You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

£1 Deepy, major loss hand & exit hand on bubble

edited June 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Busted smack bang on the bubble of this tourney, good sign that my positioning is improving in these.......although im not sure I should have really gotten this far. Had a good run of cards tbf and a little bit of luck......although there were some coolers such as set over set that I lost, and a flush over straight.

Anyway one turning point in the tourney was the below hand where i was dealt 77 UTG, I raised for 3x with 2 callers CO and SB. Flop comes 10,8,9. Small bet from SB led me to believe they were weak and I raised to the tune of half the pot trying to get either a fold (too small??) or a call to peal off another card with my outs probably stacking the turn.

As it turned out I got put all in after my raise........was the call as bad as I think it was even though I had Open ended straightdraw and obviously any 7. I did know I would be behind with the call, so my sense tells me it was awful......confirmation please and anyway I should have played this hand differently?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
squary Small blind  100.00 100.00 7070.00
loonytoons Big blind  200.00 300.00 16140.00
  Your hole cards

tapeworm Raise  600.00 900.00 7863.75
kitten3273 Fold     
steve63 Call  600.00 1500.00 19527.50
RAFA01 Fold     
squary Call  500.00 2000.00 6570.00
loonytoons Fold     
Flop

squary Bet  200.00 2200.00 6370.00
tapeworm Raise  1400.00 3600.00 6463.75
steve63 Fold     
squary All-in  6370.00 9970.00 0.00
tapeworm Call  5170.00 15140.00 1293.75
squary Show

tapeworm Show

Turn

River

squary Win Full House, 8s and 9s 15140.00  15140.00

The second hand is my exit hand smack bang on the bubble. There was another shorty on the other table with around the same stack. Everyone at my table was folding pretty much everything except the best of cards, although the raise looney gives me in the SB was the 3rd orbit in a row he had raised me from the SB. Am I correct to shove here......not bothered about cashing I wanted 1st place.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
loonytoons Small blind 800.00 800.00 39027.50
tapeworm Big blind  1600.00 2400.00 14940.00
  Your hole cards
  • K

woolford08 Fold     
dragonboyz Fold     
loonytoons Raise  20800.00 23200.00 18227.50
tapeworm All-in  14940.00 38140.00 0.00
loonytoons Unmatched bet  5060.00 33080.00 23287.50
loonytoons Show

tapeworm Show
  • K

Flop

Turn

• Q

River

• Q

loonytoons Win Two Pairs, Queens and 2s 33080.00  56367.50

Comments

• edited June 2011
    Hand 1- pre flop is fine. Post flop, the donk lead is usually weakness but your reraise is too big. Make it 800ish. More than that you fold out weaker hands and when you get reraised it's easier to get away from or cheaper to call to try to hit. As it is, a weak donk lead followed by an all-in reraise(correct because of your reraise size) screams of strength. You've got 25bbs left so a fold here is good as you've got plenty of chips. I never like to call on a draw, especially as you're not getting the odds to hit.

Hand 2- In this scenario, you'll have to have the best hand at showdown to win so calling here isn't that bad but I'd prefer to be the one shoving with this hand so I'd fold. You'll have 9bb's left in the small blind which is plenty to shove with,especially if it's folded to you in the small blind.
  • edited June 2011

Hand 1, Why are you raising the flop?  Your hand sux! I'd probably just flat as his lead is so small, but I'm only really looking for a 6, you could just fold.

Hand 2, Is a good call imo. If he's playing overly aggressive from the small blind a big King is gonna be ahead alot of the time.
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: £1 Deepy, major loss hand & exit hand on bubble:
    Hand 1, Why are you raising the flop?  Your hand sux! I'd probably just flat as his lead is so small, but I'm only really looking for a 6, you could just fold. Hand 2, Is a good call imo. If he's playing overly aggressive from the small blind a big King is gonna be ahead alot of the time.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Is my hand that bad? lol!!!

My thoughts were along the lines that the oppo has a tiny peice of the flop or missed completely with such a small bet, I can raise to get them to fold, or see another card with my OESD.........this is obviously bad thinking- why?
  • edited June 2011
    with the first hand, even if he has a piece of the action his going to ahead of ur 77s...

u end up putting ur tourny on the line chasing cards. id of folded after that flop and move on.

2nd hand is just a classic race which u lose. ul
  • edited June 2011
    yeah fair points. I will try to be more disaplined and fold in spots like these in future
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: £1 Deepy, major loss hand & exit hand on bubble:
    with the first hand, even if he has a piece of the action his going to ahead of ur 77s... u end up putting ur tourny on the line chasing cards. id of folded after that flop and move on. 2nd hand is just a classic race which u lose.
    Posted by Crunchybob
    A donk lead is often a sign of second pair(in this case sixes) so I don't mind a reraise to 800 to see what happens, especially with the pre flop betting lead.If he calls you reassess on the flop. As soon as he reraises I'm outta there having lost the minimum(ish).
    Agree with folding, especially on a draw. Dohhhhhs idea of flatting with massive odds to hit your draw is not something I'd have considered but I can see it's merits.
  • edited June 2011
    hand 1

dont re-rasie the flop - you are probably behind and he's made a mistake by letting you draw cheaply - so take the draw and see what comes or fold. The only reason you would raise is hoping he folds, not call - bear in mind, if you hit your set, any hand with a J beats you

hand 2

only reason not to call is if he has barely raised from the SB. Even then, he is very likely raising with anything expecting you to fold because of the bubble
  • edited June 2011
    raising pair + openender is often fine as you have often good equity when called but I dont like it here because

1. This flop smacks most players calling range
    2. A lot of pairs have a straight draw as well,which reduces our outs
    3. Its a £1 buy in they prob wont fold a pair

btw never raise fold, your hand has way too much equity. To raise though you need players to be able to fold pairs on this board