You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

WHAT CAN I DO 2 PLAY PROPER POKER!?

edited June 2011 in The Poker Clinic

is it me or does anyone eles feel players on this site are a joke! ive just gone out of a game with pocket Kings! the blings were 25/50 i raised to 900, 2 players called, the flop came J, 9, 6, i called 3500 all in one player folded the other called, he had 9 8 off suit, turn & river came 9, J

what am i suppose 2 do there?? i could of gone all in pre flop but what happens 2 me is someone with call with A anything and hit there A so didnt want that 2 happen

i did call all in Yesterday with AA and someone  called J2 suited and they hit a flush!!!

i just dont  know  what  2 do, i watch sky poker on sky and here the pro's saying they will lose more often than they will win and it just a bad beat but its happening all the time!

i just feel im never going 2 play a proper game of poker unless im playing the pro's

opinions and advice needed.....

Comments

• edited June 2011
    In Response to WHAT CAN I DO 2 PLAY PROPER POKER!?:
    is it me or does anyone eles feel players on this site are a joke! ive just gone out of a game with pocket Kings! the blings were 25/50 i raised to 900, 2 players called, the flop came J, 9, 6, i called 3500 all in one player folded the other called, he had 9 8 off suit, turn & river came 9, J what am i suppose 2 do there?? i could of gone all in pre flop but what happens 2 me is someone with call with A anything and hit there A so didnt want that 2 happen i did call all in Yesterday with AA and someone  called J2 suited and they hit a flush!!! i just dont  know  what  2 do, i watch sky poker on sky and here the pro's saying they will lose more often than they will win and it just a bad beat but its happening all the time! i just feel im never going 2 play a proper game of poker unless im playing the pro's opinions and advice needed.....
    Posted by MUFC-CLINT

The blinds were 25/50 ? and you raised pre to 900 ?   in answer to your question the first thing you do is stop raising 18 bbs pre and as far as the rest goes just be happy with the other guys play. in the long run you win more than he does.
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: WHAT CAN I DO 2 PLAY PROPER POKER!?:
    In Response to WHAT CAN I DO 2 PLAY PROPER POKER!? : The blinds were 25/50 ? and you raised pre to 900 ?   in answer to your question the first thing you do is stop raising 18 bbs pre and as far as the rest goes just be happy with the other guys play. in the long run you win more than he does.
    Posted by rentisdue
    +1 why are you raising 18bb pre?
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: WHAT CAN I DO 2 PLAY PROPER POKER!? : +1 why are you raising 18bb pre?
    Posted by waller02
    Sorry the guy before me raised to 300 from 50, i re raised it to 900! that wasnt the guy tho who had 8 9 tho so after the flop the guy who had pre flop raised folded
  • edited June 2011
    If you can make it 18xBB and generate a call holding K's you should be laughing.

What these two say here is odd.  Yes dont over commit weak, but getting called there with K's is AOK.
  • edited June 2011
    If you can make it 18xBB and generate a call holding K's you should be laughing. What these two say here is odd.  Yes dont over commit weak, but getting called there with K's is AOK.
    Posted by AMYBR
    +1 if your getting called by 98OS then this is fine IMO.

I do have my own theory about the amount of beats people get on this site. Lets face it players on this site will limp with garbage and then call a shove with that garbage and J5OS beats AK suited more often than you realise, For this reason i think people believe there is an issue with the RNG and not that this site harbours more fish than a harbour and so the apparent bad beats increase in volume in comparison to other poker games/sites.

To answer your question about how to play 'proper poker'. stay away from bounty hunters.
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to WHAT CAN I DO 2 PLAY PROPER POKER!?:
    is it me or does anyone eles feel players on this site are a joke! ive just gone out of a game with pocket Kings! the blings were 25/50 i raised to 900, 2 players called, the flop came J, 9, 6, i called 3500 all in one player folded the other called, he had 9 8 off suit, turn & river came 9, J what am i suppose 2 do there?? i could of gone all in pre flop but what happens 2 me is someone with call with A anything and hit there A so didnt want that 2 happen i did call all in Yesterday with AA and someone  called J2 suited and they hit a flush!!! i just dont  know  what  2 do, i watch sky poker on sky and here the pro's saying they will lose more often than they will win and it just a bad beat but its happening all the time! i just feel im never going 2 play a proper game of poker unless im playing the pro's opinions and advice needed.....
    Posted by MUFC-CLINT
    obv move up levels so. If you really think playing pros is better than guys who coldcall 3bets for 20% of the effective stack with 98o and a player still to act, then call an overbet shove on flop with 2nd pair no kicker you should go for it. You might get to play more "proper" poker but you will get to win a lot less (or lose a lot more) money

Remember everytime these guys make these calls its like they are giving you money
  • edited June 2011
    Definitely stay away from bounty hunters. I played my first one in a long time the other night and this happened...
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    hhyftrftdr Small blind  30.00 30.00 3791.25
    rufino12 Big blind  60.00 90.00 2370.00
     Your hole cards
    • J
    • Q

ALEX29 Call  60.00 150.00 5353.75
    garymccoll Fold     
    richtea Raise  180.00 330.00 1020.00
    alans Fold     
    hhyftrftdr Fold     
    rufino12 Call  120.00 450.00 2250.00
    ALEX29 Fold     
    Flop

• Q

rufino12 Check     
    richtea Bet  300.00 750.00 720.00
    rufino12 Call  300.00 1050.00 1950.00
    Turn

rufino12 Check     
    richtea All-in  720.00 1770.00 0.00
    rufino12 Call  720.00 2490.00 1230.00
    rufino12 Show
    • J

richtea Show
    • J
    • Q

River

rufino12 Win Three 3s 2490.00  3720.00
  • edited June 2011
    I don't understand the above comment, why not play them then? If there's so many fish surely you want to play more with them?
    As to the original poster, go play on any site and you'll see no different. Obv some other sites have a general higher quality of players but you'll still get the same % of suckouts as on here, because it isn't rigged. 
  • edited June 2011
    I don't understand the above comment, why not play them then? If there's so many fish surely you want to play more with them? As to the original poster, go play on any site and you'll see no different. Obv some other sites have a general higher quality of players but you'll still get the same % of suckouts as on here, because it isn't rigged. 
    Posted by percival09
    If you want to play bingo play bounty hunters, the standard of play is awful. I'm probably biased because i'm almost exclusively a cash player, where if a player pulls a move on you like this you can just reload and take it all back off him. In a tourny you're gone, and left with a very bitter taste in your mouth...
  • edited June 2011
    I don't understand the above comment, why not play them then? If there's so many fish surely you want to play more with them? As to the original poster, go play on any site and you'll see no different. Obv some other sites have a general higher quality of players but you'll still get the same % of suckouts as on here, because it isn't rigged. 
    Posted by percival09
    my comment, dont play them if you want to play proper poker is about the original post. If you play bounty hunters then you need to expect players getting there money in behind sometimes. As you say this kind of tournament has alot of fish in them and the percentages are fair and will show the same results on all other sites, i agree with this. Now you say with there being so many fish playing this tournament then you want to play them, however if you get your money in 70% up say 3 times and lose one of them (which is expected) you may  now be out, short stacked or tilted. If you play a typical tournament then most of these hands dont get to showdown and the poker played can be considered more 'proper'
  • edited June 2011

What is proper poker? Or what is your perception of proper poker?

Answer that then I'll tell you where to find it.
  • edited June 2011
    If you can make it 18xBB and generate a call holding K's you should be laughing. What these two say here is odd.  Yes dont over commit weak, but getting called there with K's is AOK.
    Posted by AMYBR
    can you explain why my post is odd, I thought he had opened the pot with an 18x raise which will surely lead to less value in the long run as more often than not you wont get a customer.

i didnt realise his 900 raise was a 3 bet to a raise of 300, which is fine.
  • edited June 2011
    It never ceases to amaze me that people dont want to play fish or get their money in as favourites

Playing these kind of players can be frustrating, but these type of players provide the bulk of your winnings. Poker is a game with huge varance. Its a skill game with huge luck involved in the short term, people need to realise this and just get on with it. Everytime a fish calls you with 25% equity or whatever he  basically gives  you money so be happy about it

It might be more interesting to play better players but its waaaay less profitable. Poker is about adjusting to the players you play. If you cant adjust to deal with bounty hunter fish good luck trying to play against good regs
  • edited June 2011
    It might be more interesting to play better players but its waaaay less profitable. Poker is about adjusting to the players you play. If you cant adjust to deal with bounty hunter fish good luck trying to play against good regs
    Posted by grantorino
    I guess you're responding to my post. I agree with the first sentence, and the second. Don't understand the third with regards to the hand I posted, and I hold my own against good regs tyvm.
  • edited June 2011
    It never ceases to amaze me how many people on this site fail to read and understand a post
  • edited June 2011
    It never ceases to amaze me how many people on this site fail to read and understand a post
    Posted by leon621
    lol why do you think people are talking about your post?
    i don't know about grantorino but i was referring to richteas post which clearly suggested not playing the BH because of the fish!
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: WHAT CAN I DO 2 PLAY PROPER POKER!? : lol why do you think people are talking about your post? i don't know about grantorino but i was referring to richteas post which clearly suggested not playing the BH because of the fish!
    Posted by percival09
    sorry my 2nd comment was not aimed for you but my 1st one was, as i thought you were talking about my post as i mentioned fish and other sites on my comment, which you include as answering richtea's comment which did not mention other sites or fish
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: WHAT CAN I DO 2 PLAY PROPER POKER!? : I guess you're responding to my post. I agree with the first sentence, and the second. Don't understand the third with regards to the hand I posted, and I hold my own against good regs tyvm.
    Posted by richtea
    Wasnt particularly responding to your post richtea. I'm just saying if someone cant work out how to play profitably against fish in a bounty hunter they will certainly have trouble playing good players. Playing against fish in mtts though you will encounter huge variance. I would also think even if a player beats the good regs in your games the majority of their profit will come from fish
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: WHAT CAN I DO 2 PLAY PROPER POKER!? : my comment, dont play them if you want to play proper poker is about the original post. If you play bounty hunters then you need to expect players getting there money in behind sometimes. As you say this kind of tournament has alot of fish in them and the percentages are fair and will show the same results on all other sites, i agree with this. Now you say with there being so many fish playing this tournament then you want to play them, however if you get your money in 70% up say 3 times and lose one of them (which is expected) you may  now be out, short stacked or tilted. If you play a typical tournament then most of these hands dont get to showdown and the poker played can be considered more 'proper'
    Posted by leon621
    I assume you were referring to me not understanding this post.

With regard to the first sentence being able to play well against fish is a huge part of being a "proper" poker player as its where most of your profit will come from

If you get your money in 3 times as a 70% favourite you will expect to lose once true, but whats your point? If you are out that sucks, if you are shortstacked or tilted deal with it. You should want to get your money in as a 70% favourite. Variance will bite you more often the more you get it in, but its a long term game and you will win more the more often you get it in good, and you are going to have to run well to win any mtt.

If you are playing better players you mightnt get your stack in as often, but you wont get it in with as much equity either

I kinda get what you are saying in that people will get it in lighter in a BH and you are going to suffer more beats etc. If you want to avoid them fine, but so many of the reason you want to avoid them will be there in most tourneys anyway unless you are playing pretty big buy ins, and they should be pretty profitable if they play the way people seem to think
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: WHAT CAN I DO 2 PLAY PROPER POKER!? : I assume you were referring to me not understanding this post. With regard to the first sentence being able to play well against fish is a huge part of being a "proper" poker player as its where most of your profit will come from If you get your money in 3 times as a 70% favourite you will expect to lose once true, but whats your point? If you are out that sucks, if you are shortstacked or tilted deal with it. You should want to get your money in as a 70% favourite. Variance will bite you more often the more you get it in, but its a long term game and you will win more the more often you get it in good, and you are going to have to run well to win any mtt. If you are playing better players you mightnt get your stack in as often, but you wont get it in with as much equity either I kinda get what you are saying in that people will get it in lighter in a BH and you are going to suffer more beats etc. If you want to avoid them fine, but so many of the reason you want to avoid them will be there in most tourneys anyway unless you are playing pretty big buy ins, and they should be pretty profitable if they play the way people seem to think
    Posted by grantorino
    i love playing fish, it is where most of the profit is made, and i love playing bounty hunters. The point i was making is expect people to be very loose and fishy in this particular tournament. I will use the word luck here, if you win a MTT you have had to be abit lucky, but to win a bounty hunter you have to be even more lucky IMO. I was getting my point across that if this kind of thing frustrates you and you dont believe that poker should be played this way then dont play bounty hunters.
  • edited June 2011
     Didnt mean any of my posts to be having a go at you, I get the point you are making. I just dont think having lots of fish getting their money in bad is a reason NOT to play in a game.

• edited June 2011
     Didnt mean any of my posts to be having a go at you, I get the point you are making. I just dont think having lots of fish getting their money in bad is a reason NOT to play in a game.  
    Posted by grantorino
    your right its not a reason not to play as long as you accept the nature of the game
  • edited June 2011
    im with richtea on this one.

give me a table full of regs over a small bounty hunter any day of the week.
    the ridiculous level people will go for your bounty really destroys the enjoyment for me.  yes they are fish. yes they will lose but i would much rather enjoy the game im playing and rely a little more on luck than the average bounty hunter fish.

op - dont be naive about moving up and playing pros...they will most likely eat you alive (they are pros for a reason remember)
    keep getting it in good....thats all you can do.  if you dont like that about tourneys then try cash
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: WHAT CAN I DO 2 PLAY PROPER POKER!? : can you explain why my post is odd, I thought he had opened the pot with an 18x raise which will surely lead to less value in the long run as more often than not you wont get a customer. i didnt realise his 900 raise was a 3 bet to a raise of 300, which is fine.
    Posted by waller02
    Hey Waller.

Yeah i didnt realise it was a 3 bet either, because he only corrected it afterwards, origonally indicating it was a cold raise of 18bb's.

But since you ask, on the basis of the origonal sentiment:  Yes 18BB's would be losing value in long run with a hand as strong as K's.  But if your sat at a fishdonk table where you feel you'll get called for 18BB's, using the table dynamic as rule of thumb, then its a great bet.  Simple rule with K's and A's, get as much as your stack across the line with 1 caller pre as possible. If you sized your bet to get called for 18bigs, table depending, then happy days.
  • edited June 2011
    What is proper poker? Or what is your perception of proper poker? Answer that then I'll tell you where to find it.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    i wanna play were someone isnt gonna call a raise of 300, then a re raise to 900 with 8 9 off suit
    D4rkHorse Small blind  10.00 10.00 2830.00
    JD1987 Big blind  20.00 30.00 2580.00
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • K

MUFC-CLINT Call  20.00 50.00 3540.00
    WISHAW Call  20.00 70.00 2950.00
    THEROCK573 Call  20.00 90.00 2940.00
    jameswwfc Call  20.00 110.00 3050.00
    D4rkHorse Call  10.00 120.00 2820.00
    JD1987 Raise  20.00 140.00 2560.00
    MUFC-CLINT Raise  100.00 240.00 3440.00
    WISHAW Fold     
    THEROCK573 Fold     
    jameswwfc Call  100.00 340.00 2950.00
    D4rkHorse Fold     
    JD1987 Raise  160.00 500.00 2400.00
    MUFC-CLINT Raise  160.00 660.00 3280.00
    jameswwfc Call  160.00 820.00 2790.00
    JD1987 Raise  160.00 980.00 2240.00
    MUFC-CLINT Raise  160.00 1140.00 3120.00
    jameswwfc Call  160.00 1300.00 2630.00
    JD1987 Raise  160.00 1460.00 2080.00
    MUFC-CLINT Call  80.00 1540.00 3040.00
    jameswwfc Call  80.00 1620.00 2550.00
    Flop

• J

JD1987 All-in  2080.00 3700.00 0.00
    MUFC-CLINT Call  2080.00 5780.00 960.00
    jameswwfc Call  2080.00 7860.00 470.00
    Turn

MUFC-CLINT Check     
    jameswwfc Check     
    River

MUFC-CLINT Check     
    jameswwfc Check     
    JD1987 Show
    • Q

MUFC-CLINT Muck
    • K
    • K

jameswwfc Muck
    • J

JD1987 Win Straight to the Queen 7860.00  7860.00
    Next

this is a hand thats just happened. when he calls all in on the flop im thinking Aces or AJ KJ AK not Q3
    i called cause if i get beat by aces far enough but the fish hits a straight and im out again
  • edited June 2011
    What is proper poker? Or what is your perception of proper poker? Answer that then I'll tell you where to find it.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    i wanna play were someone isnt gonna call a raise of 300, then a re raise to 900 with 8 9 off suit
    D4rkHorse Small blind  10.00 10.00 2830.00
    JD1987 Big blind  20.00 30.00 2580.00
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • K

MUFC-CLINT Call  20.00 50.00 3540.00
    WISHAW Call  20.00 70.00 2950.00
    THEROCK573 Call  20.00 90.00 2940.00
    jameswwfc Call  20.00 110.00 3050.00
    D4rkHorse Call  10.00 120.00 2820.00
    JD1987 Raise  20.00 140.00 2560.00
    MUFC-CLINT Raise  100.00 240.00 3440.00
    WISHAW Fold     
    THEROCK573 Fold     
    jameswwfc Call  100.00 340.00 2950.00
    D4rkHorse Fold     
    JD1987 Raise  160.00 500.00 2400.00
    MUFC-CLINT Raise  160.00 660.00 3280.00
    jameswwfc Call  160.00 820.00 2790.00
    JD1987 Raise  160.00 980.00 2240.00
    MUFC-CLINT Raise  160.00 1140.00 3120.00
    jameswwfc Call  160.00 1300.00 2630.00
    JD1987 Raise  160.00 1460.00 2080.00
    MUFC-CLINT Call  80.00 1540.00 3040.00
    jameswwfc Call  80.00 1620.00 2550.00
    Flop

• J

JD1987 All-in  2080.00 3700.00 0.00
    MUFC-CLINT Call  2080.00 5780.00 960.00
    jameswwfc Call  2080.00 7860.00 470.00
    Turn

MUFC-CLINT Check     
    jameswwfc Check     
    River

MUFC-CLINT Check     
    jameswwfc Check     
    JD1987 Show
    • Q

MUFC-CLINT Muck
    • K
    • K

jameswwfc Muck
    • J

JD1987 Win Straight to the Queen 7860.00  7860.00
    Next

this is a hand thats just happened. when he calls all in on the flop im thinking Aces or AJ KJ AK not Q3
    i called cause if i get beat by aces far enough but the fish hits a straight and im out again
  • edited June 2011

lol is this hand for real!!!!

pre flop is just comic genius!!!!!!

you limp with kings, then keep min rasing to the 3 bet 4 bet up to 7bet i believe!

once you get the 4 bet just stick the lot in!!!

you have all played the hand awfully bad imo

where do i find tables like this?!?

• edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: WHAT CAN I DO 2 PLAY PROPER POKER!? : i wanna play were someone isnt gonna call a raise of 300, then a re raise to 900 with 8 9 off suit 
    Posted by MUFC-CLINT
    I'll give you a game heads up, and I promise I will not do this! :P
  • edited June 2011
    I dont know if i have ever seen that much action PF lol!!! Seriously you need to open raise with KK!!

As played do what Waller says and stick it all in after the 4 bet!
  • edited June 2011
    Stop supporting mufc,lol.