, it's worth it. 
  • edited June 2011
    It depends on the structure of the tournament, just because it's a rebuy alot of sites abuse the structure so it increases fast and bad play, and therefore more people will rebuy.

Can you explain what you mean by good/bad structure, percival? I've heard the phrase but I'm not sure what it means?
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: Rebuys in MTTs. Yes or No? :
    It depends on the structure of the tournament, just because it's a rebuy alot of sites abuse the structure so it increases fast and bad play, and therefore more people will rebuy. Can you explain what you mean by good/bad structure, percival? I've heard the phrase but I'm not sure what it means?
    Posted by Prop60
    Bad structure would be blinds increasing very fast like 3 minutes or something like that which forces players to either shove pre or fold by the 20 odd minutes stage and also drag the rebuy period for as long as possible to maximise profit and prizepool and to reduce any real poker. Also what i would consider bad structure is to add an ante at certain stages which increase the amount of players trying to steal the blinds and this is a complete mess.

good structure would be blinds increasing alot slower like 10-15 minutes. The rebuy period is to the first break which should not exceed an hour and the number of rebuys is capped to say no more than 1 or 2

this is just my opinion of course.
  • edited June 2011
    if you think you have an advantage over other players you should always rebuy where possible unless you have the biggest stack at your table

Whether an add on is worth taking depends on your stack. Whether you should rebuy if broke probably depends on other stacks. Very rarely play them though so could be wrong on all tis
  • edited June 2011

I'd rebuy straight away to play a double stack, then rebuy double again if I bust earlyish - say the first half an hour. If I went past that and a double rebuy only put me around average I don't think I'd bother.

The rebuy structures on sky are really slow, so it doesn't play out like a shove-fest or anything, and going mental early wont really be worth it, as people wont be willing to gamble with you, you'll just nick loads of blinds till someone finds JJ+ AQs+ and inevitably go bust, it'll just get expensive.

Can gamble on big draws n stuff though, accept flips etc. 

• edited June 2011
    I'd rebuy straight away to play a double stack, then rebuy double again if I bust earlyish - say the first half an hour. If I went past that and a double rebuy only put me around average I don't think I'd bother. The rebuy structures on sky are really slow, so it doesn't play out like a shove-fest or anything, and going mental early wont really be worth it, as people wont be willing to gamble with you, you'll just nick loads of blinds till someone finds JJ+ AQs+ and inevitably go bust, it'll just get expensive. Can gamble on big draws n stuff though, accept flips etc. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    As would I, but do Sky allow you to rebuy straight away? I haven't played so not sure
  • edited June 2011
    Thanks for all the advice and comments folks.

I like Dohhhhhh's strategy of rebuying as soon as you drop below the threshold - I've used this but only to allow me to be "away" while the blinds are low if the timing of the tourney start clashes with tea time or something equally urgent!